GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,124
0 members and 1,124 guests
No Members online

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless shallow is something you aspire to... and for some people, it is. Actually, I'd bet those chapters must be doing a pretty good job of weeding out the girls who are in it for the wrong reasons.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
That's what I was thinking. All the article did was make it possible for people with no UT connection to know the "rankings." Everybody who's attended UT in the last 80 years and gave Greek life a second thought already knew, and would still know if there were no article.
Exactly. Think of it as that ranking-site-which-shall-not-be-named with only one person's perspective taken as gospel and no rebuttal. At least today if someone posted an article like that, there would be internet banter about it to dispel the tier ranking.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
SECKDLady

Bravo Pineapple! Please write a book!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Or, write an article that addresses the weaknesses in that 30 year old article and perpetuates ridiculous stereotypes! and incorporates all the most excellent points you made in your post.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Unless shallow is something you aspire to... and for some people, it is. Actually, I'd bet those chapters must be doing a pretty good job of weeding out the girls who are in it for the wrong reasons.

Here is the problem. "Those chapters" do not do a good job of weeding out the girls who are in it for the wrong reasons because a great number of them started in their chapter for those same wrong reasons. This is exactly why this 30 year battle has been on going. It is so interesting to me, as many have said, that the article is not universally flattering. If you hold an actual copy the magazine in your hand, you will find out milk was 25 cents a gallon. Yet, people who continue to use it as a guide for UT recruitment don't see the irony in that. I think the fashion guide that accompanied that article did more harm than the actually article. It stressed the way girls dressed, the cars in the parking lots, etc. It made it completely materialistic. It pitted house against house with terms like "bless her heart...she never will be"...the death kiss of southern culture.

Last edited by pinapple; 08-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
The greek system at the University of Texas is strong. There are dynamic and intelligent women at every single house. And lots of them. Each and every house is filled with leaders, beautiful women, smart women, honors students, and good friends. They each value sisterhood. They have each others backs. This does not change based on the letters on their chests. They each know they have wonderful things to offer.
AMEN!! Thank you pinapple.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

One more thing....people wear rose colored glasses when looking at UT recruitment. They want things to be the same for sake of their snowflakes. (Don't you know Suzy Q is DESTINED to be a Texas ABC??) Yet the article tells us all that certain house are filled with the GPA leaders, etc. And today those chapters are sweeping the basement of the GPA rankings, but that of course can be overlooked because it is convenient to do so.

It is very disheartening to listen and observe on bid day. Mom's who daughter's did not hit the historical sorority lottery, spend the day following their daughter telling them everyone that did.."Suzy..can you believe it? Sarah Snowflake pledged Texas ABC..." As if to tell her that she is a major disappointment to her mother. Her mother needs to get over it. What her mom may not understand that 1. Suzy might be happy, 2. This may not have been Suzy's number one choice, but following her around on bid telling her who else did get that house is just mean 3. And as shocking as this might be to mom...maybe this is just a better fit for her daughter.

One can only hope that for a mom like this, her daughter ends up experiencing an incredible sisterhood that becomes the envy of her mother. Because if her mom was a Texas ABC for the wrong reason she more than likely did not get the opportunity to experience a true, life changing sisterhood. And that my friends, is the biggest tragedy of them all.

Last edited by pinapple; 08-30-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

GC needs a like button!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

It sure does!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
... terms like "bless her heart...she never will be"...the death kiss of southern culture.
True then, true now.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Upperclassman quota was not meant for you. It was meant for the women, primarily, that are part of the CAP program that will not come to campus until their sophomore years or students that transfer from other schools. They have a fresh start.
Good point.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmomsecgrad View Post
So proud of UT DG's and their 73 new member class 12! They also had BEVO make a personal appearance as the ladies arrived!
Hooray for Beta Eta! Such good news!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=1&permPage=1

Great Pictures from bid day...LOVE the one of the chairs with the envelopes....so much promise on those pieces of paper.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Ladybugmom;2173202]Here's what I know from FB stalking

DDD 78
AXO 76
AXID 73
KD 84
ADPI 86
DG 73
KKG
PBP
APHI 73
XO
ZTA 75...they said on FB that they have 20 legacies
KAT 73
AEPHI

Ladybugmom-
AEPhi national just announced 75 new members!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=norcal aephi;2174236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugmom View Post
Here's what I know from FB stalking

DDD 78
AXO 76
AXID 73
KD 84
ADPI 86
DG 73
KKG
PBP
APHI 73
XO
ZTA 75...they said on FB that they have 20 legacies
KAT 73
AEPHI

Ladybugmom-
AEPhi national just announced 75 new members!
Thanks!! I just updated my post..has anyone heard about XO, KKG, or PBP?