GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,449
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, bvelesyjnay197

Old 11-07-2002, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm a newbie!

Good morning, folks.

I just stumbled across this site and this board recently.

I'm seeing the posts with my own eyes but I still can't believe it: there are OTHER alumni who want to join sororities? Praise be, I thought I was the only one!!

Here's a brief intro................(I promise, it will be brief <g>)

I graduated from a very large university on the East coast back in 1990. (That makes me 34, guys.)
I went through rush, and had my heart set on one sorority, but did not receive a bid. There is a long story about this but if someone would like the details, I'll refer it to PMs. (I promised to be brief. )
I did my best to stay active through college and beyond, but it was hard. I am the only child in my family, and I was so looking forward to joining a new family of sisters. Not just to have sisters around, but to *be* a sister, a reliable support to other girls as well.
I tried to put the experience behind me but it was always there. Something was missing.
I ended up marrying a Kappa Alpha brother, who is quite serious about the vows he took at his initiation. (One of the reasons I love him so much--he takes vows seriously. <G>) This put the Greek thought closer to the front of my mind. So, I just started browsing, found the website of the sorority I missed, brushed up on the information and ideals, but didn't get my hopes up. After all, college is over and I have a home and a family (hopefully soon!) to think about.

Then I found this forum.

After getting my jaw up off the floor, I signed up an logged in.

Is it *really* possible to pledge a sorority, even after all these years? I am imagining being able to promote the Greek system at my alma mater (which is struggling under difficult circumstances), maybe cross-pollinate the ideas that keep them alive with the schools in my new home (Houston-area).
I am almost too afraid to take the big step to ask.

I don't even know where to begin with questions or how to join in. How do the collegiate members feel about alumnae being initiated alongside them? How do you go up to a sorority and say, "Hi, my name is Adrienne, and even though I graduated college years ago, I would like to dedicate myself to promoting your ideals and work. Will you pledge me?"

I'll stop babbling and let my mind stop swimming. I'd be overjoyed to hear from any ladies (or gentlemen) out there with a thought or comment.

Wow!!! I just can't tell you how happy I am to find this board!

--Adrienne
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-07-2002, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW--
I am not sure what the rules are, I am sure that they are different with each organization. But if you were in my area and that was my chapter I would be knocking on your door. It is soooooo very hard to get things done when you have a weak greek system and even harder to get people to help you. I think that these women would love to have you around. And if they do not they are crazy and you have an open invitaion to join us in chicago.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome!! I'm glad to see another Texas lady seeking alumna initiation. I was just like you - Wow, you mean we can REALLY do this? I was so excited just to learn about it.

Good luck with your search. There are many ladies here on GC who will help you. That's where I found my mentors, and I hope to be able to report good news soon.

Lizz
Old 11-07-2002, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

adduncan-- I've just PM'd you (sent you a private message)
Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 AM

Welcome!

There are lots of women here who have gone through the alum initiation process... I'm sure they can give you some insight.

Alum initiation policies range from "we don't do it at all" (AEPhi is in this category ) to "you have to have a relative who's a member" to "anyone can try for alum initiation".

From what I've read here, your best bet is to choose one and only one group to pursue, contact either their national office or local alum chapter, maybe get involved with a collegiate chapter if there's one nearby, and go from there. The process can take months or years, so be patient!

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-07-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Oh wow--thanx so much, folks.

I'm typing on my 'puter at home today to keep my fingers warm. (Furnace went out just as the weather got nippy and I'm waiting on the repair guy. Brrrrr!)

While I'm listening to the PMs and all the advice, I'd like to hear what the "rules" are for discussing this topic. Is it gauche to mention the group you would like to join as an alum, or is it OK? I've been out of school for so long I want to make sure that I get off on the right foot.

Thank you again--I'll be checking in often!

Adrienne
Old 11-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
Oh wow--thanx so much, folks.

I'm typing on my 'puter at home today to keep my fingers warm. (Furnace went out just as the weather got nippy and I'm waiting on the repair guy. Brrrrr!)

While I'm listening to the PMs and all the advice, I'd like to hear what the "rules" are for discussing this topic. Is it gauche to mention the group you would like to join as an alum, or is it OK? I've been out of school for so long I want to make sure that I get off on the right foot.

Thank you again--I'll be checking in often!

Adrienne
I would say that it's completely up to you how much you want to mention (names, etc). Some feel that it will jinx you if you mention the groups. Others mention the groups they are interested. We are here to help and if you have any questions ask away! I want to say that there is probably at least 1 alumna initiate from each NPC group that has an alumna initiate program on this board who can answer any questions you might have. There are also a few threads that have many questions answered - and are still on the first page of Alumni Involvement.

Sarah
AOII Alumna Initiate '00
Old 11-07-2002, 02:16 PM

Hi Adrienne,
I just wanted to say "Welcome to GC and to your pursuit of Alumnae Initiation!".

Don't let your age deter you from wanting to do this...I was 31 when I was initiated into Delta Gamma as an alumna initiate, and know of many others who were in their 30s, right up to age 37.

I sent you a Private Message, and I hope that I can help you out with any advice that you may be seeking with regards to this process! There are many many others who were successfully initiatied into sororities, so it can happen for you, too! Just to give you an idea, I know of women on this board who are alumnae initiaties of Delta Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, & Gamma Phi Beta, and I do know of some who are "pending" right now, for Sigma Kappa, Pi Beta Phi, Delta Gamma and Gamma Phi Beta. So, even though you might think you are the only one, trust me, there are others out there! I can think of about 12 women on GC alone who were alumnae initiates!

Good Luck and please keep us posted. Also, if you have any questions, please PM me!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Adrienne,
Just wanted to add my welcome to the other GC posters here.
I am so impressed with your story. I think your true interest in having a "family" of sisters to surround you will make you a wonderful asset to any sorority. I wish you all the luck in the world finding your Greek home.
violets
Old 11-07-2002, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG CutiePi2000-- i thought you were like 21 bc 2000 is after your name and that's the year i graduated highschool so I thought that was the same for you and thus you would be 21 or close to it.
I think it's awesome that people can have the experience after college to still be greek.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

how exciting for you!!! i am glad that you will be pursuing alum initiation. best of luck! keep us posted with your progress! there are lots of threads that can answer your questions, and some people who are very knowledgeable and would help you find your way!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Yay! Another prospective alumna initiate! I am so excited for you.

I found GreekChat last spring. It has provided me with not only a wealth of knowledge on alumna initiation, but also with wonderful mentors. Everyone on here is so helpful.

I am pursuing alumna initiation with Gamma Phi Beta. If you have any questions that I can help with or if you ever just want to talk, please feel free to pm me. I wish you nothing but success with your endeavor!
Old 11-07-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up WELCOME !!

To all of the Newies, Glad to see Ya!

Yes it is possible to Initiate as an Alum and YOU will get a lot of Help and advice from the Cream of The Crop, The Best Of The Best on GC!

While we all have our little spats, that is because we are a very large Family!

Much love and caring by one and all is on this site! I too am so glad that I have found it and multitued of Great Freinds on here!

WELCOME, and the Best of luck in your endevor, we are all here to help you if we can!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-08-2002, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
Hey Adrienne!

I'm so excited that you are persuing alumnae initiation into a sorority......Alpha Sigma Alpha accepts alumnae initiates in fact we had 4 at our initation and we (the collegiate members) were excited for them just as we were excited for each other and ourselves.....just because you are at a different stage in life than a typical collegiate doesn't mean that the collegiates will look down upon you or think you are strange after all you are/will be their sister......thats my opinion on the whole issue and i wish you so much luck with finding a sisterhood after all these years.....as everyone else has said keep us posted.