GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Oh my god. I am sorry but I don't see how someone like you can start an organization. It is so hard for people to get things on your head (and I am speaking not only from your posts on greekchat but also in the sororitygirl Live Journal).

I know you got the Erini thing from me, becuase I was tyring to explain how people choose letters that mean something.

You wouldn't actually call your sorority "Erini", you would just use the Sigma letter to represent it. The whole point in using letters in your name is to abbreviate words only YOUR SISTERS will know once initiated.

Tkae my sorority for example. Delta Gamma (DG) is an abbrevation for some certain greek words. Delta Gammas know what the letters stand for and what our name means - but no one else does because it is part of our ritual.

If you go around saying what your letters stand for - then there isn't anything special to your group because everyone will know what your greek letters mean. What is the fun in that?

Please, for the love of all that is holy, research greek organizations a little better before you start your own. It seems like your whole knwoledge of the greek world is like me applying to be a chemical engineer for NASA when I am just a History major.

I know this sounds mean, but you just keep saying the same thing - and we keep trying to explain things to you and nothing is sinking in! Please - go back and reread everything people have told you and sit for a minute. Let it sink in before replying. Infact, just go unplug your keyboard and lock it in your car and use your mouse. Seriously. And I swear if you reply to this with "The sisters of Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi are NOT an NPC sorority" - I am going to scream. You keep repeating things we already know (infact they are things we told you).

Saying "I am sorry but I don't see how someone like you can start an organization." is offensive. Many people like me started their own organizations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Is Sigma Iota Gamma copywrited?

If not, could I take that into consideration?
CHECK! Check with the US Patent Office. Do a Google for "Sigma Iota Gamma." Starting a sorority is a lot of work - you need to be prepared.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
Girl, you AB-SO-LUTE-LY killll me!! Bwhahahaha!!!
*~LOL~*

I concur!
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Is Sigma Iota Gamma copywrited?

If not, could I take that into consideration?
The easiest way to research is to search things on google.com

I think you would be fine with SIG. If a sorority is using it, it is not a large national organization. And I didn't see any on google except for at a small college in New England with no greek system, probably trying to do the same thing you are trying to do.

Edited to add: Do not try to contact them for their approval. You don't need their approval.

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-15-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
Girl, you AB-SO-LUTE-LY killll me!! Bwhahahaha!!!
You rock my world you know you did...

KLTC
Old 07-15-2003, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
How bout Sigma Alpha Delta Sigma? Is that one taken?

KLTC
Old 07-15-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Cristinasmile, most people who start up sororities have a good working knowledge or at least have put in the effort to do research. The least you could have done in this instance was head on over to the Locals board, READ THROUGH, and once you had a general sense of things, start asking questions that show more knowledge that backwards-looking letter-picking.

In addition, most people who start up sororities are independent, intelligent women with a vision. Glancing through your profile and your LJ, I'm afraid being a 23 year old college student who still lives with her parents indicates that at this point in your life, you have other things that need your attention and energy. Dreams are fine, but in your case you need to seriously reprioritize your short term and long term goals and plans.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristin AGD
The easiest way to research is to search things on google.com

I think you would be fine with SIG. If a sorority is using it, it is not a large national organization. And I didn't see any on google except for at a small college in New England with no greek system, probably trying to do the same thing you are trying to do.
Which college was that?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Tau Kappa probably isn't taken. TK - those letters look good together.

This can be your ritual:

The greek letters Tau Kappa stand for Toublo Kefali. Toublo being the greek word for Brick and Kefali being the greek word for....

Wait. This would be mean. I must shut up.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Tau Kappa probably isn't taken. TK - those letters look good together.

This can be your ritual:

The greek letters Tau Kappa stand for Toublo Kefali. Toublo being the greek word for Brick and Kefali being the greek word for....

Wait. This would be mean. I must shut up.

Oh no....you did not go there! That's *too* funny.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

use your head

>>>>Which college was that?<<<<

She just told you that she searched on Google. You might take that hint and do a little of your own research.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

www.google.com

it's a search engine.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I've been reading through all these threads regarding SKEPi, and I had to add my comments. I don't know what cristinasmile's situation is, but it's obvious that she's confused. That's not such a bad thing, and we're here to help, right? I must admit, even though there are three Greeks in my immediate family, I didn't know jack diddly about how sororities operated when I rushed. And for about a year after I joined one, I was still learning. Some of us are a little slower on the uptake than others, I guess! So my point is, try to be understanding...believe me, I know it's verrrrry easy to get frustrated, but I think we should just calm down and explain it however many times we need to in order to get the message through.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunarwolf
Cristinasmile, most people who start up sororities have a good working knowledge or at least have put in the effort to do research. The least you could have done in this instance was head on over to the Locals board, READ THROUGH, and once you had a general sense of things, start asking questions that show more knowledge that backwards-looking letter-picking.

In addition, most people who start up sororities are independent, intelligent women with a vision. Glancing through your profile and your LJ, I'm afraid being a 23 year old college student who still lives with her parents indicates that at this point in your life, you have other things that need your attention and energy. Dreams are fine, but in your case you need to seriously reprioritize your short term and long term goals and plans.
To say "I'm afraid being a 23 year old college student who lives with her parents indicates that at this point in your life, you have other things that need attention an energy"- to say "most peoople who start up sororities are independent, intelligent women with a vison".

You should be down-right ashamed of yourself for saying that statement. I am an intelligent, young woman regardless of what you think. Just because i live at home does not mean I'm not independent.

You owe an appology,
Old 07-15-2003, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I've been reading through all these threads regarding SKEPi, and I had to add my comments. I don't know what cristinasmile's situation is, but it's obvious that she's confused. That's not such a bad thing, and we're here to help, right? I must admit, even though there are three Greeks in my immediate family, I didn't know jack diddly about how sororities operated when I rushed. And for about a year after I joined one, I was still learning. Some of us are a little slower on the uptake than others, I guess! So my point is, try to be understanding...believe me, I know it's verrrrry easy to get frustrated, but I think we should just calm down and explain it however many times we need to in order to get the message through.
At least someone isn't going to assume something lower of me than I actually am. You gotta give someone credit for wanting to create a women's group on their campus. Yeah people have done it before, and my school is small so that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Like I've said before, I am now creating a women's group. I'd like to call it a Greek name, however right now it's a woman's group not a sorority. But in the future, maybe it would become one.

People may hate the idea of using Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi and not try to affiliate. Well, I think it's better to be in it for awhile, see how everything goes, and then decide if you wan to affiliate.