GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,599
1 members and 1,598 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity member to write paper on hazing, pay fines after incident

An Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity member will have to write a paper on hazing and pay restitution after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of hazing.

Lyall Cobb Storandt, 22, entered his plea on Friday in connection with the beating of a 20-year-old pledge at Oklahoma State University earlier this year.

http://www.ocolly.com/2007/11/05/fra...fter-incident/
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
An Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity member will have to write a paper on hazing and pay restitution after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of hazing.

Lyall Cobb Storandt, 22, entered his plea on Friday in connection with the beating of a 20-year-old pledge at Oklahoma State University earlier this year.

http://www.ocolly.com/2007/11/05/fra...fter-incident/
I'm mad that some people haven't learned from the mistakes of others yet.

Maybe there aren't enough facts out yet, but I have to wonder why one member is requesting a trial which could potentially lead to him having a criminal record and serving jail time when another member has already accepted a punishment that will leave him with a clean record.

That plea bargain deal really isn't much of a punishment anyway. Any decent college student can crank out a five-page paper easily. Maybe the judge is trying to make the young man compose an official statement regarding hazing. Or maybe he always secretly wanted to be a K-12 principal.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! they was gonna have the chapter off the yard for 15 years??? thats just as bad as taking away their charter. shit, 5 years is still long enough too. but with the way some greeks, you might have a few renegades running around...
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the specifics, but yea, 15 years does seem a bit excessive. I thought the purpose of removing a chapter from a campus was to give enough time for all of the current members to finish up with school? If that's the case, 5 years should be more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojapeach View Post
Co-sign. I'll be damned if my degree is put at risk because some overzealous brother wants to mess with some pledges/new members. I guess some people need to be knocked on their asses before logic sets in.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojapeach View Post

Maybe there aren't enough facts out yet, but I have to wonder why one member is requesting a trial which could potentially lead to him having a criminal record and serving jail time when another member has already accepted a punishment that will leave him with a clean record.

That plea bargain deal really isn't much of a punishment anyway. Any decent college student can crank out a five-page paper easily. Maybe the judge is trying to make the young man compose an official statement regarding hazing. Or maybe he always secretly wanted to be a K-12 principal.
It sounds like this guy may have had the least to do with the hazing, i.e., knew about it, but did not actively participate.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!