GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,385
5 members and 1,380 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what I always thought would have been a brilliant idea? Someone snatching up, or having made, a bunch of simple white dresses to sell at universities as a trunk show either right before bid day or presents. Hell, make it a fundraiser for Panhellenic!

It seems like the problem is even worse at schools that don't require a white dress for bid day (which is closer to summer, at least), but do for Presents, which is pretty firmly in the fall or early winter.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
You know what I always thought would have been a brilliant idea? Someone snatching up, or having made, a bunch of simple white dresses to sell at universities as a trunk show either right before bid day or presents. Hell, make it a fundraiser for Panhellenic!

It seems like the problem is even worse at schools that don't require a white dress for bid day (which is closer to summer, at least), but do for Presents, which is pretty firmly in the fall or early winter.
Our chapter kept a closet full of donated white dresses. A lot of people donated their white dresses when they graduated. If a NM was stuck on a dress, we'd find something for her in the closet. She would keep it until she found a white dress of her own.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm going to convention for the first time this year, and my white dress from college (which I loved) has yellowed a little with age (it's been almost 9 years) and is a little snug, I just ordered a new white dress.

PNMs, if you want to go the online route (not always great since if it doesn't work you have to send it back and you have less time), try eShakti. Often you can customize your dress to what your group requires. Naturally, you'll probably only want to customize for initiation if white dress is required, you won't know what you need for presents unless your university spells it out for you.

I ordered this dress from there:

(Direct link in case you want it: http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL002...k-poplin-dress)

I customized it so that instead of above-the-knee length, it'll be full length. I'll have to wear a white cardigan but I was expecting that with anything since sleeves are apparently sooooooooo 1950s.

They have a bunch of white options right now (summer), and they all look pretty cute. I've been happy with the fit and quality of everything I've ordered from there. You can also customize sizes, so, if you're usually a 4, but you're a 6 in the bust, you can take your measurements. I just fit into a regular size. Customization is usually $7.50 or so. Today it just so happens that they have free customization.

For us older ladies going to convention who haven't had to search for white dresses in 800 years, this was much less stressful!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

very pretty!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Daughter is graduating in a week (quarter system)- I used to always be on the lookout for a new cute white dress around this time, along with cute date party/formal dresses- don't need to any more, and it feels really weird.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ I hear you. We went for 5 years without a daughter rushing after having 6 straight recruitments and I would go into certain stores in the mall with an eye out for good recruitment outfits.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Since I'm going to convention for the first time this year, and my white dress from college (which I loved) has yellowed a little with age (it's been almost 9 years) and is a little snug, I just ordered a new white dress.

PNMs, if you want to go the online route (not always great since if it doesn't work you have to send it back and you have less time), try eShakti. Often you can customize your dress to what your group requires. Naturally, you'll probably only want to customize for initiation if white dress is required, you won't know what you need for presents unless your university spells it out for you.

I ordered this dress from there:

(Direct link in case you want it: http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL002...k-poplin-dress)

I customized it so that instead of above-the-knee length, it'll be full length. I'll have to wear a white cardigan but I was expecting that with anything since sleeves are apparently sooooooooo 1950s.

They have a bunch of white options right now (summer), and they all look pretty cute. I've been happy with the fit and quality of everything I've ordered from there. You can also customize sizes, so, if you're usually a 4, but you're a 6 in the bust, you can take your measurements. I just fit into a regular size. Customization is usually $7.50 or so. Today it just so happens that they have free customization.

For us older ladies going to convention who haven't had to search for white dresses in 800 years, this was much less stressful!
LOVE THEM!

And love that you're going to Convention! Convention was pretty much the best thing EVER. Can't wait to do it again in 2013.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I found one yesterday at JCrew that was on sale for $50 (it was originally $150)!!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post

Hypo got her graduation dress from eshakti. I love that you can customize stuff on there. I think she had different sleeves on one dress than it originally came with. That dress looks great. I have to go with an old convention dress, but it should fit fine. I should probably try it on though. I hear you have the most amazing roomie ever for Convention. 34 days!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw some cute white dresses, Bloomingdales' Aqua line, on clearance. About $40...yes, strapless but with lace...really cute.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I was just at Old Navy and saw quite a pretty white sundress for $17. A good choice for a PNM on a tight budget. They have a number of them online; I like this one: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=463609012 It's like, 1920 all over again.
A very cute dress, but PNMs should probably go with a true white dress-think cotton ball color(not off white, or Dumpling as the Old Navy dress color is called) to be on the safe side.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Saw some in a window at Delia's today: http://store.delias.com/browse.do;js...vdresses.white
Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Darn this thread. I ordered a new white dress for Convention. And bought new white shoes. Please note, it is even harder to find white shoes in the fall than it is to find white dresses so keep that in mind too, PNMs.

So, for the plus size women out there, onestopplus.com has a ton of appropriate whites for varying ages.

ETA link: http://www.onestopplus.com/Plus-Size...03,1000000517&
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wearing the same white dress I've been wearing for the past 3 Conventions...from Hanna Andersson.

We just wear white socks if we don't have white shoes. I love that, because I'm not really a white shoe fan.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Random etiquette question: I'm pretty chest heavy, so even my turtlenecks become low cut. Would it be rude to wear a white tank top under it? Also, FYI, for the cheaper PNMs: Dots has some white dresses for under $20 (I bought mine for my graduation, it was $18, and plus sized which is always more costly).