GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,477
3 members and 2,474 guests
GammaGirl1908, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Bama Rush Question

Hey yall,

I'm looking at attending bama , and I would be interested in rushing. I am a legacy of a certain sorority there and when I visited I was very surprised that there is little to no ethnic diversity in their sororities Im not sure if it is because the minorities do not rush or because they are denied membership??

The whole thing worries me and I could use some guidance.
Thank yall

ps. im sure this is a touchy topic but.....the truth is always nice...ill take PMs too!

Last edited by GAgalBamabound; 02-19-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

This is an example of what all GLO's call doing your research first before you post... It is clearly obvious, you have not done it.

Search on GC and Google as a START it -- is your friend.

Find the answer to this question: What is the RUSH system? That can easily be found here, on your college's website and the National Panhellenic Conference's website, and all associated affiliate organizations.

I am unclear of any sorority by the name of "aha"... "Alpha Eta Alpha"???

Good luck!

ETA: Going to college and getting an education needs to be your first priority before you think of joining any extracurricular activities... Congrats on your acceptance, but seriously, as easily as you got accepted, you can be easily kicked out if you are unable to manage your coursework. If I have seen it once, I've seen it a million times...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 01-12-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Are you joking? I'm pretty sure she meant "hahaha" just in shortened form.

Quote:
Find the answer to this question: What is the RUSH system?
Assuming she is talking about a NPC sorority, what would "finding the answer" to this question prove? That she knows what recruitment is? That doesn't really answer her question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAgalBamabound View Post
I saw a lot of posts about bama rush, but none addressing this topic,so I decided to make my own, and first, thread. woohoo :P

Hello all,

I'll be attending Bama this fall ( ROLL TIDE ROLL haha) and I really was looking forward to rushing. I am a legacy of a certain sorority there and when I visited I was very surprised that there is little to no ethnic diversity in their sororities ( I am african american by the way). Im not sure if it is because the minorities do not rush or because they are denied membership??

The whole thing worries me and I could use some guidance. I would really love to be in a panhellenic sorority...preferably my legacy aha.

Thank yall

ps. if you are an active or alum of a bama sorority please say so, as your advice will be more valuable haha...but of course im not asking you to say which one.

pss. im sure this is a touchy topic but.....the truth is always nice...ill take PMs too!

Of course, I am not from Bama, so I can't give a good answer. But my advice (if you are talking about an NPC sorority) is to rush. You won't ever truly know the answer to your question unless you try. If they do cut you b/c of your ethnicity, then you gotta think--is that the type of sorority I want to be in?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Of course, I am not from Bama, so I can't give a good answer. But my advice (if you are talking about an NPC sorority) is to rush. You won't ever truly know the answer to your question unless you try. If they do cut you b/c of your ethnicity, then you gotta think--is that the type of sorority I want to be in?
I'm also assuming she was talking about NPC since the OP said she was African American and that she was worried about the lack of diversity.

Anyways, I don't know enough about Bama's rush to offer any help but I did want to agree with epchick, if they do cut you because of your ethnicity then it may not be worth it to you, as disappointing as that would be. Keep in mind that membership selection is private so you may never know why you were cut, if you are. Also, Bama's rush is very competitive from what I understand so don't automatically assume you were cut because of race

I hope you enjoy the rest of high school and good luck in college and if you do go through recruitment I hope you come back and share your story!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is an example of what all GLO's call doing your research first before you post... It is clearly obvious, you have not done it.

Search on GC and Google as a START it -- is your friend.

Find the answer to this question: What is the RUSH system? That can easily be found here, on your college's website and the National Panhellenic Conference's website, and all associated affiliate organizations.

Good luck!

ETA: Going to college and getting an education needs to be your first priority before you think of joining any extracurricular activities... Congrats on your acceptance, but seriously, as easily as you got accepted, you can be easily kicked out if you are unable to manage your coursework. If I have seen it once, I've seen it a million times...

wow...i was saying aha as in laughing...not a sorority

i never asked what the rush system was, i am very informed on how the process goes.

i asked this question because there are pre-rush things going on and rush is before school even starts...and thank you for your concern of my involvement and time management skills but i think your post was unneccessarily rude for something you completely misunderstood.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Are you joking? I'm pretty sure she meant "hahaha" just in shortened form.

Assuming she is talking about a NPC sorority, what would "finding the answer" to this question prove? That she knows what recruitment is? That doesn't really answer her question.
The second section first. She doesn't know there is a difference. She does not understand why there is a lack of diversity at the University of Alabama and it concerns her. If she wants to be in a NPC sorority, then I was suggesting that she understand what the term "Rush" means before she starts an entire thread about something she obviously has little understanding...

This goes to say, that I don't care which organization she pursues. Gook luck. But shortened acronyms typed in lowercase is offensive to me... At least try to use the terminology fully if you really want to pursue membership. Moreover, if she is a legacy, she has a strike against her already, seriously... Even though she might be able to skip on in, she will be like numerous others, hurt, downtrodden saying "why did I do this, I wanna drop"...

So basically, she would want to "slow her roll" and try to GO TO college, get excellent grades, and then think about any NPHC sorority at the University of Alabama...

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 01-12-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

and thank you epchick and sceniczip for your advice...if they were to cut me for that i wouldnt want to be apart of that kind of organization anyway, but i will not jump to conclusions as to why i was cut.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

and akamonet i am referring to NPC sorority recruitment (formerly known as rush) not NPHC intake...

but thank you for trying to help.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM

The best thing for you to do is prepare the best way you can. Get recs and letters of support. Have good grades. Be involved in HS. Present yourself well.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAgalBamabound View Post
wow...i was saying aha as in laughing...not a sorority

i never asked what the rush system was, i am very informed on how the process goes.

i asked this question because there are pre-rush things going on and rush is before school even starts...and thank you for your concern of my involvement and time management skills but i think your post was unneccessarily rude for something you completely misunderstood.
Oh I can be ruder... LOL... I thought my post was very insightful... Oh well..

Defensive much?

Did you NOT post something about the lack of diversity in sororities at the University of Alabama?

Why would you post this if you did not care about those facts? If you can answer these questions for yourself, then pursue the organization of your hearts content, no one cares what organization you want pursue. We do not have to do any hard sells here...

Yes, I am well aware of decisions you have to take prior to starting school. But if you understood the "rushing system", then you would know that if you see a Sorority that fits your values, then you can pursue it...

Good luck in your endeavors...

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 01-12-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The best thing for you to do is prepare the best way you can. Get recs and letters of support. Have good grades. Be involved in HS. Present yourself well.

THANK YOU!!! Finally, someone with experiential knowledge...

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you ksuviolet, will do
Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait . . .isn't the word "process" usually used by NPHC sororities?

And as to legacies at the University of Alabama - well, there are plenty of threads about that. Alabama is a competitive recruitment for EVERYONE. Do your homework as KSUViolet recommended. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So basically, she would want to "slow her roll" and try to GO TO college, get excellent grades, and then think about any NPHC sorority at the University of Alabama...
Wow, then you TOTALLY read her post wrong. She's is pursuing an NPC sorority. She doesn't need to learn what "rush" (p.s. its called recruitment) is. She'll go through that soon enough.

I didn't know that "hahaha" or "aha" was an acronym for something. And the fact that it offends you, is well.....whatever.

ETA: GAgal, do heed KSUviolet's recommendation. That's the best advice.

Last edited by epchick; 01-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Wait . . .isn't the word "process" usually used by NPHC sororities?
Hence, my confusions as to what she was talking about...