GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,410
3 members and 1,407 guests
aangelasuasd942, janesstexxda745

Old 06-14-2020, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Inititation by Alumni groups in NIC/NPC?

For the NPHC fraternities and sororities, it is my believe that a alumni(ae) chapter, which may be geographical, perform Alumni Initiations.

For the NPC and NIC groups, that have Alumni Initiations, it appears that these are either done by a collegiate chapter or by the National Office.

Do any of the NPC/NIC groups have Alumni Initiations that are performed by a group of Alumni as the NPHC fraternities do.

I'm in a discussion wondering why my co-ed community service fraternity doesn't do Alumni Associations as the NPHC groups do (The Alumni Associations in the Philippines are much stronger than those in the USA). I'd like to be able to make a blanket statement about the NIC/NPC groups in that regard (that AIs are only performed by collegiate chapters and national).

*For *this* purposes, I'm excluding those groups in the NIC which have cross membership in either the NPHC or NALFO.

Last edited by naraht; 06-15-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more exact.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

In Delta Phi Epsilon, alumnae groups can do the initiation ritual for an AI candidate. They can also be initiated by a collegiate chapter or at convention.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

In Gamma Phi Beta, alumnae chapters may sponsor an alumna initiate, but they must be initiated by a collegiate chapter. Collegiate chapters may also sponsor and initiate alumnae, and some are initiated at Conventions.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
In Delta Gamma, membership selection is a privilege reserved to collegians. Therefore, a collegiate chapter has to be found that will agree to initiate a woman proposed for membership and approved by Executive Offices. I can't imagine any wouldn't, but I don't know. It's often, I think, done by the chapter hosting our convention.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been to local DG alum initiation at a local collegiate chapter. We just don't do that har
dly at all here....only had one come up once that I know about in 30 years...
Old 06-16-2020, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta's process is similar to Gamma Phi Beta's. Most of the time, alumnae initiates are mother's, sisters or daughters of Alpha Gams. Sometimes, collegiate chapters sponsor their house mother's for initiation. Sometimes, Alumnae Chapters sponsor a woman who is a friend of someone in the Alumnae Chapter who wants to become more involved. Either way, every alum initiate is initiated into an existing collegiate chapter and they are either initiated at that chapter or they can be initiated at our International Convention.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:53 PM

In the old days (cue footage of a wagon train), Sigma Chi alumni initiates were only done by initiating with a chapter that was being chartered. The AI had to fly or drive to wherever the new chapter was and was then included on the charter.

Now, Sigma Chi AIs are initiated with the chapter that is sponsoring them at anytime a pledge class is being initiated.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

In Phi Kappa Tau, a AI candidate must be recommended by an initiated brother. Most of the time it's a initiates son/brother/dad. Our National Council reviews and votes whether the AI candidate can be initiated. An undergraduate chapter usually performs the initiation.

Here's the catch, the AI candidates get to choose which undergrad chapter they want to be initiated and affiliated with, this includes any closed chapter. Usually these closed chapter initiations are performed at convention to VIPs; like government officials, TV stars, athletes.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all.

I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on this thread. I'd love to see the comments continue.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Just for clarity (or confirmation, the OP was pretty dead on), as far as I know, for us (NPHC) our Alumni/ae and Undergraduate processes are either the same or similar. Each specific chapter is responsible for their own intake process, with the exception of an undergraduate chapter being chartered or reactivated. Undergrads will have their advisors to assist, as well.

After initiation, our experiences are pretty similar as well, with the exception that Undergraduates have to maintain grades and have expectations with their Student Life offices.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Just for clarity (or confirmation, the OP was pretty dead on), as far as I know, for us (NPHC) our Alumni/ae and Undergraduate processes are either the same or similar. Each specific chapter is responsible for their own intake process, with the exception of an undergraduate chapter being chartered or reactivated. Undergrads will have their advisors to assist, as well.

After initiation, our experiences are pretty similar as well, with the exception that Undergraduates have to maintain grades and have expectations with their Student Life offices.
Alpha is more or less the same, except that membership intake is a more centralized responsibility (area directors, district directors, etc).