GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 586
0 members and 586 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

What "talents" do you have that others would be surprised about?

I'm a great singer. I've always been into sports and played in high school and college, but most people don't know that I have one helluva voice.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Tarot card reader.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm a poet with some pretty legit publications and readings to my name.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm one belt and a stripe away from getting my black belt in kickboxing. Many people wouldn't even suspect it.

With most dojos, I would have already earned it.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an amateur radio license (HAM operator) and yes, I used to know Morse code.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a pretty good dancer. I took studio classes beginning at age three, danced in middle school and in high school. I did a few solos at state competitions along with performing with my team. I took home quite a few trophies and ribbons.

I thought about continuing in college but was worried about the time commitment. I still love to go to the studio in my hometown and dance, though. I love dancing and the feeling it gives me.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I'm one belt and a stripe away from getting my black belt in kickboxing. Many people wouldn't even suspect it.

You a baaaaaaad girl.

Sometimes, I wish I had continued training. My (eldest) daughter and I trained together when she was in jr/high school.

Who knows, perhaps I'll revisit my dojo again. Those were some good times...
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Cake decorating, although I haven't done it in a while. Now that school and kid raising is done, I'd like to take it up again. Thing is, I don't need cakes very often..lol.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I wouldn't have guessed that either.

How would you have already gotten a black belt?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

People become surprised when they ask me what I do for a living because it's a rare, specialized field.

But I'd say one other talent outside of my career and my ability to draw/design was as a kid, I was able to dance like Michael Jackson. I remember as a kid, I would watch him and practice every day for over a year until I finally got it. I was in a talent show in high school, and college. I performed his Billie Jean act that he did for Motown's 25th anniversary.

In the high school talent show I was in, there was one guy and his band who did "Guns & Roses Welcome to the Jungle". They actually played their own instruments, and actually did the singing. They sounded just like the real group, but they got second place.

I won both talent shows in high school and college with that same routine LOL. I had it perfected, from the hat, to the stroking of the hair, to his spins, all the way to his moonwalk, and the lip syncing. I also did the same act when I was 13 at the MLK center near where I grew up. I can do it to this day. I still have it in me LOL.
http://youtu.be/kXhy7ZsiR50
Romans 1:16

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-23-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
You a baaaaaaad girl.

Sometimes, I wish I had continued training. My (eldest) daughter and I trained together when she was in jr/high school.

Who knows, perhaps I'll revisit my dojo again. Those were some good times...
You should go back to it, Tony. It's so much fun, and a really good way to stay in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I wouldn't have guessed that either.

How would you have already gotten a black belt?
Because most kickboxing dojos don't have stripe rankings. After you have earned a brown belt, the next rank is black. I have a private instructor and in his dojo, he uses a stripe ranking. There are other dojos that use a similar ranking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
People become surprised when they ask me what I do for a living because it's a rare, specialized field.

But I'd say one other talent outside of my career and my ability to draw/design was as a kid, I was able to dance like Michael Jackson. I remember as a kid, I would watch him and practice every day for over a year until I finally got it. I was in a talent show in high school, and college. I performed his Billie Jean act that he did for Motown's 25th anniversary.

In the high school talent show I was in, there was one guy and his band who did "Guns & Roses Welcome to the Jungle". They actually played their own instruments, and actually did the singing. They sounded just like the real group, but they got second place.

I won both talent shows in high school and college with that same routine LOL. I had it perfected, from the hat, to the stroking of the hair, to his spins, all the way to his moonwalk, and the lip syncing. I also did the same act when I was 13 at the MLK center near where I grew up. I can do it to this day. I still have it in me LOL.
http://youtu.be/kXhy7ZsiR50
As soon as I saw your username, I knew exactly what you posted.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You should go back to it, Tony. It's so much fun, and a really good way to stay in shape.
I really am giving it a lot of thought. After 12 years of basketball officiating, a bad ankle and 2 bad knees make me think, sometimes, about shifting away to something else.

I still have a lot of my old shotokan katas and a heavy bag in my basement.

Awww, dang, CG, see what you may have started??! lol
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I shared this video and I was surprised at the stir it caused. Apparently no one outside of my sisters knows I can sing at all.

I have stupidly good balance. I think my near-phobic fear of falling helps.

For example, I can do this:

I can also balance across things to get to some pretty neat places, like this island out in a nearby nature preserve.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very good at learning languages and copying accents.

I speak 4 languages and can converse in 2 more.
Once I hear an accent I can mimic it, and adjust to a specific region or country.

Comes in handy since I've moved across the world and currently live in a region where several languages are spoken in a 100 mile radius.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
I shared this video and I was surprised at the stir it caused. Apparently no one outside of my sisters knows I can sing at all.

I have stupidly good balance. I think my near-phobic fear of falling helps.

For example, I can do this:

I can also balance across things to get to some pretty neat places, like this island out in a nearby nature preserve.
I'm going to pretend that you're actually the canary pictured because it makes me laugh, WhiteRose. I'm imagining you hopping and pecking across the keyboard to type on here.

My talent isn't so much a talent, per se, but I still think it's interesting. I have synesthesia, specifically music->color synesthesia. When I hear music I immediately associate it with a specific color, and every note and key has a different color. I equate it to imaging an apple in your mind's eye; your eyes are not actually visualizing an apple, but you knew that it was red.