GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,382
2 members and 2,380 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Where to find pretty dresses and skirts?

I need some fresh inspiration. Where do you find pretty dresses and skirts for summer? And I'm talking for women who are over 40, don't wear a size 4, and want to keep it in the Land's End/LL Bean price range (or less). I'm interested in anything - casual for home, out and about, church dresses, etc.

It's getting harder and harder to find pretty things that fit regular women and don't cost a bundle.

Anyone have some suggestions? TIA!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Kohl's and Dress Barn are two places where I have found many cute, flattering outfits for work or social events. Also, Macy's Style & Co., line has many attractive options. The Inc. line at Macy's is more fashion forward, but geared to women who are well out of their teens and twenties.

Last edited by oncegreek; 03-10-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been shopping at Coldwater Creek in recent years and I'm among the over 40 set. They have some really nice skirts and dresses. Their sale prices are really good too. I'd say it's definitely worth at least a look online. http://coldwatercreek.com

Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I like Boden, J. Crew, and Ann Taylor usually have nice summer dresses and skirts for work or going out. Boden uses European sizing and it's hit or miss sometimes depending on style, but the clothes are fashionable without being too short or too young looking.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll add my vote for Coldwater Creek with a caveat: their sizes are not consistent so I would be careful about ordering online. The good news is you could end up in something 2 sizes smaller. The bad news is you could end up in something 2 sizes bigger.

Another caveat: they can veer toward old lady/frumpy. They definitely have very cute stuff so don't freak out and leave if you see polyester pant suits when you walk in the door.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I shop Kohl's, the sale racks at Macy's, Ross Dress for Less, sales/clearance at Travelsmith.com, J. Crew, Eddie Bauer, etc.

I think I do best at Macy's and Ross. I found a really cute Ralph Lauren dress at Macy's for under $20 last week. It was marked down from $140.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Kohl's and Ross are definitely the best places to go. Also depending on your local store - Sears and Penneys can have nice things too. (This varies GREATLY from store to store though.)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I like TJMaxx, myself, but they vary a ton from one location to the next.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the replies...

Coldwater Creek used to be a favorite, but can't find anything in there now. I don't know who their size models are, but my body is completely different. And our store rarely carries dresses so unless I order them I'm out of luck. I got the catalog with the letter from the founder who went back to the company to try to basically save it. I don't know who was running it the past five year or so but they took a great catalog and completely destroyed it. Ten years ago I could drool through their catalog and theoretically drop $1k in five minutes. The past few years I junk it.

I don't have much luck in Kohl's, Penny's, TJ Maxx, Sears, etc.

I don't think we have Ross around here.

I do look at Macy's from time to time, but what they have that I like is usually more than I want to spend.

I have had some success at Younkers, but that's kind of hit and miss.

I was a big Talbot's fan until they went off the deep end. IMHO they are a shadow of what they used to be. I don't even look at the catalog when it comes. I feel the same way about Eddie Bauer and LL Bean. Both used to be great and now they are just trendy, slim cut stuff that doesn't work for a lot of women as we get older.

Part of the issue is that everyone dresses so casually now that there just aren't a lot of options. I'm old school and like to look nice in a classic sense. I'm really hoping that the Duchess of Cambridge brings about a bit of a change over the next few years. She knows how to look classy and smart at the same time.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Where I currently live we get around that by visiting the tailor. That wouldn't be cost effective for you, but for me I can get a custom made dress that fits me perfectly for usually less than $100. I've even paid around that for ball gowns!

I really like Liz Claiborne for classic look and fit. If there's an outlet near you, I'd check it out regularly. Outlets can be so hit and miss that if you like the brand you just have to keep going back. And retail stores never seem to carry enough of it at a time, or maybe it's that it's all spread out through juniors, women's, sportswear, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, TriDeltaSallie, you must be my sister. Everything you say is dead-on.
I'm so mad at Talbot's....I'm wearing 3- and 4- and 5-year-old clothing because their selection and quality is so poor now.
I did just purchase a top for, with delivery, almost $60. I'm keeping it (because there's nothing else), but the material is very, very thin polyester (not silk, which it would have been a few years ago)...the cap sleeves aren't even cut and sewn in separately...it's made so cheaply it should only cost about $15.
Never mind why designers think ruffles down your bosom and stomach are slimming.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 03-11-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like Ann Taylor Loft. Their prices aren't too bad, and if you sign up for their email list you can get stuff on sale. There are several dresses they have right now that I'm waiting to go on sale. I love their dresses...they are always the appropriate length for my height (I'm 5'8"), my age (late 30s), and for work, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Oh, Tri Delta Sally, you must be my sister. Everything you say is dead-on.
I'm so mad at Talbot's....I'm wearing 3- and 4- and 5-year-old clothing because their selection and quality is so poor now.
I did just purchase a top for, with delivery, almost $60. I'm keeping it (because there's nothing else), but the material is very very thin polyester (not silk, which it would have been a few years ago)...the cap sleeves aren't even cut and sewn in separately...it's made so cheaply it should only cost about $15.
Never mind why designers think ruffles down your bosom and stomach are slimming.
agree on talbots!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Where I currently live we get around that by visiting the tailor. That wouldn't be cost effective for you, but for me I can get a custom made dress that fits me perfectly for usually less than $100. I've even paid around that for ball gowns!
I am just about to that point. I would rather have a couple of things that I truly love tailor made for me than continue to pick up random pieces of whatever I can find.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Oh, Tri Delta Sally, you must be my sister. Everything you say is dead-on.
You know that Talbot's got bought out by a Japanese group a number of years ago, right? It isn't even the same company. We had a huge Talbots store where I grew up and I felt like I was in heaven every time I walked in there. It's really sad what has happened to such an iconic retailer.

I also like Pendleton, but they are pretty much out of my price range now. I could justify it more when I was working away from home, but working from home I can't justify it at all. I do have a lot of pieces that I've had for years and am still wearing.

Actually that would sum up most of my wardrobe right now.