GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

To my classmate: Ummm, believe what you want, but there is no such thing as UFOs. An impossibility.

eta: I should add this to my "dumb things people say" siggy.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 01-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

So my Phi Delt interview went great and I'll know in a week whether or not I get to be a Founding Father. Woohoo!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
Our situations are more alike than you know. I am in Ohio for med school and my boyfriend is doing his PhD at.....Penn State!

Btw, I absolutely adore your alma mater. I've spent a lot of time in State College over the past year, and it has one of the best campus atmospheres I've ever experienced.
Sooo excited for you (and the potential for you being "asked!")

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I own 98 different types/colors of yarn, and some I have more than one ball/skein. I also have fiber to spin into more yarn. I am on a yarn diet this year, I can't purchase any yarn and can only receive gifts of it or trade with someone else.

Now I know where my money went when I stopped drinking, holy crap I have a lot of yarn. What is worse is that I have projects planned for most all the yarn, so I really will be an old lady knitting with my cats. The fact that I could knit over 20 pairs of adults socks is a bit disturbing.
I say this to hopefully raise your spirits: as most dog people know, bichon frise hair doesn't cause allergic reactions. Bichons also need (NEED!) to be groomed at least once every 6-8 weeks, max.

I know a woman who washes the floor at her dog's groomer prior to being groomed, then sweeps up the clipped hair and bags it. When she gets home, she combs and spins it, and sells the hair yarn! It's terribly soft and lovely, but the price is astronomical!

So, when you worry about being the knitting cat lady, just think, "I have more of a life than a woman who spins her dog's hair!"
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post
So my Phi Delt interview went great and I'll know in a week whether or not I get to be a Founding Father. Woohoo!
That's great! Congratulations and best of luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I love Saint Chapelle...I was actually just looking it up on Google! I want my sister to see that cathedral. What a beautiful work of art! It is truly awe-inspiring! The thing I love most about Paris is how every inch of that city is lovely. My husband and I are foodies so we're definitely going to wander through the cheese and chocolate shops that we didn't get to do before because it was snowing and our Southern blood was just a little too thin!
My dad bitched and moaned the entire time we were waiting in line, going through the metal detectors, waiting in line again, and paying... until he got inside. Then he understood why it was so important that we go there. I don't understand how people can go to Paris and ooooh and aaaah over Notre Dame but not even make it to Saint Chapelle!

I'm not going to lie - I worry about the church falling down (did you notice the gargoyles that have fallen off the facade laying on the ground?).

Swear on my life - the Latin Quarter has some fantastic little cafes. I was so excited for my dad and I to go because although we did to the major tourist attractions (it was his first time) we also did a lot of "off the beaten path" type things. For a French Lit nut like myself it was a delightful trip, even though my dad worked me to the bone the entire time (he does not speak French and I had to force him into starting to learn).
Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
Our situations are more alike than you know. I am in Ohio for med school and my boyfriend is doing his PhD at.....Penn State!

Btw, I absolutely adore your alma mater. I've spent a lot of time in State College over the past year, and it has one of the best campus atmospheres I've ever experienced.
Love Happy Valley (not so much PSU! )! My daddy's relatives all had houses near Whipple Dam, and I'd love to see what it looks like now. The different GLOs would have contests at Whipple Dam, like snow sculptures. Somewhere, there's a picture of a toddler me looking up at a huge T Rex from the PSU newspaper.

Sending you good Disney vibes!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
My dad bitched and moaned the entire time we were waiting in line, going through the metal detectors, waiting in line again, and paying... until he got inside. Then he understood why it was so important that we go there. I don't understand how people can go to Paris and ooooh and aaaah over Notre Dame but not even make it to Saint Chapelle!

I'm not going to lie - I worry about the church falling down (did you notice the gargoyles that have fallen off the facade laying on the ground?).

Swear on my life - the Latin Quarter has some fantastic little cafes. I was so excited for my dad and I to go because although we did to the major tourist attractions (it was his first time) we also did a lot of "off the beaten path" type things. For a French Lit nut like myself it was a delightful trip, even though my dad worked me to the bone the entire time (he does not speak French and I had to force him into starting to learn).
I haven't been to Saint Chapelle =[ It's super depressing, because I have been to Notre Dame twice (once on Palm Sunday, it was sooo crowded in there that I just got out immediately) and got accosted by a gypsy the last time I was there! Of course, both times I went to Paris it was only for a week with people from my school, so we had limited time there. I would love to do "off the beaten path" things, because I find Paris a little too big and "meh" now. I love some of the other cities so much more, like Nice and Bordeaux!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Ha...we speak no French...I understand quite a bit but refuse to speak it out of embarrassment over my accent. I learned on our last trip, however, that Parisians are delightful when you speak English and are polite when they aren't overrun with tourists who aren't paying! I will definitely be spending time in the Latin Quarter. We went to a 2 star restaurant last time called Le Sur...it was wonderful, but so unnecessary considering how wonderful the food was at every brasserie and cafe we went to for a much more reasonable price.
I would live in Paris if I could find a job for my husband there. I can do telerad from Paris, no problem.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomplemousse12 View Post
I haven't been to Saint Chapelle =[ It's super depressing, because I have been to Notre Dame twice (once on Palm Sunday, it was sooo crowded in there that I just got out immediately) and got accosted by a gypsy the last time I was there! Of course, both times I went to Paris it was only for a week with people from my school, so we had limited time there. I would love to do "off the beaten path" things, because I find Paris a little too big and "meh" now. I love some of the other cities so much more, like Nice and Bordeaux!
I spent a little time with a family in Marseille, while there we visited Cannes, Nice, and Monte Carlo. Such a gorgeous area! It's also so interesting to see people doing things the way they have done them for hundreds of years. Fishing the same way, making wine the same way... it's fantastic!

Most beautiful place I've seen ever on the planet, particularly on nice sunny days because every color is so pure and sooo bright!

ETA: I should put another shameless plug in for Marseille: It's the oldest populated place in France. It's said that residents have lived there for over 30,000 years. It's also a good location to go all up and down the French Riviera from - either direction you go (East or West) there's so much to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Ha...we speak no French...I understand quite a bit but refuse to speak it out of embarrassment over my accent. I learned on our last trip, however, that Parisians are delightful when you speak English and are polite when they aren't overrun with tourists who aren't paying! I will definitely be spending time in the Latin Quarter. We went to a 2 star restaurant last time called Le Sur...it was wonderful, but so unnecessary considering how wonderful the food was at every brasserie and cafe we went to for a much more reasonable price.
I would live in Paris if I could find a job for my husband there. I can do telerad from Paris, no problem.
I've found that Parisiennes are more polite (to me) if I speak French, but I have more than a basic or workable knowledge of the language, so they don't often switch over to English on me. Similar to living in a big city in the US - even walking down the street in Chicago I find that I have much less time to have someone bothering me about directions than I did when I first moved here. I've had many comments on my accent, though, since it's not Parisienne but not American either - spending time with and having close contact with a French-Italian family in the South of France will do that to you!

I should add that Live-in and I are probably going to be taking a trip to France in the next nine months or so, depending on the impending life changes in store for us - I'm hoping we can do something different than breeze into Paris since time won't necessarily be a factor. Also on the list: Spain (again - another country I just loved), Germany, Switzerland, Italy. Basically, (minus Spain), I know that if he can ski there, he will go there.

Last edited by agzg; 01-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS TO NURSERY/PRESCHOOL WHEN THEY HAVE GREEN SNOT POURING OUT THEIR NOSE, DIARRHEA, A NASTY COUGH, AND NOT ACTING WELL IN GENERAL! They will make the well kids sick!

Thank you please drive thru.
Same thing for adults.

Please pull to the front window.

Management decided that the constant coverage of Haiti is too much for our sensitive clientele () so they are playing Disney movies. I wanna watch Aladdin!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I spent a little time with a family in Marseille, while there we visited Cannes, Nice, and Monte Carlo. Such a gorgeous area! It's also so interesting to see people doing things the way they have done them for hundreds of years. Fishing the same way, making wine the same way... it's fantastic!

Most beautiful place I've seen ever on the planet, particularly on nice sunny days because every color is so pure and sooo bright!

ETA: I should put another shameless plug in for Marseille: It's the oldest populated place in France. It's said that residents have lived there for over 30,000 years. It's also a good location to go all up and down the French Riviera from - either direction you go (East or West) there's so much to see!

I've found that Parisiennes are more polite (to me) if I speak French, but I have more than a basic or workable knowledge of the language, so they don't often switch over to English on me. Similar to living in a big city in the US - even walking down the street in Chicago I find that I have much less time to have someone bothering me about directions than I did when I first moved here. I've had many comments on my accent, though, since it's not Parisienne but not American either - spending time with and having close contact with a French-Italian family in the South of France will do that to you!

I should add that Live-in and I are probably going to be taking a trip to France in the next nine months or so, depending on the impending life changes in store for us - I'm hoping we can do something different than breeze into Paris since time won't necessarily be a factor. Also on the list: Spain (again - another country I just loved), Germany, Switzerland, Italy. Basically, (minus Spain), I know that if he can ski there, he will go there.
I would love to have that fluency with French. I'm really jealous, but I don't have the ear. I think they prefer to skip to English than hear someone butcher their language. Ha! I haven't decided where we'll go next. I was adamant about staying an entire trip in Paris this time. Last time we went to Nice....which I loved, as well, but I really just want to focus on Paris since it is so big. Barcelona and Madrid were included on that last trip, too. I'd love to do Germany. Try Sweden....I LOVE Stockholm. Plus, I went with two natives who took us around to several small towns...it was fabulous!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

RIP, Pizza Man. You will be dearly missed.

My very favorite restaurant, along with several other restaurants and many apartments, burned to the ground this morning.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Have you ever accidentally hurt yourself and you feel really stupid because you saw it coming?

I was reaching for the brown sugar out of the top cabinet and I said to myself "that would really suck if that thing of coffee fell off that edge and hit me." Instead of making sure the coffee didn't fall and hit me, I left it up to chance (or stupidity).

Welp...all I could say out loud when it happened was "oh shit...damn, that sucks...."
Yes. I reached for something and saw a can of tomatoes kind of hanging on the edge of the shelf, and said to myself "I hope that doesn't fall off and hit me." I reached over it to get what I was looking for, and yep, it fell.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Have you ever accidentally hurt yourself and you feel really stupid because you saw it coming?

I was reaching for the brown sugar out of the top cabinet and I said to myself "that would really suck if that thing of coffee fell off that edge and hit me." Instead of making sure the coffee didn't fall and hit me, I left it up to chance (or stupidity).

Welp...all I could say out loud when it happened was "oh shit...damn, that sucks...."
i do this ALL the time. i never learn and they always cause permanent scarring.