GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,067
Threads: 114,180
Welcome to our newest member, pumlosakku

Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing Troubles?

Last spring semester, Phi Mu was colonizing my campus. I interviewed and was offered an invitation to join the sorority. I accepted, however, a few days later my uncle had a stroke. My family has been supporting him, and so we had to pay his extensive medical bills. My parents had planned on helping me pay for the first few month's dues, but I didn't feel comfortable putting another financial burden on them. I tried to communicate to the recruiter (I'm so sorry I forget her actual title) multiple times about my situation and that I would not be able to continue the process. She never responded, so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. I've since transferred for a different university. I'm planning on rushing Phi Mu again - I was devastated last year - but I'm scared that because I already accepted an invitation, I will have difficulty this year. Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

If you were not initiated, and dropped out during your new member period, then you are free to go through recruitment again.

Please consider the other chapters as well when you go through; every chapter is different just as every university/college is different. You may not "fit" as well with the Phi Mu women at this new school.

If you WERE initiated, that is another story. Somehow, after re-reading your post, I get the impression that you might not have left under the best possible terms.

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiker1633 View Post
Last spring semester, Phi Mu was colonizing my campus. I interviewed and was offered an invitation to join the sorority. I accepted, however, a few days later my uncle had a stroke. My family has been supporting him, and so we had to pay his extensive medical bills. My parents had planned on helping me pay for the first few month's dues, but I didn't feel comfortable putting another financial burden on them. I tried to communicate to the recruiter (I'm so sorry I forget her actual title) multiple times about my situation and that I would not be able to continue the process. She never responded, so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. I've since transferred for a different university. I'm planning on rushing Phi Mu again - I was devastated last year - but I'm scared that because I already accepted an invitation, I will have difficulty this year. Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you!
Since you weren't initiated and have since changed schools you are free to go through recruitment. Have an open mind and be prepared. Get recs for as many chapters as you can. Since you won't be a freshman (not clear on what year you are in school) you may have a more difficult rush.