GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,349
0 members and 1,349 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

1- We had lesbians and bisexual women in at least 2 of our three chapters at my school, including Kappa. Kappa as an organization does not discriminate on basis of sexual orientation, or this would not have happened. Several women I know of are still very involved as alumnae. However, every chapter is different in terms of personality and goals, so regardless of sexual orientation you may or may not fit in with them. It is a mutual selection process, which means that you must choose them AND they must choose you. That goes for all sororities and fraternities.

2- Yes, the south is a different ball game. Especially Texas. Read threads here about it. Just because it flew at my small private liberal arts school in the midwest does not mean that it'll go over at a SEC school.

3- You are an upperclassman & transfer, which makes you potentially less desirable at some schools and gives you next to no chance at others.

4- Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Yes, I love being a Kappa- but there are 25 other incredible NPC organizations, and fit is different at every school. I'm sure your school has many other NPC orgs as well as potentially locals and/or special interest groups. If you want to go through recruitment, give all of them a chance. Especially if recruitment is competitive and/or you already see yourself as having many potential roadblocks.

5- Good luck. You probably don't want to continue posting here, at least in this much detail. It's pretty easy to figure out who PNMs are, and you don't want anything you post online (like being uber-interested in one organization) to potentially count against you. If you do join an organization, I think we'd all love to hear about it and share in your excitement.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 05-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Queer is coming back into fashion in a "we're taking it back" sort of way, it pretty much means either an orientation or a gender expression that is non-heteronormative.
Good to know!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not sitting well with me. But okay.

Violetpretty, AXOrushadvisor, Drolefille, and many others have provided excellent advice on general sorority recruitment.
If you decide to go through recruitment, please do not wear a shirt that says “I’m Queer”.

That said, I am with AzTheta sitting in the bleachers except I am having a beer.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

TexasPNM13?

Oh. God. Please. Help. Give. Me. Strength. Trying. So. Hard. To. Be. Good.

In addition to the advice others have given you about having an open mind, you need to know that your use of a blue font while fawning over Kappas is inappropriate and offensive.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
TexasPNM13?
I'm not assuming UT, but there's a good possibility that's what she means.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops, did I just start a fire ..?

Wow, I honestly hadn't expected so many responses so soon.

Regarding the mutual selection process:
Learning more about recruitment at my school was definitely one of the first things I did, and I am acutely aware that the other sorority must choose me, too! I know that every chapter is different, but my thought process was that there must be a reason that a sorority girl can run into another sister she's never met and get along so well, yes? From my experience so far, it never hurts to do your research and aim just a little for what you want ... Being a Kappa is my dream right now, but if I end up finding a home somewhere else, I am completely fine with that. Though I do have my heart set on this sorority, I have definitely planned to go through recruitment with an open mind. If I've learned anything by coming out, it is to take stereotypes and opinions with a grain of salt!

Also, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get a definite yes/no answer to my question, but I hoped to gain a broader perspective about the idea of me joining a sorority ... and I definitely received some valuable insight. Thanks to all who replied!

@knight_shadow: I guess I have a thing or two to learn about protocol concerning colors. Thank you for letting me know, and I apologize if my poor attempt at a respectful gesture came off to you as presumptuous. Thank you for letting me know that HQ does not have jurisdiction over my membership. It was something I had wondered.

@violetpretty: Thank you for the heads up about sophomore standing. Yes, I am already preparing myself with the possibility of rejection. I've lost my share of relationships to coming out, so I am sure I could handle this if I had to. And come to think of it, yes I would still want to be Greek. Thank you for helping me realize that.

@AXOrushadvisor: Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! By 'make it' I meant both be able make it as a member and then continue to be an involved member while also staying true to myself.

@Drolefille: Thank you for your explanation of queer. What exactly should I be reading more about?

@LucyKKG: Yes, I wondered about how much personal information to disclose. I decided I didn't care, but maybe I should delete this thread in a couple of days (can I do that?).

@thetygerlily: Thank you for your practical advice and objectivity. I truly appreciate it. I hadn't thought about how I would look if I ended up feeling more comfortable at a different house. I guess I was being too ballsy ...

@xibair: I do have a Legalize Gay shirt and an HRC shirt, but I'd like to think I would have a litte more tact than to wear them to recruitment ha.

@LadyLonghorn: As I have said to knight_shadow, I honestly was trying to be extra-respectful and by no means intended to offend. Apologies.

Overall, thanks to most for your responses and your civility. I know that not everyone agrees with who I'm dating.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a ton of threads in this forum about recruitment, those are the ones you should look at to get a feel for why asking if you could be a KKG wouldn't be the best idea.
A more appropriate post might have been about going through recruitment in the south while queer identified and whether that could be a hindrance to you. Many of the other things have been addressed.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders even if you tended toward the impulsive right off the bat.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

@Drolefille: Yes, I am definitely a little impulsive ... I should probably work on that. I realize now that I probably shouldn't have been so rash with my post. I thought I was minimizing the viewing pool by posting here and that it would be more personal. Clearly, I was mistaken, ha.

If I've already ruined my chances of joining any sorority now, then my bad ...

I guess I should delete the thread soon for damage control purposes. It's hard, because I'm usually not one to censor myself or back away ...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, eff. I just realized that this shows up on the main board.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

For better or for worse, posting in a specific forum does not limit the audience- many people don't even notice when things are posted in a specific forum. On the bright side, although you did perhaps break GC etiquette by calling out a specific organization, you didn't post the same message in 5 different forums telling them all that you want to join them and only them Yes, it's been done... all too often. Sounds like you just didn't quite realize how what you had to say would come off.

You likely will not be able to delete the thread (not really how it works around here), but if you stick around you may want to keep things less org-specific. And if you do disappear, I for one would like to hear how things go if you do decide to go through recruitment. Take a look at the "Recruitment Stories" forum and you can check out many different types of experiences & endings, as well as some great advice.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPNM13 View Post
Wow, I honestly hadn't expected so many responses so soon.

Regarding the mutual selection process:
Learning more about recruitment at my school was definitely one of the first things I did, and I am acutely aware that the other sorority must choose me, too! I know that every chapter is different, but my thought process was that there must be a reason that a sorority girl can run into another sister she's never met and get along so well, yes? From my experience so far, it never hurts to do your research and aim just a little for what you want ... Being a Kappa is my dream right now, but if I end up finding a home somewhere else, I am completely fine with that. Though I do have my heart set on this sorority, I have definitely planned to go through recruitment with an open mind. If I've learned anything by coming out, it is to take stereotypes and opinions with a grain of salt!

Also, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get a definite yes/no answer to my question, but I hoped to gain a broader perspective about the idea of me joining a sorority ... and I definitely received some valuable insight. Thanks to all who replied!

@knight_shadow: I guess I have a thing or two to learn about protocol concerning colors. Thank you for letting me know, and I apologize if my poor attempt at a respectful gesture came off to you as presumptuous. Thank you for letting me know that HQ does not have jurisdiction over my membership. It was something I had wondered.

@violetpretty: Thank you for the heads up about sophomore standing. Yes, I am already preparing myself with the possibility of rejection. I've lost my share of relationships to coming out, so I am sure I could handle this if I had to. And come to think of it, yes I would still want to be Greek. Thank you for helping me realize that.

@AXOrushadvisor: Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! By 'make it' I meant both be able make it as a member and then continue to be an involved member while also staying true to myself.

@Drolefille: Thank you for your explanation of queer. What exactly should I be reading more about?

@LucyKKG: Yes, I wondered about how much personal information to disclose. I decided I didn't care, but maybe I should delete this thread in a couple of days (can I do that?).

@thetygerlily: Thank you for your practical advice and objectivity. I truly appreciate it. I hadn't thought about how I would look if I ended up feeling more comfortable at a different house. I guess I was being too ballsy ...

@xibair: I do have a Legalize Gay shirt and an HRC shirt, but I'd like to think I would have a litte more tact than to wear them to recruitment ha.

@LadyLonghorn: As I have said to knight_shadow, I honestly was trying to be extra-respectful and by no means intended to offend. Apologies.

Overall, thanks to most for your responses and your civility. I know that not everyone agrees with who I'm dating.
QFP

Here are just a few more words of advice. If you are going to be attending UT or any of the other major Greek schools in Texas, your chances of receiving a bid to a Kappa chapter are very very slim. That has nothing to do with your being a lesbian. These are extremely old and selective chapters with deep legacy traditions where the vast majority of new members are freshmen who are already well known by the women in the chapter. You seriously need to adjust your mindset before recruitment. I can't state this strongly enough.

Secondly, you need to think long and hard about how active sorority membership will affect your relationship. Sorority membership takes a very large amount of time, particularly in your first year. Aside from mandatory meetings, retreats, activities etc., there are also many mandatory social events. How is your GF going to feel being left out of these, particularly when you're off partying with a fraternity or you can't bring her to your formal? Or you're going away for the weekend with your sisters and a bunch of fraternity guys? Since she's already graduated, these things could be particularly vexing and seem very immature to her. These are the kinds of things that affect relationships between sorority members and their prior-to-joining GDI boyfriends. There are also live-in requirements for most houses. How will she feel about you living in a sorority house for a year or two?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
How is your GF going to feel being left out of these, particularly when you're off partying with a fraternity or you can't bring her to your formal?
Why would she not be able to bring her girlfriend to formal (assuming she gets a bid)?

Secondly, no one has brought this up yet, but as a transfer upperclassman, you'll need recs from alumnae. Recs are vital for freshmen and even more important for non-freshmen. If the deadlines have not already passed, register with the Alumnae Panhellenic closest to your home or find sorority women through your own network.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM

She has lots of other things (like the over-focus on Kappa and the upperclassman thing) that have kept people from getting a bid before we even touch on the queer issue. And yes, that word is in "take it back" mode.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Why would she not be able to bring her girlfriend to formal (assuming she gets a bid)?

Secondly, no one has brought this up yet, but as a transfer upperclassman, you'll need recs from alumnae. Recs are vital for freshmen and even more important for non-freshmen. If the deadlines have not already passed, register with the Alumnae Panhellenic closest to your home or find sorority women through your own network.
You really don't know how things work down here. Just leave it at that.

At least with the big Texas schools where recommendations are required NO MATTER WHAT A PNM'S CLASS STANDING she is already way behind if she hasn't made arrangements for them already.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

@LadyLonghorn: Those are definitely important things to think about. Thanks.