GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 622
2 members and 620 guests
davidsholzeo679, Xidelt

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to DPhiE

The edit button has become my new best friend
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I must say congratulations to Sigma Chi. WOW! After 128 years. Outstanding.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSig View Post
The Sigma Chapter of Sigma Chi will return after approximately 128 years of inactivity! 36 new Brothers will be initiated after having worked diligently for almost two years to bring this day to fruition.

Congratulations to all of them!
Wow ! Congrats!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM

The Kappa Sigma chapter at Cornell University has been closed due to RMF.

http://cornellsun.com/section/news/c...-down-national

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Update: Penn will add a new sorority earlier than originally anticipated. See:

http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/ar...-be-added-2011

Excerpt:

. . . by Jared McDonald | Monday, May 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm

The Panhellenic Council extension committee unanimously voted Monday to add a new sorority to campus in 2011 rather than 2012, according to Panhel President and College junior Darby Nelson.

The new sorority will be Penn's eighth, following Friday's announcement that Phi Sigma Sigma will be closing at the end of the academic year.

The extension committee — made up of presidents and representatives from each sorority — voted April 22 to add another sorority to campus to accommodate a rise in interest in sorority life at Penn. Monday's vote determined whether the new sorority would be added in 2011 or 2012, according to Nelson.

Nelson said Phi Sig representatives opted out of both votes, as the sorority will no longer be active at Penn next year.

This summer, national organizations of sororities not currently represented on campus can apply to be considered for extension at Penn. . . . Panhel's extension committee will review applications in the fall and decide which sorority to add. Following formal recruitment by other sororities in spring 2011, the new sorority will informally recruit members, according to Nelson.

Nelson said the extension committee has "no clue as of now" as to the number of sororities that will submit applications. . . .
So did Phi Sigma Sigma recolonize immediately after their members resigned during the events discussed in that 2002 thread and now they are closing the recoloned chapter? Or did something else happen?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
So did Phi Sigma Sigma recolonize immediately after their members resigned during the events discussed in that 2002 thread and now they are closing the recoloned chapter? Or did something else happen?
This has got to be painful for the ladies of Phi Sigma Sigma. Imagine your chapter closing for certain reasons and then you find out that another chapter of some other sorority is going to be added to your campus to take your place. That sucks for them! I really wish them well. I'm sure they will all be great, though.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
They reopened like a year afterward. They are now closing that recolonized chapter.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They reopened like a year afterward. They are now closing that recolonized chapter.
That's really sad. I thought the conventional wisdom when recolonizing a closed chapter was to wait long enough so all the other Greeks who knew about the previous reputation had graduated and moved on.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's really sad. I thought the conventional wisdom when recolonizing a closed chapter was to wait long enough so all the other Greeks who knew about the previous reputation had graduated and moved on.
not always. I know Alpha Gamma Delta's chapter at Ohio State did a quick turn-around and it has so far been successsful (I think they were "off" campus for a semester before they reorganized).

My personal opinion is that is all depends on the overall reputation- if it is a large campus where greek life isn't everything, that a quick turn around would be easier than a campus where it is everything and everyone knows the tent talk even if they aren't greek. (I have no idea how big greek life is at Penn)

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Unless you're afraid of losing your spot and never getting it back. I'm guessing that's also why AGD recolonized quickly at Ohio State as well. You have a year to recolonize without getting kicked out (for lack of a better phrase) of Panhel.

I think this was one of the chapters (along w/ SDT) that used to serve as a Jewish group, but not so much now, so that "niche" is gone. Also, Sigma Kappa colonized in 2002 as it was - I think that process was underway before the mass disaffiliation/temporary disbanding ever came about.

There are many o' articles at thedp.com.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Unless you're afraid of losing your spot and never getting it back. I'm guessing that's also why AGD recolonized quickly at Ohio State as well. You have a year to recolonize without getting kicked out (for lack of a better phrase) of Panhel.

I think this was one of the chapters (along w/ SDT) that used to serve as a Jewish group, but not so much now, so that "niche" is gone. Also, Sigma Kappa colonized in 2002 as it was - I think that process was underway before the mass disaffiliation/temporary disbanding ever came about.

There are many o' articles at thedp.com.
In 2006, it wasn't a recolonization, it was a reorganization. Alpha Lambda of Alpha Gamma Delta recolonized in 1979/1980.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
not always. I know Alpha Gamma Delta's chapter at Ohio State did a quick turn-around and it has so far been successsful (I think they were "off" campus for a semester before they reorganized).

My personal opinion is that is all depends on the overall reputation- if it is a large campus where greek life isn't everything, that a quick turn around would be easier than a campus where it is everything and everyone knows the tent talk even if they aren't greek. (I have no idea how big greek life is at Penn)
This happened with Delta Zeta and Alpha Xi Delta at UK. Delta Zeta has been successful since, Alpha Xi Delta never recovered even after the recolonization and they folded.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I remember when Phi Sigma Sigma originally closed at Penn, it was all very hushed about what was happening, but I do remember that they were closing, or closed already, and then all of a sudden, they were back. Size wise, they never really seemed to recover from that. As for Penn opening for expansion, I believe that the other sororities are doing very well, and Penn has decided that they aren't going to let one group who is lagging behind, for whatever reason, hinder their growth. I've seen it happen before, and while it does suck, you can only do so much before you have to move on. I feel badly for their women though
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Lehigh University is open for expansion:

http://lehighgreeks.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
In 2006, it wasn't a recolonization, it was a reorganization. Alpha Lambda of Alpha Gamma Delta recolonized in 1979/1980.
If every single one of the "old" sisters are gone and no longer active, to me that's a recolonization - whether it happens within a year or within 50. "Reorganization" is keeping the old girls and bringing nationals in to do hardcore rushing, and most likely giving some new girls offices and such.