GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,151
0 members and 1,151 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

SIP to Legacy

Had a rec girl at a large midwest school who recently SIP'd her legacy house after preference round (even though she had two houses at preference and she was told repeatedly not to SIP). She did get a bid at her legacy house.

In my experience, most PNMs who do a SIP do not often get bids. I'm curious, does her legacy status effect this outcome? Does it depend on the chapter or the particular sorority?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sure it helped. In the case of AOII, we must place legacies at the top of our bid list if they attend preference.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

a PNM who SIPs is not eligible for Quota additions. so if she wasn't near the top of the bid list, she would be SOL.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiaamiedala View Post
Had a rec girl at a large midwest school who recently SIP'd her legacy house after preference round (even though she had two houses at preference and she was told repeatedly not to SIP). She did get a bid at her legacy house.

In my experience, most PNMs who do a SIP do not often get bids. I'm curious, does her legacy status effect this outcome? Does it depend on the chapter or the particular sorority?
It depends on the legacy policy of the particular sorority. Not every sorority has the same policy.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It depends on the legacy policy of the particular sorority. Not every sorority has the same policy.
True. Perhaps she knew that she would be on the first bid list so felt comfortable doing it.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 PM

All depends on policy of that particular sorority re: legacies.

I've always instructed people that if you choose to SIP make sure you know they want you that badly and that you are okay not getting a bid at all.

But really though, if she loved her legacy house enough to ONLY put them, I can guarantee she is not just like Regular Legacy Laura.

When you are dealing with a competitive recruitment, there are some unspoken levels to legacies, y'all.

Regular Legacies = Her legacy connection went to a different school. Her legacy connection is not involved or significant in any way. Probably only one generation.

Priority Legacies = Her legacy connection is advising. Or her legacy connection is super involved locally or nationally. Her legacy connect(s) went to THAT school and pledged THAT chapter. Bonus priority: legacy connection is currently active. Legacy connection donates.

Example: So there are 2 XO Legacies rushing at Big Southern University.

Legacy #1 - Legacy through her mom. Mom went XO at Small Western College. Was basically a "just college thing." Does not attend any Big Southern Town Alumnae Chapter events. Only stays connected with like, 4 Small Western XOs on FB, but is all in a tizzy over daughter going to Big Southern and going XO.

Legacy #2 - Legacy via mom and sister. Mother attends Big Southern Town Alumnae Chapter events and has since they moved to Big Southern Town. Big Sister is currently Big Southern XO's VP of Finance. Mom is regular XO donor and has donated to the Big Southern XO capital campaign to renovate the house.

One of these legacies is not like the other and one of these people is probably more comfortable SIP-ing their legacy house. One of these people also has a better shot at that legacy house given multiple legacies and limited spaces. You can guess which.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM

This is why we kind of shrug shoulders at "BUT I WAS A LEGACY."

YEAH, but probably of the regular variety and when you HAVE to cut folks and a good number of the PNMs are legacies, you have to start a hierarchy among them somehow.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

That's good insight, KSUViolet06.

This particular rec girl has a sister at the same chapter who just graduated, so that probably played into it.