GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,337
5 members and 1,332 guests
aaidativanovoz6, JayhawkAOII, MSKKG

Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Honestly, people's tolerance of first year students will be based on their experiences and expectations. For instance, I take an underage and wild young drinker very seriously because that isn't how my collegiate experience was and that wasn't the expectation that was set for myself and others in my circle.

And, as previously stated, when you add potential RM issues to the mix, it goes beyond being tolerant because some people think what the OP did is a typical first year thing to do.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Something tells me we're not getting the full story here.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

There has to be more to this. What the hell kind of house "withdraws" a bid due to one not too terrible incident. What the hell kind of house boots you out without any formal action where you get to offer mitigation. You paid for the tank lid 'cuz you were wasted and broke it? Damn, we blew up the john with cherry bombs and the result was that we had to clean up the mess and pay for a new one. The actives thought we were showing signs of coming together and they/we used photos of the blown up john for years after as part of 'party hearty' recruitment displays.
We probably would have checked you out as a good prospect once it was known that you were the guy who got sauced and busted up the john and then took responsibility and paid for repairs and so on. Every house has a couple of wild guys who know when to get crazy and when to cool it and fly right. If there isn't more to the story like you broke the tank cover over the pledge masters head or something worse you are probably better off away from that bunch of .....
Find a good house that you get along with and go for it if your school has COB. If not, rush again next opportunity. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
they/we used photos of the blown up john for years after as part of 'party hearty' recruitment displays.
Quote:
COB

Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Honestly, people's tolerance of first year students will be based on their experiences and expectations. For instance, I take an underage and wild young drinker very seriously because that isn't how my collegiate experience was and that wasn't the expectation that was set for myself and others in my circle.

And, as previously stated, when you add potential RM issues to the mix, it goes beyond being tolerant because some people think what the OP did is a typical first year thing to do.
Even if you didn't drink as a freshman, I just can't see an 18 year old drinking too much as a surprise. Your average 18 year old WILL make stupid choices, probably lots of varied levels of stupid choices. I've never had a problem with the new member that has a bad night because she's never had that much to drink before. She might embarrass herself, but if she's learned her lesson and doesn't repeat the indecent, no problem. That doesn't necessarily add up to a "wild drinker". Now the new member that gets that out of control at every party is a different story...that's a sign that she's going to be causing trouble for a good long while, and some sort of action needs to be taken from a reprimand to expulsion.

Though in a fraternity, I would think drinking is even less of a surprise. Mind you, this is from my experience around fraternities at my campus, Auburn, UA, Ole Miss, etc. If this kid hasn't pulled a similar stunt before, I think expelling him seems overboard. But who knows...maybe this is incident #2, 3, or 4...?

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 10-12-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Even if you didn't drink as a freshman, I just can't see an 18 year old drinking too much as a surprise. Your average 18 year old WILL make stupid choices, probably lots of varied levels of stupid choices. I've never had a problem with the new member that has a bad night because she's never had that much to drink before. She might embarrass herself, but if she's learned her lesson and doesn't repeat the indecent, no problem. That doesn't necessarily add up to a "wild drinker". Now the new member that gets that out of control at every party is a different story...that's a sign that she's going to be causing trouble for a good long while, and some sort of action needs to be taken from a reprimand to expulsion.

Though in a fraternity, I would think drinking is even less of a surprise. Mind you, this is from my experience around fraternities at my campus, Auburn, UA, Ole Miss, etc. If this kid hasn't pulled a similar stunt before, I think expelling him seems overboard. But who knows...maybe this is incident #2, 3, or 4...?
Like agzg (I think) said earlier, if this was 1) a brand new organization or 2) an organization that's already being watched by the school/IHQ, they might not want to take the risk, even if the behavior was not uncommon for someone his age.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Even if you didn't drink as a freshman, I just can't see an 18 year old drinking too much as a surprise.
Drinking too much and acting wild because of it. It actually was a surprise to some people, myself included. It made most of my friends and me say "damn...is alcohol that serious?" We all became chapter Sorors, so our opinions on binge drinking in general, underage binge drinkers, and out of control partiers had a huge impact on chapter operations and interactions with aspirants.

I'm not saying that most people are surprised. But, reading people in this thread say "haha...freshmen" actually raises an eyebrow. LOL. Anyway, assuming we only know half the real story in this thread, I think that chapter's response makes sense and wasn't extreme.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Like agzg (I think) said earlier, if this was 1) a brand new organization or 2) an organization that's already being watched by the school/IHQ, they might not want to take the risk, even if the behavior was not uncommon for someone his age.
Yep and they could just think the OP is drunkcrazy and not want the risk, period. That's one helluva first impression.

I was just offering another reason why some chapters (and not just sorority chapters) may be more strict on certain things.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Maybe he was on the douche borderline to begin with (half the bros liked him, half thought he was a douche but were encouraged to give him a chance) and this just pushed him over the edge.

Also, if it got around campus and there are other fraternities gunning for you (or an administration gunning for you) they won't hesistate to call up your HQ and tell all about it. In that case it's best for the fraternity to show they won't tolerate that sort of behavior.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Something tells me we're not getting the full story here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
There has to be more to this.
I'm with y'all, although the more may be what others have suggested -- that the chapter is already being watched and couldn't afford the risk. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's even more to the story.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Co-sign with all the people above saying we don't have the whole story. I just find it really hard to beleive a fraterntiy at a school with a huge greek life presence would kick someone out over this.

I'm thinking maybe this isn't the first time something like this has happened and there is a pattern. Or maybe they regretted giving the kid a bid and needed an excuse to kick him out.

On my campus, some kid got his bid taken away on induction night because he got so wasted and puked during the ceremony (My chapter passed on him because he had sexual predator written all over him. Like, take the worst of Jersey Shore and multiply it by 100)
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Drinking too much and acting wild because of it. It actually was a surprise to some people, myself included. It made most of my friends and me say "damn...is alcohol that serious?" We all became chapter Sorors, so our opinions on binge drinking in general, underage binge drinkers, and out of control partiers had a huge impact on chapter operations and interactions with aspirants.

I'm not saying that most people are surprised. But, reading people in this thread say "haha...freshmen" actually raises an eyebrow. LOL. Anyway, assuming we only know half the real story in this thread, I think that chapter's response makes sense and wasn't extreme.
How's the air up there in that Ivory Tower?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Think about some of the Greek systems around the country who lost half of their fraternities for an array of unforgivable/stupid/dangerous things. Do you think when any of those fraternities got back on campus they wouldn't be this hard core? Newish chapter could mean back on campus after getting kicked off 10 years ago because a pledge died from an alcohol incident. Not saying it is, but you could imagine THAT house would have a zero tolerance policy. And maybe a pledge wouldn't appreciate the gravity of that situation not knowing the whole back story.

I wish him the best of luck and maybe a little clarity on the evils of drinking to excess. It's not just your liver that can suffer; your social life can too.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm with y'all, although the more may be what others have suggested -- that the chapter is already being watched and couldn't afford the risk. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's even more to the story.
My money's still on breaking the toilet while in the bathroom hooking up with the pledgemaster's girlfriend.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
My money's still on breaking the toilet while in the bathroom hooking up with the pledgemaster's girlfriend.