GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,425
2 members and 1,423 guests
Titchou

Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sneaky Mom...

I kind of jumped into academic mode. I figured between classes and horseshows, the whole situation would kind of diminish in my mind. It kind of did.

Not for mom! I didn't find out until later, but mom had contacted the GLO at my school to inquire about all of this. The entire process, Rho Chis told us how rare it is at this school to be released from rush, and that it is almost always grade related (I had a really good GPA from high school and first semester so it was not my grades...)
It took mom a while to get answers (because membership selection is obviously confidential) and it took the GLO a while to look into this, but I did get answers.
I wasn't released. Well, not by the sororities. The night before pref I didn't get a call from my Rho Chi because I DID have parties to attend (I don't know which houses). 7 PNMs (including myself) fell victim to essentially a computer glitch. Something happened that basically withdrew my participation from recruitment. So, sororities thought I pulled out, and I thought I was released. Apparently it isn't that uncommon of an issue?!! The other PNMs hadn't had full schedules leading up to pref and I guess it didn't seem like a 'red flag' that they were released. (I have no idea what their status would have been otherwise--but it was found that they also appeared to withdraw...but hadn't?)
How maddening is that! I was both relieved and completely fuming when I found out. It was reassuring to know that I hadn't been rejected by every house, but knowing what really happened did not bring any resolve. The GLO director apologized profusely but said that nothing could be done at this point because no houses were eligible to take any more NMs.

I was strongly encouraged to look into Rhode Island. Their recruitment process was starting about 2 weeks after I found all of this out...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

EB I had a recruitment mistake too even though the vast majority of folks will tell you that those don't happen. I cannot wait to hear how it turned out.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaB View Post
I kind of jumped into academic mode. I figured between classes and horseshows, the whole situation would kind of diminish in my mind. It kind of did.

Not for mom! I didn't find out until later, but mom had contacted the GLO at my school to inquire about all of this. The entire process, Rho Chis told us how rare it is at this school to be released from rush, and that it is almost always grade related (I had a really good GPA from high school and first semester so it was not my grades...)
It took mom a while to get answers (because membership selection is obviously confidential) and it took the GLO a while to look into this, but I did get answers.
I wasn't released. Well, not by the sororities. The night before pref I didn't get a call from my Rho Chi because I DID have parties to attend (I don't know which houses). 7 PNMs (including myself) fell victim to essentially a computer glitch. Something happened that basically withdrew my participation from recruitment. So, sororities thought I pulled out, and I thought I was released. Apparently it isn't that uncommon of an issue?!! The other PNMs hadn't had full schedules leading up to pref and I guess it didn't seem like a 'red flag' that they were released. (I have no idea what their status would have been otherwise--but it was found that they also appeared to withdraw...but hadn't?)
How maddening is that! I was both relieved and completely fuming when I found out. It was reassuring to know that I hadn't been rejected by every house, but knowing what really happened did not bring any resolve. The GLO director apologized profusely but said that nothing could be done at this point because no houses were eligible to take any more NMs.

I was strongly encouraged to look into Rhode Island. Their recruitment process was starting about 2 weeks after I found all of this out...
1) Somebody f*cked up, and it probably wasn't the person who programmed the software.

2) It's really not cool for the GL director to say "oops, sh*t happens!". There are ALWAYS ways to fix things, and a decent GL director should have gotten in touch with all of the advisors and suggested that you and the other affected PNM's be "freebie" bids or something.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's really not cool for the GL director to say "oops, sh*t happens!". There are ALWAYS ways to fix things, and a decent GL director should have gotten in touch with all of the advisors and suggested that you and the other affected PNM's be "freebie" bids or something.
DBB you think like I do.
GreekChat Member

Colony Recruitment

I decided to give the colony a real shot. The extension team was really fun to talk with and I enjoyed all of my interviews with them.

I was invited to their philanthropy dinner, where actives from a nearby university came to meet us. I actually knew a handful of girls from the visiting chapter and it was great to see them. It was kind of comforting, actually. I still don't know why.. but it was.

I was then invited to attend the pref ceremony, guided by the extension team and another visiting chapter. It was a very pleasant experience, and I liked the visiting actives and extension team very much. But it didn't feel right to me. I did not find a sense of friendship or openness with the other PNMs. I finished the evening and asked to talk with one of the extension team members about it. She encouraged me to stay with this because of my leadership capabilities and presence on campus/ in university activities.

I gave the situation a lot of thought, called my mom (of course!), but ultimately decided to withdraw. Sisterhood was a component of greek life that I valued greatly, and I did not feel any bonds with the PNMs alongside of me. Yes, I loved the extension team and the actives from other schools and felt ties to them, but I didn't feel it with the girls on my own campus. It didn't feel like the experience I wanted.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
EB I had a recruitment mistake too even though the vast majority of folks will tell you that those don't happen. I cannot wait to hear how it turned out.
It's not that mistakes don't happen. It's that "computer glitches" don't happen. If you are not on an invite list, for example, it's not because the chapter put you on their invite list and the computer decided to randomly drop you. It's because the chapter didn't put you on their invite list. That certainly could be the chapter's mistake, either they confused you with someone else, there was a data entry error, whatever.

There was also an error during my rush, where women were over-invited (my story is around here somewhere).

But when an active member tells a PNM "oh, we invited you, there must have been a computer glitch", she is lying virtually every time.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wwhen an active member tells a PNM "oh, we invited you, there must have been a computer glitch", she is lying virtually every time.
Yes! This was though was a data entry error, probably by the GL Director or someone to who she was awfully close or maybe too intimidated by. Life it to short not to do the RIGHT thing.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes! This was though was a data entry error, probably by the GL Director or someone to who she was awfully close or maybe too intimidated by. Life it to short not to do the RIGHT thing.
Also, the "no notification but no parties" should have tipped off the Rho Chi to ask a few more questions. Sigh.

I have a feeling that this story is going to work out in the end, but the process engineer in me is really squirming.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, the "no notification but no parties" should have tipped off the Rho Chi to ask a few more questions. Sigh.
This, particularly considering
Quote:
The entire process, Rho Chis told us how rare it is at this school to be released from rush
this. The OP is a much more mature and level-headed person than me, I would've been hella mad about the situation!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DBB you think like I do.
I'm with you, too. The GLO should have apologized profusely and then asked Panhel to allow these 7 women to receive bids as quota additions. The ladies should have then been allowed to rank their choices and those groups should have been asked in order if they want to bid them.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

After

The GLO director was actually *removed* from his position at the end of the semester. I was really disappointed by how he handled the entire situation. I'm sure the other PNMs were, too.

I finished out the semester, but was very lonely. All of my close friends had become consumed with their respective houses, and I was kind of squeezed out of the picture. I realized that I had a lot hinging on my membership to a sorority, and was not actually happy at the University I attended. I was a very involved girl, but just didn't feel attached to anything at this school. I think I made myself believe that joining a sorority would curb some of those feelings by granting a sense of belonging and purpose.

My mom suggested that I look into transferring. I wasn't terribly keen on the idea at first, but was totally on board with slinking away for a few weekends (strategically planned around my roommate's/friends' initiation or other greek heavy events. {I'm not usually a sore loser, but it was SO HARD to be around everybody!}) with my mom to visit other schools.

I ended up applying to two, and was accepted to one and waitlisted to the other. I felt such a strong connection to the student bodies at both schools and knew that I would be so happy at either.

Mom, little sister (a rising hs senior), and I went on another visit to the school I was accepted to. On this visit I really felt it. I felt so at home and energized-- things I never felt at my initial school. After weighing my options very heavily, I decided to transfer schools.

I debated whether or not I should rush at this new school. Going greek was still something I really wanted, but sorority recruitment here is VERY competitive...and I wasn't sure if I would want to risk being actually rejected by every sorority (a not-so-uncommon ending for PNMs here).
I decided to give it a whirl. I figured if nothing else, I would get to meet a lot of new faces (I didn't know anybody at this school when I transferred) and I think I would have always regretted not participating.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

DBB, the actives did not indicate that there was a glitch... that was the GLO director.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The ending

I was extremely nervous for recruitment this time. Big bad southern sorority recruitment- it could practically be a horror movie! To add to my stress levels, mom and dad were going to be out of the country during recruitment and I wouldn't be able to talk to them.

Rush down here was very different. It was more exciting and welcoming feeling all around. (Maybe that is just the southern way?)
I met a lot a really great girls throughout my recruitment process and had the best Rho Chi ever.

I am very pleased to tell you that I had a pretty seamless experience, too.
After a week of high humidity and heels, I accepted a bid to my first choice house.

I am thrilled to reveal that I am

Going to post that whole story!

Last edited by ElizaB; 06-22-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Adding the whole story!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DBB, the actives did not indicate that there was a glitch... that was the GLO director.
No, no, I know. I suspect the GLO director messed up and tried to blame it on a computer glitch.

The part about actives saying that was off-topic; it's something we hear around here a ton.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have absolutely loved my experiences at my new school and with my sisters. It is kind of funny to me, because there truly was not a chapter-vibe similar to mine at my previous university. I have never felt pressure to be anything other than myself in this chapter. It is wonderful and I am very lucky.

It was a scary/fingers crossed! kind of process, but I am so glad that I made the choices I made. (And I'm SO glad that I have a family who supported me through all of this craziness!!)

(P.S.-- Living in my mom's legacy!!)