GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, and Delta Zeta have been invited to present at the University of Nevada-Reno.
Interesting that UNR is open for presentations, given that Pi Beta Phi was suspended last year until at least 2015. The official press release says that the chapter will retain its charter but will not have a campus presence, so is this a situation where the chapter will stay inactive for a year and then reactivate in a ground-up recolonization? I'm confused about the terminology of "suspending chapter operations" but "retaining its charter".
Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Interesting that UNR is open for presentations, given that Pi Beta Phi was suspended last year until at least 2015. The official press release says that the chapter will retain its charter but will not have a campus presence, so is this a situation where the chapter will stay inactive for a year and then reactivate in a ground-up recolonization? I'm confused about the terminology of "suspending chapter operations" but "retaining its charter".
The "suspending chapter operations" but "retaining its charter" seems similar to what happens – in some cases - to IFC chapters. The chapter is suspended and is “shut down” for the duration of the suspension. Current members are given alumni status (except for those that may have been expelled). In other cases, the chapter is suspended and not allowed to take new members or have social events but are able to hold meetings and raise funds for their philanthropy. However, they may not have any social events around the fundraising. If they have a house, in some cases, they are not allowed to live in it during the suspension. Basically, it isn’t a true suspension of “all” chapter operations, but more so the social aspects (mixers, parties, Greek life events, living in the house etc.)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
It's so they don't move their feet and lose their seat. If they shut the chapter down completely, they would have to wait for the next time the campus expands to restart it. This way they can have a handful of sisters there doing not much of anything in particular except retaining collegiate status and then ground up recolonize.

Complete speculation here, but the presentations may be a sort of CYA in case Pi Phi decides at the end of their suspension/during recolonization attempts that they want to leave instead. I looked at their grade reports on the college website and unless I'm reading them wrong it seems like the pledge classes are really huge compared to number of sisters going into rush (i.e. 80 sisters and 69 pledges) but that just might have been due to one less sorority.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Complete speculation here, but the presentations may be a sort of CYA in case Pi Phi decides at the end of their suspension/during recolonization attempts that they want to leave instead. I looked at their grade reports on the college website and unless I'm reading them wrong it seems like the pledge classes are really huge compared to number of sisters going into rush (i.e. 80 sisters and 69 pledges) but that just might have been due to one less sorority.
I just glanced at the grade report #'s you mentioned. F'13 was like you said, roughly 70-80 actives with roughly 60-70 pledges.

Based on how many bids were accepted F'13, if Pi Phi had been taking new sisters the pledge classes may have been ~50 with around 80 active members per house. Now bear with me, if Pi Phi had been involved in recruitment and there had been a 6th house during F'13 recruitment, there could have been ~42 new members per sorority which is approximately the size that the pledge classes were F'11 and F'12.

Obviously these are rough estimates and complete speculation, but I can see the university entertaining the idea of potentially: (1) CYA in case Pi Phi decides not to come back and the number of girls going through recruitment goes back down or (2) reinstating Pi Phi as well as adding a new house if the number of girls going through recruitment stays at around the level of F'13.

Of course I have absolutely no ties to the university and there isn't actually enough data from that grade report to predict whether the level of interest will stay at the higher level that was seen during F'13, but these are my two cents.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Rollins (FL): ADPi, Theta and Phi Mu presenting
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Via twitter, I believe Texas Tech will be announcing who has been invited to present tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta, Kappa Delta and Phi Mu are presenting at Northern Arizona University
Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, apparently Northern Arizona University is open for expansion and Alpha Xi Delta, Phi Mu and Kappa Delta have been selected to present!

https://twitter.com/NAUCPC/status/50...736129/photo/1

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 09-10-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon is presenting today at the University of North Georgia
Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Zeta, and Phi Mu will be presenting at Texas Tech!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Zeta, and Phi Mu will be presenting at Texas Tech!
Congratulations! My Alpha Xi mom is very excited about the possibility of another Texas chapter.

I'm sad that today's news means that there isn't hope of my own chapter recolonizing at this time, but I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Whichever organization ends up colonizing, Tech is a wonderful school with a great Greek community. Guns Up!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Lubbock has a special place in my heart since one my dad's pictures is on the water tower there. I have yet to see it in person.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
Congratulations! My Alpha Xi mom is very excited about the possibility of another Texas chapter.

I'm sad that today's news means that there isn't hope of my own chapter recolonizing at this time, but I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Whichever organization ends up colonizing, Tech is a wonderful school with a great Greek community. Guns Up!!!
My mom was an Alpha Xi at TX State (before it was TX State lol), so she'd be happy to see them at my alma mater!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg233 View Post
Delta Phi Epsilon is presenting today at the University of North Georgia
Any other sororities presenting?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post

I am very sad too and I am not sure why we didn't get picked:-( Our alumnae chapter president's chapter is Texas Tech and she really wanted Gamma Phi Beta to recolonize.

Were these three sororities at Texas Tech in the past?