GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,351
0 members and 1,351 guests
No Members online

Old 01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to omegamcgee
My sorority doesn't have a pledge period (we do our initiation soon after the bid is accepted). However, we do work with each individual new member on learning about the sorority and such.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Banned

Re: SORORITY pledge-what do they do??

Quote:
Originally posted by zekita
what do the pledges in sorrorities usually have to?what are the most common initiation assignments?

i heard they sometimes have to run naked through campus or drink a lot of alcohol

I don't know...but do you wanna know what the heartthrob gets to do?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by zekita
i didnt think someone would say their chapter or sorority hazes but i just wanted to know some examples, what pple have heard of...like the mean/bad stuff
isn't that what hazing is? "the mean/bad stuff?"

I mean if you want to know what they do in general, that's one thing, but focusing on the naughty/dirty stuff is is going to vary from campus to campus and chapter to chapter.

Besides, unless anyone here has first hand knowledge of bad stuff, everything said is just a rumor and not something you will most likely encounter. So basically sororities sit around in a circle and make arts and crafts and discuss the penis size of their professor's while watching tv and trying to decide what to wear to the next party on the weekend.... Oh yea, and pillow fights....
Old 01-05-2005, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kallima
This may be a little silly, but I actually wanted to be hazed when I was a new member...
That sounds really crazy to me. As someone who is planning on rushing next month, I am utterly TERRIFIED that I'm going to find a great sorority and then they'll have all these hazing processes before initiation...

Last edited by sdblonde07; 01-05-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
See, in my chapter we MUST attend study tables as part of New member Ed. All sisters, active and pledge, must attend and observe quiet (unless helping someone else). sisters may opt not attend study tables if they are attending a supplimentary instruction (tutoring) session at that time.

Was I hazed? if you ask me, nope. Nothing we did was demoralizing or demeaning, most of it was just crazy fun. No one ever got mad if you messed up on an answer because it happens. We all understand that. Most of the time the wrong answers were pretty hillarious and we laughed about it. these activities aren't meant to show how lowly you are or any of that BS, for me it helped me open up and speak out and be able to approach people I didn't know. I learned that everything is possible if you just learn how to ask for help.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

We aren't supposed to make the pledges do anything that we wouldn't have the sisters doing as well... as far as the study hours topic, if it was determined that our GPA should be raised, the entire chapter might do study hours, but we would not single out the pledges to have their own.

I think that the types of "hazing" that FSUzeta described would have been fun to have happen during a pledge period Now things are so PC that you really have to watch everything you say and do so that nothing will be misconstrued as hazing.

Other sorority members have said they "wanted to be hazed"... it sounds silly but I did too All that nonsense, I probably would have had fun, lol.

Like hottytoddy said, your whole pledge period is like Christmas. You're showered with gifts until initiation.... and then the next year when you get a little, you do the same for her!

Edited to change quote attribution.

Last edited by orchid2; 01-05-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdblonde07
That sounds really crazy to me. As someone who is planning on rushing next month, I am utterly TERRIFIED that I'm going to find a great sorority and then they'll have all these hazing processes before initiation...
please change your quote, i never said that i wanted to be hazed, you attributed the quote to the wrong person
Old 01-05-2005, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Whoops. It's changed.
Sorry kddani, didn't mean to do that.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

well, i want to know stuff about hazing cause im not american, and i could only hear about it on tv and it was "running around naked, drinking a lot of alcohol...", so i wanted to know what else i could expect. i dont care if those are only rumors, they give me an idea of what i could expect if i decide to pledge.

and why are u giving such remarks abour colgate?..have u even heard of it ?? it's a very very good college, ALTHOUGH it has the same name as the toothpaste
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

maybe you should read some of the many other threads on this board to get an idea of what to expect, instead of wanting stupid rumors that aren't true for probably 99% of chapters (at least!). What you can expect is that every NPC sorority has a 1800 number or another number that you will be given at the very beginning of your pledge period, that is a "hazing hotline" of sorts, so that if any of these illegal activities occur you can properly report them
Old 01-05-2005, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

zekita,

please do not beleive all that you see in movies, (Animal House, and all of the NERDS).

Some of the TV shows (MTV) are there not to portray Greeks in a good light as basically doing Chairty Events or helping others doesnt get good ratings. So, what do they do (?), they spice it up.

Maybe they get people to do stupid things, then edit and put it out of context.

sdblonde07,

I wouldnt worry about the hazing aspect. As you can see, the largest majority on G C are just like the majority of Greeks across the country. Hazing is out!!!

Both of you should just worry about finding the right fit for each of you and have fun.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orchid2
Other sorority members have said they "wanted to be hazed"... it sounds silly but I did too All that nonsense, I probably would have had fun, lol.
When I was in charge of pledge education in college, several pledges told me they wished they could be "hazed" as well. Of course, they didn't mean anything evil or harmful, but rather some of the scavenger hunts and silly games like FSUZeta was describing. I think what pledges (new members, members-in-training, etc.) really mean when they say that is that they're looking for some sort of fun adventure with their new sorority.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kallima
This may be a little silly, but I actually wanted to be hazed when I was a new member...

Man, I did too. I actually asked a few brothers if they would haze me. At the time I had no idea what I was really asking for, I thought thats what really made you brothers. I was wrong in a way....but still, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a nm class that wanted to be hazed, so they did it themselves. They made togas, got handcuffs, and other little police toys and went running around campus, through the commons and into one of the fraternities. Kinda funny, perhaps risk management issue, but still pretty funny that when they were told no they just did it to themselves...but then it really isn't hazing...anyway, it was amusing
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

kallima

you are right. if someone didn't get all nine founders right, or remember the words to a song, nothing happened--they just might have felt a little foolish.

also, remember this was in 1976, and things have changed since then. all the stuff i described is considered hazing now, and is strictly forbidden.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-05-2005 at 03:13 PM.