GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
speedsters

Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

IU anybody?

Hey! I'll be going through recruitment at IU and am wondering if anybody can answer my question. I'm completely clueless when it comes to letters of recommendations. What is IU's policy on recs (require, strongly prefer, refuse)? I can't find anything about the topic on our websites and I've emailed people but am still waiting for a response. Since 19 Party doesn't start until December, we won't even know who our Rho Gamma's are until November-ish, so no help there.

Assuming they want letters, who is eligible to send recs for me? I'm the first in my immediate family to go to college so I have no immediate Greek relatives, but my Aunt is an alumna of a sorority that has a chapter at IU. Can she send one?

Also, do you get a rec from one person and give one to every sorority? Or do they have to be from that particular sorority? How many letters do you need? How does it work?

Sorry for the many many questions! Any help I can get will be wonderful.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
An alumnae of any chapter of a sorority may send a rec to a collegiate chapter. So yes, your aunt should send a rec to the chapter of her sorority at IU. Recs are usually only accepted from members of that sorority, so no you don't get one rec and send it to all the chapters. You can ask around of friends, friends of your mother or aunt, former teachers, women at church and see if any of them are sorority members and ask if they would be willing to provide a rec.

Good luck at IU .. I'm looking forward to hearing your story.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese87 View Post
Hey! I'll be going through recruitment at IU and am wondering if anybody can answer my question. I'm completely clueless when it comes to letters of recommendations. What is IU's policy on recs (require, strongly prefer, refuse)? I can't find anything about the topic on our websites and I've emailed people but am still waiting for a response. Since 19 Party doesn't start until December, we won't even know who our Rho Gamma's are until November-ish, so no help there.

Assuming they want letters, who is eligible to send recs for me? I'm the first in my immediate family to go to college so I have no immediate Greek relatives, but my Aunt is an alumna of a sorority that has a chapter at IU. Can she send one?

Also, do you get a rec from one person and give one to every sorority? Or do they have to be from that particular sorority? How many letters do you need? How does it work?

Sorry for the many many questions! Any help I can get will be wonderful.

For starters...yes your aunt can and should send a rec for you to the chapter of the sorority she is a member.

Contact the alumnae chapters in your "home" area and arrange to meet with their recommendation chairs over your holiday break. Rec forms don't necessarily have to be there before 19 round (I went to IU...'rents still live in B'ton), but really need to be there before the serious stuff begins in January.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
From what I know about IU, recs are nice, but not critical. So get as many as you can, but don't stress over the ones you can't find.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM

It's never wrong to get recs. It shows you've gone the extra mile.

A rec has to come from someone in the sorority. Alums can write recs; for some sororities, collegians can also write recs for women going through recruitment at a different school. So ask around - talk to your teachers, your friends' mothers and older sisters, your parents' friends, friends of yours who are already in college.

Also, for some sororities, nieces are considered legacies. Your aunt will know if that's the case for her sorority. Legacies get some preferential treatment during recruitment, so it's worthwhile to find out.

Last edited by aephi alum; 10-09-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana University Recruitment

Letters of recommendation from women that you, your parents, and even your aunt knows, are needed and definately wanted by the sorority houses and their advisors at IU.
You need to do it now! Some sorority chapters are currently inviting young freshman women over to very very informal settings. Such as coffee's/teas/dinner.

As you know Recruitment DOES START December 2nd and 3rd.

IU for years has been know to alumna as being a deferred recruitment, when in actuality now (and for several years), their formal recruitment starts before the holiday break. The open houses will be in December this year (last year November and the year before October!). 1st invites will be in January. Right before school starts back after holiday.
With 19 houses, the chapters need to know about you now.
IU's recruitment is fun, but the chapter houses are far away from each other----so make sure you have comfortable shoes --Or boots for snow/slush/rain!!!
Looking forward to hearing all about your great experience. Remember to write down your comments, even if you keep them to yourself in a notebook. Your first impression's of the houses will be priceless to read about years from now!!!

All the best---
TigerOwl
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so much for your answers, they are very helpful. I'm wondering how I go about getting recs? Out of all 19, I have one (my aunt). I'm going to ask my aunts about their friends. But from there I'm stuck. I don't know anyone and most of my family is somewhat Greek-ignorant and have no affiliations! I'd feel really bad asking people I don't know for a recommendation. How do I find 18 people before December?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 AM

You might be surprised to find out that you DO know some sorority alumnae. Most alumnae don't wear their memberships on their sleeves so it isn't obvious. If you belong to a church, youth group, your old summer job, etc., tell people that you are rushing and ask if their moms, neighbors, etc. are sorority alumnae. It may be stepping outside of your comfort zone a little bit, but it is the extra effort that can set a PNM apart during a large recruitment. If you only end up with 5 or 6 recs, hey, that's better than 1.

I would also recommend contacting the Alumnae Panhellenic that is closest to your hometown. Most APs have a recommendation chair who will put you in contact with alumnae from different sororities. Those rec chairs do just what you are looking for - they write recs. Now some will want to meet you or will try to set you up with someone who knows you, but it is a good way to try to find a rec. Indiana has the following Alumnae Panhellenics:
Bloomington
Dunes Area
Greater Johnson County
Hammond
Indianapolis
Kokomo
Lafayette
South Bend-Mishawaka

If you aren't from Indiana, just go to the NPC website to get the full directory. Be prepared to provide a detailed resume, transcript (from HS if you don't have one from IU yet), and a photo of yourself (like your senior picture.) You also will need to offer to meet with the alumna as most will not write a rec for someone they have never met.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You could also check with teachers from your high school. Some of them may have been in sororities.