GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,417
1 members and 1,416 guests
No Members online

Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Ah, SEC recruitment:

two different PNMs, in AZ & AL, who are both rushing at Auburn. NO RECS. I was asked by another NPC alumna more than a month ago to write for them. Neither PNM has contacted me. My deadline of July 1 approaches. The quality of any rec I'd even think of writing is plummeting and soon to disappear into the abyss. The AZ PNM is cocky and thinks that because her sister had a "perfect rush" at AZ w/o recs (and got the top chapter), that she's now a legacy to said chapter & doesn't need recs. She's also uber wealthy, you know - and all that that entitlement brings. Sigh. The AL PNM isn't interested in my chapter, so *shrug* why even bother, she'll drop us after Open House, right? and she doesn't have recs for other chapters either. But, you know, she's special - she's a cheerleader, of course they will all want her.

Yes I have popcorn and sofa and air conditioning to watch this unfold. I truly enjoy saying "I told you so" in these kind of situations. Yes that makes me mean spirited and petty, in these situations. I own it. Insert NinjaPoodle's gif HERE!
Well, where you are air conditioning is a must! Can I have a seat on the sofa?

WIFLSRN: life has a way of working itself out sometimes, and Alpha Delta Pi seems to be involved no matter which way I go. Good news is on the horizon for me
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post

WIFLSRN: life has a way of working itself out sometimes, and Alpha Delta Pi seems to be involved no matter which way I go. Good news is on the horizon for me
always room for you, always.

moving my way? I can hope!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

bug juice camp waziyatah
bug juice camp highlander
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Thinking About Disaffiliating

Hello everyone!

I have been an active member of my sorority for the past four years. I had been very dedicated until becoming a recent alumna.

After doing some reflecting, I feel like being in the organization was more so like running a business than experiencing a sisterhood. I had always promoted Greek Life for what it has to offer and I definitely would not be in the professional opportunities I am experiencing now without being involved in Greek Life very heavily throughout my undergrad.

Reasons that I wish to disaffiliate mainly are from me disagreeing with our new member education as well as the fact that I do not believe my organization has anything to offer me as an alumna.

I feel like the only thing the sorority is benefiting me in is on paper on my resume, but that is all. I have few actual friends in such a small organization (chapter-wise & nationally) and am not sure if this was the sisterhood intended for me.

This is definitely something that has been on my mind for a few months. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Instead of disaffiliation, have you considered taking a break/hiatus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Silver17 View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been an active member of my sorority for the past four years. I had been very dedicated until becoming a recent alumna.

After doing some reflecting, I feel like being in the organization was more so like running a business than experiencing a sisterhood. I had always promoted Greek Life for what it has to offer and I definitely would not be in the professional opportunities I am experiencing now without being involved in Greek Life very heavily throughout my undergrad.

Reasons that I wish to disaffiliate mainly are from me disagreeing with our new member education as well as the fact that I do not believe my organization has anything to offer me as an alumna.

I feel like the only thing the sorority is benefiting me in is on paper on my resume, but that is all. I have few actual friends in such a small organization (chapter-wise & nationally) and am not sure if this was the sisterhood intended for me.

This is definitely something that has been on my mind for a few months. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Is there room for me on the sofa as well, please? I'll bring lots of Wisconsin cheeses to share!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Today is Caturday!!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
Yes! Today was my due date, but my little boy came early and was born last Thursday, May 11th!
Congratulations on your little man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I have a new car!!!!!

I have finally gotten through all the hoops to take over the lease on my late father's Lexus and re-register it in my name. It's a sweeeeeeet car. Poor car - my father only drove it to church and the grocery store and such, and he was a stickler for speed limits, so I think it felt deprived. I got it out on the interstate, opened it up, and OMG was it happy. The ride is so smooth that I didn't even realize how fast I was going until I looked at the speedometer. (Fortunately, I noticed this before the cops did!)

I highly recommend Lexus to ANYONE looking for a new car - especially if the primary driver is an older driver or a new driver. My father's previous Lexus (same car, earlier model year, nothing changed but the model year and the VIN) literally saved his life - he totaled it, but walked away without a scratch. The safety features are top-notch. Just mind your speed.
New cars are always fun! Enjoy your sweet ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
We rescued a kitten this weekend to add to our zoo. So we have 2 bassets, a 17 year old cat, and little Andy. He's 7 weeks old, and was born wild and has known a human touch for only a week. BUT his favorite thing to do is to snuggle in my arms! I'm in love! Josie, the 17 year old cat absolutely hates him, but Memphis and Newman (the bassets) are very protective of him. It's so cute.

What a cutie pie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Ah, SEC recruitment:

two different PNMs, in AZ & AL, who are both rushing at Auburn. NO RECS. I was asked by another NPC alumna more than a month ago to write for them. Neither PNM has contacted me. My deadline of July 1 approaches. The quality of any rec I'd even think of writing is plummeting and soon to disappear into the abyss. The AZ PNM is cocky and thinks that because her sister had a "perfect rush" at AZ w/o recs (and got the top chapter), that she's now a legacy to said chapter & doesn't need recs. She's also uber wealthy, you know - and all that that entitlement brings. Sigh. The AL PNM isn't interested in my chapter, so *shrug* why even bother, she'll drop us after Open House, right? and she doesn't have recs for other chapters either. But, you know, she's special - she's a cheerleader, of course they will all want her.

Yes I have popcorn and sofa and air conditioning to watch this unfold. I truly enjoy saying "I told you so" in these kind of situations. Yes that makes me mean spirited and petty, in these situations. I own it. Insert NinjaPoodle's gif HERE!
Oh no. It always amazes me that with the amount of information at our fingertips, PNMs still choose to rush into recruitment willy nilly without thinking about the consequences. Will you keep us posted?

WIFLS: Anyone care to share some tried and true summer recipes with me that don't require grilling? I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to have dinner when it's so warm out.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Michigan 32
Sparty 23

Drops mic.
Man, Michigan State fell off a cliff after Connor Cook (among other players) left.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 07-03-2017, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

They're having some serious program/player problems, on and off the field.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yearly Reminder---IMPORTANT

Most fraternities and sororities still have Unclaimed Properties being held by government officials in states where fraternities have, or even did have, chapters. Today I viewed three unclaimed property postings in my state for greek chapters that have been closed over thirty years.

My state even lists a range of what the property is worth.

It is possible some of these properties/accounts were kept open for awhile after a chapter closed and then simply forgotten, or an officer died/moved without anyone recalling said officer held signatory to a now unclaimed and greek-titled account or lockbox.

It may be worth your while, as involved alums who read greekchat, to go to those state government websites and type-in your chapters greek names or your regular fraternal greek name (or even a combo of the two) and see what type of properties await your legal claim. As pretend examples: "Gamma Alpha Phi of Sigma Delta Tau" or Pi Beta Phi Tau chapter".

I know within the past two years my sorority finally had my state's listed, unclaimed old properties removed from the list and "claimed".

Last edited by Cheerio; 08-23-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:39 PM

tx_AOII15, I only just saw your reply ... and the car is awesomesauce!!

I just started a new job last week, complete with a relocation to NEW ORLEANS! My husband and I drove the aforementioned awesomesauce car from CT to LA. I'm renting while trying to figure out where to buy. The recent flood has proven to be a good litmus test... my apartment building is temporarily running its leasing office out of a vacant 11th floor apartment!

Eclipse side note: There were temporary signs placed alongside the eclipse totality path in Tennessee a full two weeks ahead of time: "NO PARKING DURING ECLIPSE" LOL
Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What an exciting move! I loved New Orleans when I went there in high school and would absolutely love to go back now that I'm of legal fun-partaking age. My brother and dad went to a tiny school in middle-of-nowhere-Tennessee to see totality and had an amazing time. We got 88% coverage here in VA and it was still noticeably darker.

What I feel like saying: I have a rec girl going through at Clemson who's precious and deserves a sorority home, but has been cut hard and only had two chapters left going into the second round. She seems much more calm about the possibility of being cut entirely than I am. Since my chapter isn't one of them I feel helpless.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 08-24-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want a break from all of this and I'm sick of having to think about it.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Shenanigans!