GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,405
0 members and 1,405 guests
No Members online

Old 11-15-2009, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Chicks? Chickens? Haha
That's why I had questions...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ladies!
So my youngest sister is starting college next year! yay! She is looking at Michigan State and Washington State University. I would love her to be a Kappa (she'd be a triple leg!) but I am also hoping she finds a sorority that is the right fit for her. I am wondering if yall know Kappa's ranking on these two campuses. I need an objective description. I know Kappa is an amazing organization everywhere, but on my campus we were top house and I prefer my sister stays within that trend. Please let me know any and all thoughts yall have on these Kappa Chapters and attach some pictures if possible! (Pictures are worth a thousand words... specifically if the Kappas are attractive and dynamic!) Thanks yall. Have a lovely night!
Love&Loyalty
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Yes, so mean indeed. Do you know why they went out of order, by chance? The only thing I can think of would be that A colonized earlier than B but B chartered first?
I'm not really sure why some of the single letters are out of order. I do know that in the early years, they would "reuse" chapter designations of chapters that had already closed. But in the 1890 (I think) convention, they voted to add a Beta to those chapters to designate they were the second chapter with that designation (and Gamma if they were the third). That's why Beta Zeta and Beta Tau are Beta chapters even though they were established before some single letter chapters.

And thus concludes today's Kappa history lesson!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I'm not really sure why some of the single letters are out of order. I do know that in the early years, they would "reuse" chapter designations of chapters that had already closed. But in the 1890 (I think) convention, they voted to add a Beta to those chapters to designate they were the second chapter with that designation (and Gamma if they were the third). That's why Beta Zeta and Beta Tau are Beta chapters even though they were established before some single letter chapters.

And thus concludes today's Kappa history lesson!
Oh how interesting! What a sneaky way to address it. I wonder if they made the change to preserve the history of the closed chapters, or with the foresight that they may someday be reopened? I would imagine they didn't think there'd to so many chapters in the future that we'd need so many double letter chapter names. There's so much in our history (and all GLOs really) that is interesting and just waiting to be discovered by the next generation! So much to learn...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just contacted the Key Source. There is a 2009 ornament of the Stewart House (the 2010 one will be of HQ). I ordered mine, and it should be shipped on Dec. 7. YAY!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the stocking stuffer idea of a Kappa ornament! I got the 2007 (the year she was initiated) and I'll start a collection for her. Pretty soon she'll graduate and have her own tree!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

What a thoughtful mom you are! I'll bet you could order a 2008 one as well so her collection starts when she was initiated and continues unbroken.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
What a thoughtful mom you are! I'll bet you could order a 2008 one as well so her collection starts when she was initiated and continues unbroken.

Great idea!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Miss DC USA is a Kappa!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I read that owls are the only bird that can see blue!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Hehe yeah, Kappa put that on Twitter, didn't they?

Oh man, I keep seeing SUPER cute owl ornaments that I want to buy. I've resisted the urge so far, but someday when I have my own tree, it'll be much harder.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Just contacted the Key Source. There is a 2009 ornament of the Stewart House (the 2010 one will be of HQ). I ordered mine, and it should be shipped on Dec. 7. YAY!

Thanks, again, for the idea! Bought the year my daughter was initiated and she loved it. Now I have at least one stocking stuffer idea for years to come!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Low C Sharp just posted this in the "Retro Pictures" thread, but in case you didn't see it... it's an article in a 1945 LIFE magazine about recruitment at University of Colorado. The PNM they follow ends up as a Kappa, so there are tons of cool retro pictures of Kappa's recruitment and Bid Day. Love it!

http://www.google.com/books?id=4UgEA...rority&f=false
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see how much has changed- recruitment & selection process, receiving bids, clothing, hairstyles... the DG skit about the evolution of a banana skit cracks me up, I'd love to see that one!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't post often, but I love that Life Magazine article so much I had to say thanks! I sent it straight to my daughter. We both love those pref dresses! But thank goodness girls don't have to open bids--or non-bids-- one at a time any more while everyone else looks on.