GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,788
0 members and 2,788 guests
No Members online

Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Ours enjoyed herself as well, but did notice that several girls were dead set on one particular house. That cannot end well. Open mind is the best strategy! I don’t envy the stress of the first week of school not knowing how things will end, it’s a little different than when I was there. It’s stressful knowing even legacy status means nothing these days. Maybe that’s for the best, they each find their own way.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Any insight from the more experienced members why they went back to 3 this year? You'd think I'd know from my DD but she's in the recruitment vortex ...

Last edited by lyrespearls; 01-04-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: didn't read thread properly!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Talked to my D tonight. Overall she said it was a good first round. She saw her friend who dropped last year and said she knows she is being invited back for the next round. She said the thing she found surprising is a number of girls who just didn't seem interested so she scored them low. For the PNM's going through, conversation skills are noticed and coming across as interested to be there was noticed. That was really the only insight my D gave about her experience being on the other side of the process this year other than GPA considerations.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Love hearing about how thing are going at IU! It has been a long time since those recruitment stories from last fall!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

All the girls going through Recruitment 2019 are blessed. Sunny and high of 55 today in B-town. Those of us remember the weather 2-3 years ago. Burrr!!!!!

Talked to my DD she is on the other side, said lots of wonderful girls. Herd that many did not qualify due to grades. Was told 1600 women. Only 2 for preference round. Can get up to 3. Reality is 1 or 2.

Good Luck to All PNM Mom's!! Keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCofSEC View Post
All the girls going through Recruitment 2019 are blessed. Sunny and high of 55 today in B-town. Those of us remember the weather 2-3 years ago. Burrr!!!!!

Talked to my DD she is on the other side, said lots of wonderful girls. Herd that many did not qualify due to grades. Was told 1600 women. Only 2 for preference round. Can get up to 3. Reality is 1 or 2.

Good Luck to All PNM Mom's!! Keep us posted.
You say "only 2 for pref" but they can "get up to 3". How does that work? Can you explain in more detail? Will they get 3 invites and have to select 2? Or could someone attend 3? Was there really a switch back to 3 preference parties or not?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

here we go round two!

I awoke to an early phone call from my D who sounded like she was crying. It took a second to realize she was happy/shocked crying to hear she got back a full slate of 16! She is humbled and was not expecting that at all. she lost two chapters she liked a lot from round one, and got the top 3 from her "bottom 6" list, and there are around 8 chapters she was very interested in from round one on there. really such a blessing that IU has such a vibrant greek life and so any wonderful houses to fall in love with.

So that's a lot to be happy about this morning. She didn't have her heart set on any one or two chapters, is not a legacy and is actively trying to keep her mind open, so hopefully this will help carry her forward with minimal disappointments. From reading other threads, I am aware that the cuts could be harsh after this round, so will work on preparing her for that when the weekend is over. trying to keep her in her happy bubble today.

She reported that though some girls were upset in her hall, she didn't witness any huge dramas or sobbing this morning so I think thats a positive. She had to hurry out anyways which is good--no time to sit and dwell.

For those with PNMs this year, I hope your kiddos are having a good attitude and feeling like they have options today going into round two.For parents of kids who are in the chapters putting on this show and doing the work, your kids are awesome and so energetic! amazed that they can sustain all that pep and friendliness during these long days.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Your daughter sounds like she has a great attitude! That will carry her through these next days. And the girls in house do work really hard to make such an impression on all the PNM's - they want the girls to love them and their house as much as the girls want to. It's all about numbers, fit and expectations! Hang in there, mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
here we go round two!

I awoke to an early phone call from my D who sounded like she was crying. It took a second to realize she was happy/shocked crying to hear she got back a full slate of 16! She is humbled and was not expecting that at all. she lost two chapters she liked a lot from round one, and got the top 3 from her "bottom 6" list, and there are around 8 chapters she was very interested in from round one on there. really such a blessing that IU has such a vibrant greek life and so any wonderful houses to fall in love with.

So that's a lot to be happy about this morning. She didn't have her heart set on any one or two chapters, is not a legacy and is actively trying to keep her mind open, so hopefully this will help carry her forward with minimal disappointments. From reading other threads, I am aware that the cuts could be harsh after this round, so will work on preparing her for that when the weekend is over. trying to keep her in her happy bubble today.

She reported that though some girls were upset in her hall, she didn't witness any huge dramas or sobbing this morning so I think thats a positive. She had to hurry out anyways which is good--no time to sit and dwell.

For those with PNMs this year, I hope your kiddos are having a good attitude and feeling like they have options today going into round two.For parents of kids who are in the chapters putting on this show and doing the work, your kids are awesome and so energetic! amazed that they can sustain all that pep and friendliness during these long days.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Watching this thread with bated breath and good wishes for PNMs and their mamas.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like these girls are doing this the right way - hoping they all find their place :-)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
You say "only 2 for pref" but they can "get up to 3". How does that work? Can you explain in more detail? Will they get 3 invites and have to select 2? Or could someone attend 3? Was there really a switch back to 3 preference parties or not?
Chapters were told that they were recruiting for at least three preferences parties, and possibly four depending on RFM numbers. I'm not sure what the PNMs have been told...

Also, can I just say how much I HATE philanthropy crafts? I have 1000+ stress balls with uplifting messages on them that I would like to throw at whomever came up with this idea...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Also, can I just say how much I HATE philanthropy crafts? I have 1000+ stress balls with uplifting messages on them that I would like to throw at whomever came up with this idea...
Oh my, where does one store 1000+ stress balls during recruitment?

I don't think a craft is the answer. I understand wanting the PNMs to do more than watch another video or listen to someone talk about a philanthropy, but some of the philanthropies don't really translate easily into a craft.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Nervous Mom

So I have a daughter going through IU rush for the first time as a sophomore. She has a 4.0, is involved on campus, and only got asked back to 9 chapters for second round. I know being a sophomore has its drawbacks, but I'm really, really surprised she didn't get asked back to more. She had a wide range of chapters she listed in her 16. I just feel horrible for her. She feels like there is a specific "look" that she doesn't have. Okay, I'm her mom, so I'm biased, but I think she's beautiful. She felt like the conversations went really well at the chapters she listed. She was really surprised by some of the ones that cut her. And now she's nervous for next weekend. She feels like if she gets attached to a chapter, they'll "just cut me" anyway. Ugh! I don't know how to even comfort her. And I can't really say don't worry, I'm sure you'll be asked back to XYZ next round, because, who knows! She could theoretically be cut from all of them. This is going to be such a long week of classes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Oh my, where does one store 1000+ stress balls during recruitment?

I don't think a craft is the answer. I understand wanting the PNMs to do more than watch another video or listen to someone talk about a philanthropy, but some of the philanthropies don't really translate easily into a craft.
or not a craft you can do in 20 minutes while having a meaningful conversation!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
So I have a daughter going through IU rush for the first time as a sophomore. She has a 4.0, is involved on campus, and only got asked back to 9 chapters for second round. I know being a sophomore has its drawbacks, but I'm really, really surprised she didn't get asked back to more. She had a wide range of chapters she listed in her 16. I just feel horrible for her. She feels like there is a specific "look" that she doesn't have. Okay, I'm her mom, so I'm biased, but I think she's beautiful. She felt like the conversations went really well at the chapters she listed. She was really surprised by some of the ones that cut her. And now she's nervous for next weekend. She feels like if she gets attached to a chapter, they'll "just cut me" anyway. Ugh! I don't know how to even comfort her. And I can't really say don't worry, I'm sure you'll be asked back to XYZ next round, because, who knows! She could theoretically be cut from all of them. This is going to be such a long week of classes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I am thankfully on the other side this year. It is hard being on the other side of the phone calls. I've had 2 girls go through IU rush now, 1 in 2012, 1 last year. Both were equally stressful. Last year a little more because the youngest was dropped right before pref by her legacy house. BUT she is happy where she landed. I do know my oldest daughters "baby/little" was a sophomore and they are still very close. She is 2nd year in Med school states away and 1 of the few sisters she keeps in contact with. There's nothing you can do but listen and try to keep her positive because honestly 9 isn't a bad number it's on the higher end of average. 16 or a full card is the exception not the norm. Sending positive vibes your way!!