GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,176
1 members and 2,175 guests
Overthinker

Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I don't wanna start a riot or have links to other threads thrown at me...

maybe i just missed something on this episode.

SO mike supposedly gets initiated to another GLO, transfers to a school without a chapter and DAs from the prior group to join a local... what's the big deal???? I understand, yes he lied and whatnot and that can be grounds for depledging, however, it just seemed really blown outta proportion... esp with that alumni dude.
We have girls that DAed from other groups... we couldn't be happier to have them.

Did i miss a key point or something?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2003, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

i feel bad for alex...it is obvious that he cares about his relationship, but he wants to live a full college life too. he needs to ditch his girlfriend...she is bringing him down.
as for matt...that just sucks. his parents didnt even let him try it out, or compromise with him. we had a pledge that had to drop because of his parents this semester too--its just sucks for everyone.
grant...i knew that kid wouldnt get a bid. it was obvious. mtv made him look like an ass, and like he was putting on a show. when he said he would come back the next semester if he did not get a bid i knew he was full of shit. if a fraternity did not want me one semester, i would not waist my time...
the whole ron, ron issue was crap. those guys had no interest in a fraternity. the people who rush, then drop the first week, never truely wanted to join...they usually are the people out looking to rush just for the sake of rushing.
mike is a cock sucker. that was really shady of him to pull that shit, and try to join another fraternity. i can understand if he had a bad situation with his original fraternity, but you cant betray the brotherhood you pledged to and were initiated into.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice

So are you implying that, say, Delta Upsilon is any less of a fraternity just because it doesn't keep its rituals secret?

Please.

Actually, I wasn't implying that. I just stated my opinion that I liked how they kept it private. That's all. Someone else had posted in the Sorority Life thread that it bothered her and her sisters a little that DZO showed the pinning ceremony, and I agree. Just my opinion again.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
I don't wanna start a riot or have links to other threads thrown at me...

maybe i just missed something on this episode.

SO mike supposedly gets initiated to another GLO, transfers to a school without a chapter and DAs from the prior group to join a local... what's the big deal???? I understand, yes he lied and whatnot and that can be grounds for depledging, however, it just seemed really blown outta proportion... esp with that alumni dude.
We have girls that DAed from other groups... we couldn't be happier to have them.

Did i miss a key point or something?
I think different locals conduct things differently. Some will take someone who is a disaffiliated member of another group, some will not. I also think if at the time they were filming, they were still looking at Sigma Chi affiliation that might have something to do with it. If it ended up they had a guy in who was a former TKE, for instance, he probably couldn't affiliate w/ Sigma Chi.

But at any rate - the fact that this guy lied to an alum to get a bid is more than grounds to kick his ass out, IMO.

Oh, and I don't know if this is bugging anyone else, but the commercials where they say "Frat Life" are like nails on a chalkboard. I guess they'll start advertising "Sore Life" soon. grrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by 33girl; 03-06-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Starlet

The alum, Ron, scares me a little. Okay, maybe a lot. Don't know what his deal is, but there is also another alum who hangs around as well. (I forget his name)
ditto on the scary ron deal...

so were these guys actives last semester, graduated and now are alumni or were they alumni at the time mtv was there? or are they grad students at ub now and still remain active in the chapter even though they are alumni?

oh and i think the other alum you might mean is lindo? i noticed his little caption said he's an alum too... he's hot

~*~
Old 03-06-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

that one alum needs to realize that his college days are over. he seems just too involved for his own good
Old 03-06-2003, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere
that one alum needs to realize that his college days are over. he seems just too involved for his own good
lol...i was thinking the same thing. honestly, i hope they graduated in dec and mtv is giving them the tag of "alum." or at least they are grad students at ub. i think they are there to be on tv!!

when ron kicked mike out didn't the people in the background have beer in their hands? maybe i was just seeing things, but i really would not want to be caught in a situation where underage people were drinking.

how long do you think it will be before they get booted for hazing? it sucked that the pledges had to clean the house, but let's face it, it needed to happen! the line ups and the push ups......i guess my question is how is this not hazing?
Old 03-06-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER
Alex is a beeeeeyotch!!!!
I'm saying!! He needed to pull it together. HE THREW UP!?! Suck it up and move on, man...

Lindsay needs to get a grip.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
I LOVE FRATERNITY LIFE!

And I love the theme song!

I want you to knowwwww, I'm addicted to youuuuu!

QTE
Old 03-06-2003, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere
WHAT??? Don't you have chapter advisors???
Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 PM

Talking I HATE THE THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was anyone else pissed that they open the show with a scene that was supposedly even before interviews? I know Mtv editors have not been trained in continuity at all but to show the same scene in back to back episodes and to imply that it happened at different times is just crap.

Alex is a puss! He threw up for pete's sake. And his whole "I have to make a decision now whether to accept my bid." Sorry hon, you made that decision when you sat in the spotlight and said "I would never let my girlfriend ruin this for me." Honestly even if you DP, your girl is probably gonna dump your ass when she sees the show! I still think you're a cutie though.

Grant~ I'm so confused. I thought he gets a bid. Do you think they'll bid him later to make up for the FOUR guys they've already lost? Or does he just hang around under the guise of being a friend to Alex?

Does anyone else wonder which rushees met the 90% approval and which got in only after it was dropped to 80%????

This is my brother Ron, my other brother Ron and lastly, my other brother Ron. TG that "The Rons" DP'd. I would have gone nuts w/ 2 pledges and an alum with the same name. As soon as they showed "The Rons" getting their bid I was praying they wouldn't take it. "I was on the crapper." "I got him out in time." Thank you Beavis & Butthead for the lovely imagery. Why didn't we ever get an explanation for "The Rons" showing up so late the first day? Did they think the brothers meant 7PM?
Alum Ron kinda scares me too. He comes off really intense. I think it's cool though that they have two alums around. Hopefully they are acting as advisors to the chapter. And hopefully Mtv will portray it that way and not as two losers trying to extend their glory days.

I don't blame Alum Ron for being pissed at Mike. Mike straight up lied to him! If Mike had said; "I was in a fraternity, I was initiated and a)I deactivated for whatever reason or b)my fraternity does not have a chapter here for me to affiliate with and I want to continue with a bond of brotherhood here"; I'd have been cool with it. He deceived the brothers and did not let them make a informed decision about him. That's where the problem lies.

I miss Matt. He seemed to be a good guy that actually wanted to be there.

Weren't some of the FL rushees transfer students as well? Wouldn't they have the same problem that Erin had on SL?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We have advisors but they don't have anything to do with the selection process except that it is don't correctly. I don't think MTV would give them alum stat unless they were alum at the time.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 03-07-2003, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98
I don't think MTV would give them alum stat unless they were alum at the time.
lol... mental image..."MTV" granting alum status. Sorry, it just struck me as funny.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: I HATE THE THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
As soon as they showed "The Rons" getting their bid I was praying they wouldn't take it. "I was on the crapper." "I got him out in time." Thank you Beavis & Butthead for the lovely imagery.
HAHAHA...I agree totally. I think Ron #2 left because Ron #1 did.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:45 AM

We used to think it was funny to change the Robert Palmer song to "Might as well face it, you're adic.......ted to love", but that was a long time ago. I hate when people use my jokes.

I'm guessing they have a larger %age of alums around than a lot of schools because Buffalo is a big city...the ones on the show are most likely in grad school and "active" alums.