GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,305
2 members and 1,303 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-10-2001, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem with "How's ABC?" posts

These questions to me seem as ignorant as asking "How are the blacks?" or "How are the asians on your campus?" There are thousands of chapters of dozens of nationals, so inevitably differences will exist.

But no one has a right to step on a soap box and scream ABC has no sisterhood and lets anyone in. If you are not part of ABC, what business do you have making that comment?

If you really want to know what an organization is like at another school, visit the national and or chapter's website. Otherwise, you are only getting one person's opinion of a chapter and how can that opinion be valid when they are not apart of that sisterhood or brotherhood.

I know people are entitled to their opinions, but blatently insulting or putting down someone else's bond is ignorant.

I think all greeks deserve a great deal of respect!

Just my 3 cents, and I am sorry if this post should go elsewhere and I didn't put it there.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:53 PM

alphachiohmy,

couldn't have said it better myself.

If you're in a GLO, and you want to know what your sisters at other schools are like, go to province and state days and meet your sisters from other chapters, or better yet, get together with them on your own. If you're a rushee, make your decisions during rush, not before.

plus...this is the internet. How do we know posters (especially the ones who drop in out of nowhere and only reply to these type threads) are saying anything that has ANY basis in fact?
Old 12-12-2001, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I definately agree with you. Talk about your own sorority, not other people's.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
blah blah blah...freaking blah blah blah....it's just like politics..some agree with one party, some with another party. In the end, some let it be known how they feel about the other. SO, there are some chapters of some organizations that might not be the greatest, that's just the way it is. BUT, why sugarcoat it? Why try to make ppl only talk about the good aspects of being greek? Being greek has downsides and I'll be the first to say that my org is far from perfect. ALSO, who really cares, if they don't like some chapter in omaha, while you live in L.A. SO..get over it, sticks and stones.

d
Old 12-12-2001, 08:26 PM

Saying "they're not one of the stronger houses on campus" is a lot more effective than saying "they're nasty looking dogs and I'd be ashamed to wear their letters". It is possible to tell the truth without being rude about it!
Old 12-12-2001, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I say let those threads die and lets move on.

Last edited by Miami1839; 12-12-2001 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
blah blah blah...freaking blah blah blah....it's just like politics..some agree with one party, some with another party. In the end, some let it be known how they feel about the other. SO, there are some chapters of some organizations that might not be the greatest, that's just the way it is. BUT, why sugarcoat it? Why try to make ppl only talk about the good aspects of being greek? Being greek has downsides and I'll be the first to say that my org is far from perfect. ALSO, who really cares, if they don't like some chapter in omaha, while you live in L.A. SO..get over it, sticks and stones.

d
I am over it, not that there was anything I really needed to get over. This thread was simply my opinion, and I am sorry if I posted it in the wrong spot. I respect everyone else's opinions, but wanted to say how I felt. If you dont want to read this thread, simply click away. It only takes a few seconds to get to another thread.

I say happy posting and clicking!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by alphachiohmy

I am over it, not that there was anything I really needed to get over. This thread was simply my opinion, and I am sorry if I posted it in the wrong spot. I respect everyone else's opinions, but wanted to say how I felt. If you dont want to read this thread, simply click away. It only takes a few seconds to get to another thread.

I say happy posting and clicking!
Never said I didn't want to read it....

Also, I was posting my opinion on your opinion....

d
Old 12-12-2001, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Damasa- when someone says something about your own chapter that, if you went to that school, you would know was completely untrue, thats when it sucks!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sundevil2000

Damasa- when someone says something about your own chapter that, if you went to that school, you would know was completely untrue, thats when it sucks!
see..now this I agree with, it does suck if it's untrue, but what if it is true? Then it's a simple fact of life that we all have to face, and no organization is perfect. Don't we wish? Indeed...indeed.

d
Old 12-13-2001, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with you AlphaChi. I am tired of seeing "how is XYZ"! There are many great sororities and fraternities. Every chapter will have something different and unique about it. When people post stuff like that, it makes it seem like their organization is more important than everyone else's.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa

Never said I didn't want to read it....

Also, I was posting my opinion on your opinion....

d
not a problem, sorry if i made it seem like one
Old 12-13-2001, 04:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Damasa- Okay, this is the last time I am going to reply to something like this but if you know that something is totally untrue about your own sorority and it is being badmouthed on here for all to see, and then other people write about how it is untrue, then it is obviously untrue, and should not have been said in the first place.
FOR EXAMPLE:
I was just a little bothered about this and when I went out with my Kappa Sig friends tonight we were talking about the topic and they agreed that most fraternities are interested in our house so obviously some posts are false!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sundevil2000
some posts are false!
some, not all, and I leave it at that.

d
Old 12-19-2001, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
all I can say is that looks are VERY decieving. What is perceieved is not neccessarily reality....in fact it usually isn't.
Maybe that's what is happening here on GC vs. ME?