GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,121
0 members and 1,121 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
rush is very competitive at clemson and you will need recommendations to each sorority. do yourself a favor and start trying to gather them now-and get one for each sorority-even the ones that didn't make the top three back in 2005. you never know which one you will fall in love with.
i dont really know anyone who's done a sorority... i'm from the north (MA) and it just really wasn't popular with anyone i've known... is there a way i can get recommendations, or am i SOL?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingSouth View Post
i dont really know anyone who's done a sorority... i'm from the north (MA) and it just really wasn't popular with anyone i've known... is there a way i can get recommendations, or am i SOL?
Ask your teachers, parents' friends, church acquaintances, etc. if they are members of sororities. Chances might be they are...you just don't know it.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=48462 -- this thread gives general information about recommendations. At the bottom of the OP are a list of women willing to point PNMs in the right direction so that they can secure recs. PLEASE DO NOT ASK THESE WOMEN TO WRITE RECS FOR YOU. Some are willing to do so, but many more will not write recs for PNMS they do not know, and this includes PNMs who approach them on GreekChat.

Also visit www.npcwomen.org and see if there is an Alumnae Panhellenic in or nearby your area. Contacting these women may assist you in getting recs.

You're only SOL if you don't bother doing the work. Remember, GC's a great resource, but please don't rely on anyone here to do the work for you like some PNMs have asked in the past.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingSouth View Post
sorry to keep bringing up this thread, but does anyone know how competitive rush at Clemson is for a transferring sophomore? if i go to clemson, i REALLY want to be in a sorority.
I am actually a student at Clemson and because Clemson does a "Bridge Program" with a nearby tech school, many of the sororities (even the best ones) have an allotment for a larger number a sophomores. Also, I would disregard the list previously given in The Tiger because that was years ago and sororities have left and come onto campus since then. My best advice is to go in with an open mind. Don't rush suicide. What's meant to be will definitely be. You will find out where you fit in! BEST OF LUCK! Hope to see you in August!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't tell from these posts here what is the truth and what is making fun of the original question. Can I get a straight answer please? I'm not interested in the survey result but is rush really competitive at Clemson? Do I have to get recs from an alum of each chapter on campus? On the one hand I want to keep an open mind and meet each chapter to find my true sisters. On the other hand, if the only way to really get serious consideration is to have a rec letter, then what can someone say in the letter? They can't say that I love XYZ sorority because the truth is that I don't know anything about it. It seems insincere to have a rec written for each chapter. Isn't that like the essay question on college apps when we applied to 6 different colleges and we gave the same answer to that question "why do you want to go to Univ of XYZ." Obviously, I am missing something here. Please educate me (in a nice way) about the point of the rec letter and whether the letters are necessary for Clemson. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbutnotcountry View Post
I can't tell from these posts here what is the truth and what is making fun of the original question. Can I get a straight answer please? I'm not interested in the survey result but is rush really competitive at Clemson? Do I have to get recs from an alum of each chapter on campus? On the one hand I want to keep an open mind and meet each chapter to find my true sisters. On the other hand, if the only way to really get serious consideration is to have a rec letter, then what can someone say in the letter? They can't say that I love XYZ sorority because the truth is that I don't know anything about it. It seems insincere to have a rec written for each chapter. Isn't that like the essay question on college apps when we applied to 6 different colleges and we gave the same answer to that question "why do you want to go to Univ of XYZ." Obviously, I am missing something here. Please educate me (in a nice way) about the point of the rec letter and whether the letters are necessary for Clemson. Thank you.
Uh, they're making fun of the question.

Getting a recommendation for each chapter is a smart thing to do.

Don't worry about what's said IN the recommendation. They'll take care of that for you.

If you need to know more about recs, READ THIS CAREFULLY.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The rec letters are not ACTUAL letters, they're just official forms sent in by the sorority alumna with some basic info about you.

It's not something that an alumna has to write, they just fill it out and send it in.

They don't say anything about liking a specific sorority, they're just a standard thing that most PNMs will have. At a school like Clemson, securing recs is a great idea.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You don't write the letter of recommendation, an alumna of a sorority does.

1) Rush at Clemson is VERY competitive. In case someone misreads that, Rush at Clemson is VERY competitive!
2) If at all possible, you should get a rec for every sorority on campus.
3) You are not saying that you are in love with any of the sororities at this time!
4) There are several threads on how to find alumnae to write a rec for you. Using the search option, search for recommendations and you'll see them.
5) Make a list of the sororities at Clemson or whichever college you're going to attend.
6) Find at least one alumnae from each sorority.
7) Contact her and ask if she would mind writing a rec for you. She will NOT have to have gone to the same school.
8) If she wants to meet with you first, do so! Dress appropriately, and be on your best yet honest behavior. Answer every question that she asks, no matter how personal.
9) If you have a resume to hand to each alumna you will meet containing your name, address, phone, parents' names & affiliations, any greek affiliations in your family, your GPA, your honors, your activities, etc, etc, etc, each alumna will love you!
10) WRITE A THANK YOU to each of the alumnae for meeting with you, as if she does, she will undoubtedly be writing one for you.
11) Once you finish Recruitment, WRITE A THANK YOU to each of the alumnae who wrote a rec for you. It should read something like, "Again I thank you for taking the time to meet with me and write a rec. (blah, blah, blah, blah) I have accepted a bid from TUV sorority, and hope to be an asset to the chapter. If I can help you in the future, I would be honored. Thanks again, Pammy PNM"

I'm sure that I've left out a few things (help me here, KSUViolets!). Good luck with Recruitment.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Unregistered-

Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, KSUViolets & OTW - I knew I could depend on you to have the right links. This particular thread is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the advice. I went to a meeting about a month ago that was given by members of a local alum association. It was given to local high school senior girls. They gave us great advice about proper rush dress atire and behavior and they gave us their contact info for recs. I am going to create my resume now and then reach out to some of them.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

just wanted to make sure that you realize that you need only find an alumna of each sorority that clemson has, you do not have to get your recommendations from alumnae of the clemson chapters.

in other words, the nice ladies in texas who are alumnae members can write recommendations for you.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice. I went to a meeting about a month ago that was given by members of a local alum association. It was given to local high school senior girls. They gave us great advice about proper rush dress atire and behavior and they gave us their contact info for recs. I am going to create my resume now and then reach out to some of them.

Is this the Katy Panhellenic? Timing is right - let me know if it is. I can help.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Glad to learn you had a good experience at that local meeting and found it helpful. I'm equally glad you're working on following up, and, as others have mentioned, I encourage you to "reach out" -- as you put it -- to the contacts for every sorority that's at Clemson. Best wishes.