GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,653
0 members and 1,653 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom64 View Post
Why would a PNM drop from recruitment to pursue the new colony?
The chance to be part of a new colony is very exciting for some women. It also gives girls who may not thrive in formal recruitment a chance to join an organization but do it in a way that makes them more comfortable. There are lots of reasons someone might drop.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can completely understand why someone would prefer to try their luck with a colonization. Especially introverts who might not shine in the chaos that is formal recruitment but would really shine in the small group and individual interviews during a colony recruitment.

Formal recruitment would have killed me. But I love conversation and can interview well. I'd definitely pick the one over the other.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Spoke with my daughter this morning. Seems cuts were huge for the 12 parties. She feels she did ok but not terrific. I told her to go in to each house with an open mind, clean slate. Houses she thought as just okay may turn out to be better than she thought.

Her friends run the gamut. One has a full 12 invite but not to her top three, others have invites ranging from 4 houses to 9 houses.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mom64, you gave great advice. We have seen more times than not, how a PNM's feelings toward a chapter change dramatically as the rush week goes on. Good luck to your daughter.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, agreed about feelings changing as rush week goes on. Unfortunately for this year's PNMs at IU it truly is "rushed". I didn't think that cutting the 14 party and making the 8 party a 12 party would matter but looking at things now, I think it does.

Tomorrow they go down to 3. PNMs are now going to have to reevaluate their choices based on one party. I know many of my daughter's friends including herself think the chances of getting invited back tomorrow are slim.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I cannot believe they went from 21 to 12 to 3.
I rushed in 1995 and we did 19, 14, 8, 5, 3 it was a long week to do 14, 8,5,3 but I feel girls were able to get a great feel for a house.
I think cuts will be drastic tomorrow and you will have a lot of girls not maximize their options by putting all the houses on a bid card.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Nervous mom of IU daughter here. Talked to her this morning and she was happy with what she got - 9 houses, including 5 from her top 12. Like mom64, I told her to keep an open mind about everything! Today will be an exhausting day for everyone. I'm expecting tomorrow's results will be very emotional, as that's when I'm expecting the big cuts. Steeling my nerves…
pinkmama - the schedule was originally 21-14-8-3 but they had to cut out a day at the last minute due to the weather, which is why it is now 21-12-3. Hard for everyone!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading this thread, I remember that it is just as painful, nerve-wracking, and difficult for the actives who are having to do membership selection in a crunch. And their recruitment advisors who are working tirelessly. And the Greek Life Office. Oh boy.

Wishing all the very best.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-18-2014, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Reading this thread, I remember that it is just as painful, nerve-wracking, and difficult for the actives who are having to do membership selection in a crunch. And their recruitment advisors who are working tirelessly. And the Greek Life Office. Oh boy.

Wishing all the very best.
4 hours in to the world's longest day. Tonight is going to be very stressful.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbemtpynest View Post
Nervous mom of IU daughter here. Talked to her this morning and she was happy with what she got - 9 houses, including 5 from her top 12. Like mom64, I told her to keep an open mind about everything! Today will be an exhausting day for everyone. I'm expecting tomorrow's results will be very emotional, as that's when I'm expecting the big cuts. Steeling my nerves…
pinkmama - the schedule was originally 21-14-8-3 but they had to cut out a day at the last minute due to the weather, which is why it is now 21-12-3. Hard for everyone!
Sending positive and calm thoughts your way! Good luck moms!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

A full 12 party schedule is a 14 hour day with a 90 minute break (+20 travel time) is crazy. Those last few parties are going to be painful for everyone. Do they dim the lights during the videos?
Even at the tender age of 18 or 19 I cannot believe these young ladies can put their best foot forward for each and every party.
Good luck to all!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the schedule begins at 8:00am and ends at 10:10pm. There is a break for lunch but none for dinner. All a bit crazy.

In hindsight, I wish when they had revised the schedule due to the bad weather they had delayed Bid Night and used the original schedule set-up (21,14,8,3). Last weekend was grueling with 21 parties changed from 30 minutes to 45 minutes and today seems worse! Doesn't seem to be fair to the PNMs or the Actives. Would seem those with mental stamina may be in the best position to receive a bid.

There's no classes on Monday due to the Martin Luther King holiday, couldn't they have used that day for rush?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Wow!!! Not an ideal situation at IU. Good luck to everyone involved.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom64 View Post
There's no classes on Monday due to the Martin Luther King holiday, couldn't they have used that day for rush?
I don't think that would have been viewed as politically correct...as a professor at another university where classes are suspended for MLK Day, the purpose is to honor his memory/legacy and allow students to attend related campus events.

I have another question for those in the know: even though Indiana chapters determine quotas based on available beds, do they practice RFM? I am wondering what guidance chapters were given, if any, regarding carry over figures for the 3 round structure.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 01-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I don't think that would have been viewed as politically correct...as a professor at another university where classes are suspended for MLK Day, the purpose is to honor his memory/legacy and allow students to attend related campus events.

I have another question for those in the know: even though Indiana chapters determine quotas based on available beds, do they practice RFM? I am wondering what guidance chapters were given, if any, regarding carry over figures for the 3 round structure.
Yes we use RFM. Our guidance consisted of being told to call our hq with rfm questions and an understanding that we might not know what return rates to anticipate.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Closed Thread