GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,545
2 members and 1,543 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

"Incorporated"

This is a curiosity question because I genuinely do not know or understand the reasoning and am just looking for information, so please do not flame me

Why do NPHC groups and other minority GLO's all refer to themselves as "Incorporated" when talking about their group (IE: "Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.") I see this all the time when it comes to BGLO and other non-caucasian groups, but never amongst NPC and NIC groups, or amongst other non-social groups (Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma, etc.) unless a particular chapter is made up of predominantly minority students.

To my knowledge, EVERY national GLO is incorporated in one way or another, so it is not like these groups have a status the other ones do not. Could someone explain the reasoning behind putting emphasis on the incorporation status?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a few threads that I've seen about this topic. I'll add links for you when I find them.

ETA: Here are a few I've found. Do a search if you want more.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...=incorporation

Last edited by knight_shadow; 04-01-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Randy,

The emphasis is because, at the time of their founding, it was very difficult if not almost impossible for African-Americans to form legal corporations, etc. It is a great source of pride that the founders of the NPHC groups were able to incorporate their organizations at a time when many in their community could not do so.

Barbara
Pretty much the best general answer you're going to get. Thanks Babs! And thanks KS for linking it.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting reads, especially when looking at why other GLO's who are not culturally-based but exist on HBCU campuses adopt similar mannerism.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always wondered about that - thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Randy,

The emphasis is because, at the time of their founding, it was very difficult if not almost impossible for African-Americans to form legal corporations, etc. It is a great source of pride that the founders of the NPHC groups were able to incorporate their organizations at a time when many in their community could not do so.

Barbara

Alright, I understand this explanation.

But I was wondering how come the minority GLOs do the same, since they were founded much later (1970s on up, for the most part- not saying all of them were) than the BGLOs.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Alright, I understand this explanation.

But I was wondering how come the minority GLOs do the same, since they were founded much later (1970s on up, for the most part- not saying all of them were) than the BGLOs.

That's a good point. I can understand the BGLOs. But there's orgs that were formed in the last 10-15 years who like to throw on the "Inc."... it's like, so what? You can fill out a form and pay a fee to your state's department of state? In this day and age, it's not like it's a major accomplishment, and it's not something that sets you apart.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Educated guesses:

1) Other "minority" GLOs consider themselves to be peers of NPHC organizations.
2) Incorporation may have been difficult for them as well and it's a sense of pride.
3) It was the campus standard.
4) May have been assisted by NPHC members.

I lean toward number one, though. If an organization was founded for cultural or multicultural purposes and NPHC organizations were the closest model to what they were looking for, then it makes sense to me that certain traditions made sense to the founders of those orgs.

Or even better, if the lack of "incorporated" in the title would make an org seem illegitimate among its peers, then I can see them wanting it.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Educated guesses:

1) Other "minority" GLOs consider themselves to be peers of NPHC organizations.
Yeah, that seems to be the best explanation.
I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

No offense...
Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

lol .....
Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to H0NEY1987
I didnt want to start a new thread but
I wanted to know, is it necessary for a sorority to become incorporated to gain national status? If not, how is it that some organizations become nationally recognized with just one chapter?
( the groups are not considered national but they are known nationally as fraternity or sorority groups)
Also, does a sorority need to become a part of a national council if it is seeking national status?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0NEY1987 View Post
I wanted to know, is it necessary for a sorority to become incorporated to gain national status? If not, how is it that some organizations become nationally recognized with just one chapter?
( the groups are not considered national but they are known nationally as fraternity or sorority groups)
Also, does a sorority need to become a part of a national council if it is seeking national status?
What?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
That's a good point. I can understand the BGLOs. But there's orgs that were formed in the last 10-15 years who like to throw on the "Inc."... it's like, so what? You can fill out a form and pay a fee to your state's department of state? In this day and age, it's not like it's a major accomplishment, and it's not something that sets you apart.
I'll speak for Theta Nu Xi. Incorporation is a major accomplishment for an up-and-coming organization. Few people on Greek Chat (or offline) have any concept of the dedication and confidence it takes to claim membership in an organization that is not mainstream and is still very young. The current members of Theta Nu Xi are building a reputation through hard work and social action; a reputation that will be appreciated by the women who will eventually celebrate our centennial.

Our formal title is "Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Incorporated." There was a time that we were "Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority." Gaining incorporated status was an enormous status leap for a small organization like ours and serves to remind us all of our commitment to professionalism.

Calling the sorority by its full title is an expression of respect for us. We formally recognize each woman who signed the incorporation papers, because it was a historic and important moment for us. It is part of our tradition.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 04-22-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0NEY1987 View Post
The incorporated status is filed with the IRS, local, state and Federal business offices so that the concepts and ideas of the organization are kept in perpetuity and rarely changes without the membership voting to change it.

Typically, sororities don't have to be a part of council, however, the colleges and universities are requiring being part of a larger group because of liability reasons.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 04-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Few people on Greek Chat (or offline) have any concept of the dedication and confidence it takes to claim membership in an organization that is not mainstream and is still very young. . . . There was a time that we were "Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority." Gaining incorporated status was an enormous status leap for a small organization like ours and serves to remind us all of our commitment to professionalism.
Please know that I mean absolutely no disrespect to Theta Nu Xi.

But I don't want anyone getting the idea that it's really, really difficult to form a corporation. It's not; it's actually pretty easy.

Keeping it going, of course, may be another story.