GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,535
3 members and 2,532 guests
John, LaneSig, navane

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it weird to contact a sorority through Facebook?

My friend told me that a sorority I'm interested in is doing a Spring Rush. I checked out their Facebook page today and saw that they just added 5 new pledges. I wanted to message them and ask if they are still doing a Spring recruitment. Is it strange to message them through their Chapter Facebook page? My university doesn't do formal recruitment for sororities in the Spring, so it's hard to know when and how to get involved in it.

Should I just contact the Greek Life office at my university? I'm kind of anxious to find out whether or not I can still rush, so I thought Facebook would be an efficient way to get answers, but I don't want to come off as desperate.

So yes or no?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I, personally, do not see using fb as desperate per se, but i'm not big on that type of communication. As a member of a GLO, i would rather an interested woman go through the proper channels and contact the chapter directly, especially about recruitment. Of course, if the organization specifies that contact via fb is fine then disregard.

Going directly to the greek life office is always a good choice as well. They should be able to answer your questions too.

Disclaimer: my organization does not participate in rush so this is a bit of a lane swerve for me.

Last edited by Matsimela; 01-30-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My university doesn't have any information on Spring sorority recruitment, but I know it exists, because I've heard of girls doing it all the time. It's supposedly super informal and laid back as opposed to Fall. I thought I might get quicker info from the chapter themselves, instead of the Greek Life offices, but if it looks better to wait and call then I'll do it. Any other opinions on this?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it would hurt to contact them through facebook. If it is super informal as you say, then I don't think it's out of line. Just don't be annoying, if you contact them once and don't hear anything back, then let it go. :-)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Instead of messaging the chapter through their facebook page, I'd email the VP Recruitment or President if their emails are on their facebook page or website.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNoelle View Post
My friend told me that a sorority I'm interested in is doing a Spring Rush. I checked out their Facebook page today and saw that they just added 5 new pledges. I wanted to message them and ask if they are still doing a Spring recruitment. Is it strange to message them through their Chapter Facebook page? My university doesn't do formal recruitment for sororities in the Spring, so it's hard to know when and how to get involved in it.

Should I just contact the Greek Life office at my university? I'm kind of anxious to find out whether or not I can still rush, so I thought Facebook would be an efficient way to get answers, but I don't want to come off as desperate.

So yes or no?
Why would you contact a sorority on Facebook? Get in contact with them through your school.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there a name attached to these facebook updates? Chances are it's a recruitment or membership chair- check their name, then look up their email or phone number in your university directory and contact them that way. Making initial contact through facebook is unprofessional and you want to make a good impression in a recruitment situation. If you are having trouble finding the correct officer's name, call the Greek Life office at your school and ask for a name and/or contact information for the sorority, or ask a friend you have in the chapter. They can be much more helpful than we can.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter creates events on Facebook for our informal recruitment, and girls can get all the information that way. It also has our recruitment director's contact info on the event page, so it's easy to get in contact. I think it's fine, as long as you're not saying something like "yOoOo girl what up?" and you keep it professional.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNoelle View Post
My friend told me that a sorority I'm interested in is doing a Spring Rush.
Who is your friend? A member of the sorority? A member of another sorority? A roommate or close friend of a sister? Or someone with no connection to the group whatsoever?

If you're contacting them just because "your friend heard it" (esp if your friend means nothing to any of the sisters) you might end up making a social faux pas - i.e. the sorority wanted to keep their informal rushing on the down low and/or they already had in mind the 5 women they wanted to give bids to and/or they only had 5 spots open that have now been filled.

I honestly would ask the Greek life director if s/he knows if the sorority in question is able to bid any more members. If the GLD says that they are, EMAIL (don't facebook contact) the contact that the GLD has regarding recruitment.