GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Epsilon Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,821
3 members and 1,818 guests
Cookiez17, zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

New Colonies!!

I just wanted to welcome our newest AEPhi colonies at Arizona State University and San Diego State University.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I also heard you are coming back to Miami of Ohio from an advisor I know on campus there.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

I would be a little suprised if we went back to Miami of Ohio this soon b/c I think it closed only 3 or 4 years ago (I know they were still active when I joined in 2001) but I have never really been in the expansion loop. Hopefully you're right, recolonizations are always great news.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I know the group at SDSU was a local named Alpha Epsilon formed with the intention of eventually affiliating with AEPhi.

As for the ASU chapter I haven't heard anything specific/official but my guess is they probably used to be the SAEPi chapter. I really doubt that SAEPi closed and then a completely new interest group formed a few months laters to affiliate with a similiar niche sorority.

I know SAEPi has been mentally linked by some to AEPhi because they mention us in their history but my instinct tells me that this is a unique situation. Why would groups go through all the effort to affiliate with one group only to drop them and go through even more effort to affiliate with another group. These are my assumptions of course because I don't know the official story. Anyone on the board from ASU who knows more details?

AEPhi chapters (at least from what I have seen) rarely form out of general open NPC expansions processes on campus. Colonies almost always seem to come from interest groups or locals forming with the specific intent of affiliating with AEPhi or a historically Jewish sorority.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:07 AM

Talking Hope you don't mind a board crasher!

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
From what I know the group at SDSU was a local named Alpha Epsilon formed with the intention of eventually affiliating with AEPhi.
Alpha Epsilon formed after SAEP closed. I find it very interesting that their national website doesn't even list it as a closed chapter. It was their first expansion. If any of you watched Sorority Life, you might remember the episode where the pledges go to Vegas and whine about the members not going. The members didn't go because they were in San Diego initiating the new chapter.

Congratulations on your new colonies!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I had figured they weren't connected because their crest would seem to indicate they were established in 2000.
Plus after reading through the campus greek history they mention the founding of Alpha Epsilon in 2001 with no reference to SAEPi.

I think SAEPi might have done the same thing with a chapter at Oregon. I am pretty sure they had a chapter up there that they don't know acknowledge having existed anymore either. My guess is SAEPi probably expanded a little to fast because I think they recently put a hold on expansion to strengthen the current chapters.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Re: Hope you don't mind a board crasher!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Alpha Epsilon formed after SAEP closed. I find it very interesting that their national website doesn't even list it as a closed chapter. It was their first expansion. If any of you watched Sorority Life, you might remember the episode where the pledges go to Vegas and whine about the members not going. The members didn't go because they were in San Diego initiating the new chapter.

Were they truly chartered as a chapter, or didn't they get past colony stage? Same for the one in Oregon.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to further sidetrack this thread (because that never happens on GC )

But, it seems maybe they were able to expand so fast because girls were hopeful that MtV would come back and do a "Where are they now" type show and the new chapters would be featured. Now that the hype is gone, and that's not looking like a possibility, they're back to being an ordinary group, and that may have hurt their expansion. (Not that I would want members who's sole purpose for joining is 5 minutes on MTV, but hey, that seems to be what this sorority is built on.) Anyone else get that impression??
Old 05-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Talking Re: Re: Hope you don't mind a board crasher!

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Were they truly chartered as a chapter, or didn't they get past colony stage? Same for the one in Oregon.
The San Diego one was an actual chapter. I assume the girls who formed AE had an association with SAEPi because of the timing. I don't know for a fact that they are associated though.

The IMG thing isn't working but if you click on the link I put in earlier there's a picture of a plaque that says:

Quote:
This plaque is in commemoration of the first affiliated chapter of SAEP

Initiated April 13th, 2002
San Diego State University
San Diego, California

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 05-26-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post

As for the ASU chapter I haven't heard anything specific/official but my guess is they probably used to be the SAEPi chapter. I really doubt that SAEPi closed and then a completely new interest group formed a few months laters to affiliate with a similiar niche sorority.

I know SAEPi has been mentally linked by some to AEPhi because they mention us in their history but my instinct tells me that this is a unique situation. Why would groups go through all the effort to affiliate with one group only to drop them and go through even more effort to affiliate with another group. These are my assumptions of course because I don't know the official story. Anyone on the board from ASU who knows more details?
OMG I was literally just told on Sunday night by the collegians at ASU what chapter it was. I don't believe it was SAEPi, just because I could have sworn they told me a three letter name. OMG that's going to bug me. LOL. So emailing the collegians when I get home from work

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in the new SDSU colony!! I rushed last fall when it was still just Alpha Epsilon but had to drop unfortunetlly. SDSU's chapter became AEPhi in the spring and two weeks later they won Greek Week! We also just won the Dean's list and got your trophy last weekend during homecoming. I rushed again this fall and got in. I love it so much and all of the girls.

Next Thursday (Nov 9) is our Big Sis reveling. It is also my bday so it is great bday present. Anyone have any tips on what to say on my poster for my Big Sis?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Congratulations and welcome to AEPhi!

How big is the colony? Do you have a website?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I'm not AEPhi, but I was going to ASU and they were SAEPi. There were facebook groups that was called "We Quit Sigma" and in its discription said that they quit Sigma to become part of AEPhi. But I thought I read somewhere that this isn't the first time AEPhi has been at ASU, so its recolonizing there.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
I'm not AEPhi, but I was going to ASU and they were SAEPi. There were facebook groups that was called "We Quit Sigma" and in its discription said that they quit Sigma to become part of AEPhi. But I thought I read somewhere that this isn't the first time AEPhi has been at ASU, so its recolonizing there.
It is a recolonization but I don't think the chapter was there very recently. ASU was our Epsilon Zeta chapter found in 1958. I think they have to have been inactive for at least 10 years as they were not active when I pledged in 2001 and I hadn't heard any references to their recent closure around then. I am guessing that it has been closed long enough that its dates might be in the last Baird's if someone checked.

I am curious to hear what happened for them to end up dropping Sigma. Maybe I'll meet one of the colony members at convention so I can ask.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM

My NM manual, dated 1993, also indicates that Epsilon Zeta chapter was inactive at that time.

Not to worry... it's always great to see a recolonization.