GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,500
2 members and 2,498 guests
No Members online

Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
stretched lobe piercings, bright red short shaggy hair, Chuck taylors held together with duct tape, and an extra 20 lbs about the middle and still got a pledge pin.

...if i can do it, anyone can.
But that's the thing...it depends on the school. I would definitely NOT reccommend someone going through a competitive recruitment (such as SEC schools) to dress like that.

It may work at your school, but it won't work everywhere.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
stretched lobe piercings, bright red short shaggy hair, Chuck taylors held together with duct tape, and an extra 20 lbs about the middle and still got a pledge pin.

...if i can do it, anyone can.
You go to Otterbein. Otterbein is not a typical college.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
But that's the thing...it depends on the school. I would definitely NOT reccommend someone going through a competitive recruitment (such as SEC schools) to dress like that.

It may work at your school, but it won't work everywhere.
Exactly. It depends on the school, the sorority/sororities there, and the PNM as well. It's also can make a difference to go straight from athletic practice for a school team to recruitment, which I think happened in Phoenix's case.

I wouldn't recommend such attire at Ohio State, which is just about 15 minutes from Otterbein.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Exactly. It depends on the school, the sorority/sororities there, and the PNM as well. It's also can make a difference to go straight from athletic practice for a school team to recruitment, which I think happened in Phoenix's case.

I wouldn't recommend such attire at Ohio State, which is just about 15 minutes from Otterbein.
Right. We had a majorette come through this past recruitment, and she was in her t-shirt and soffee shorts because she has just come from practice. That is completely understandable.

BTW, she's my great-grand little now
Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl come through recruitment last year who literally rolled out of bed, didn't brush her hair, and wore capri pants with her legs unshaved. (I unfortunately know this for a fact because I lived with her, several people on here know who I'm talking about.) That definitely raised a few eyebrows and got people talking. After that, sorority council voted to make PNM's wear business casual attire to recruitment. So they did for Fall recruitment of this year. Most of the girls showed up in jeans and flip flops still. I think maybe only one girl who went through didn't get a bid. I agree with the posters on here who say that looking clean and put together is more important than being pretty. Regarding looks in general, I've found that to girls they only matter when you don't like someone. If for instance you have a friend who's fat or ugly or whatnot, looks never play into it because you see her for what she is. It's only when you get into a fight when you start to say "I hate her, she's so ugly."
Old 01-09-2006, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes looks matter. As was pointed out before... they matter in real life. How you dress says something about you. No matter what.
I look young, and I KNOW people CONSTANTLY make assumptions about me based on that. So when I know I need to be taken more seriously I have to wear more make up, make sure to dress in more "classic" styles wear my glasses and shoes with heels, or I'll never be taken seriously in certain situations because people still think I'm 18, which I'm not I just turned 26.
Sororities will make assumptions based upon your looks, as will the general public As was said, you don't HAVE to be a beauty queen... but it's up to you what you want your "look" to say about you when you rush, and DO put your best foot foward.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Looks definitely mattered in my chapter, however at the same time you could've been the prettiest girl on campus but if you didn't have good grades and you weren't involved in high school, you had no chance. We wanted girls that could keep us going not just in the social arena but academically and otherwise.

And let me just say, people tend to look much better when they're showered and put together. I was always taught never to leave the house without spending some time on my appearance(unless, of course, it's an emergency).

In general, you definitely do not have to be drop dead gorgeous to be in a sorority. Just dress nice and please shower beforehand!

And remember: the most important thing you wear is your attitude!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
You go to Otterbein. Otterbein is not a typical college.
exactly .

No, I know that I wouldn't fit in at many different schools...but that's the thing. Girls come through our recruitment dressed to the 9s, and there's also girls who wear PJ pants and "get away with it" (meaning it doesnt hurt their recruitment prospects). The flipside to all of this is the delayed recruitment...these girls have some sort of tie to sorority members, its inevitable, so appearance is perhaps not chief in importance. But in a situation in which recruitment is perhaps the FIRST thing you do on campus...appearance might be more important. I think as a general rule, there needs to be publicized, reinforced emphasis on "appropriate" dress code, casual, formal, or business. Most girls have no idea what is and is not, so being off put by a rushee's attire may point to the fact that something in the pre-rush communication is missing. However if it well advertised and well communicated to everyone going through rush that jeans are NOT acceptable and business attire is required (incidentally, business attire may need to be defined (pants, skirt, blouse, hard sole shoes comes to mind)) then fair game. And the arguement of "everyone knows it is like this" is sort of tricky...yes you have 1000s of PNMS coming through from the town who's great grandma is on your charter, but there's also that girl who is a first generation rushee and may need a clue.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we have definately established that looks are just a part of life. I think this is especially true for women over men... I love what Sugar and Spice wrote... it really is perfecst to my chapter when I was an undergrad.
When I was in school we stressed polished. I really think it is important to try to look your best, but we all have days when it seems impossible to look your best.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I completely agree with sugar and spice's statement, but would like to add one thing: Hygiene. We had a PNM who looked like the total package - you could almost feel the fight for her starting - until you got close to her. She had the WORST body odor of any woman I've ever seen outside of a gym! I'm talking tears forming in your eyes as you tried to talk to her. If you remember the Seinfeld episode with the valet and the car stench, you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

She did get a bid, although I heard she didn't make the grades.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh thank you honeychile, that can't be said enough! And bad body odor will scare off not just potential sorority sisters, but potential boyfriends and friends, and so on forever. Well, at least for me, I have such a sensative nose Shower and use deoderant with anti-perspirant daily!