GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,139
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zabyanusasdo530
» Online Users: 1,092
2 members and 1,090 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Calling on OTW

Hey Sandy... I was wondering about the locals at UH. Could you list the names!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 11-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Unregistered-

Here are a list of the locals that are on campus, have been on campus at one point, or are currently dormant:

Sororities
Gamma Chi Sigma (active)
Beta Beta Gamma (had been dormant for a few years, currently active)
Phi Sigma Rho (dormant)
Wakaba Kai Sorority (dormant)
Kappa Sigma Chi (unknown...they haven't been around for a long time)

Fraternities
Kappa Epsilon Theta (we called em the KEOs, the only group with a house, even though it was a piece of isht...they had a site, but the link's broken)
Phi Delta Sigma
Imiloa Fraternity

This Fall, only Gamma Chi Sigma, Beta Beta Gamma, and the KEOs held Fall Rush. With the locals, a rushee does not have to be an enrolled student at UH-M. They've accepted rushees from community colleges within the UH system before. The fraternities are kinda shady, sometimes I get the feeling that most of their members don't even GO to school.

Greek Life began at UH-Manoa about a decade after the college was established. The majority of them began as ethnic-interest groups, but later adopted Greek letters after WWII to include a bigger variety of students as enrollment at UH-M was on the rise.

Inter/national fraternities found its way to campus in the late 80s/early 90s with the arrival of Beta Theta Pi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and Sigma Phi Epsilon. TKE is still on campus, but I hear there are efforts to recolonize Beta and SigEp. Alpha Gamma Delta colonized in 1991, and chartered March 1992. Kappa Sigma is the newest fraternity on campus. Their successful colonization led to their chartering, and this happened just a few weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

What happened to Teh Chih Sheh (Chinese sorority) and Ke Anuenue (Hawaiian fraternity)? There was also an Alpha Beta Chi sorority that was cosmopolitan.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
What happened to Teh Chih Sheh (Chinese sorority) and Ke Anuenue (Hawaiian fraternity)? There was also an Alpha Beta Chi sorority that was cosmopolitan.
I think the Teh Chih Shehs became the Kappa Sigma Chi sorority. I can't remember when they had their last rush, but I'm thinking it was around the time (or maybe a year before) I was a freshman at UH.

To be honest, I've never heard of the Ke Anuenue Fraternity. Maybe they also took on Greek letters and became something else?

Alpha Beta Chi was a sorority back then? When I was in school, ABX was a professional general business fraternity.

We all took turns being in charge of cleaning up the Greek room, but the campus has never had a really structured system and the Greeks fell under the general "student organizations" umbrella. It'd be cool to get a complete history of the Greeks just for ishts and giggles. Maybe I'll shoot an email to Dr. Javinar!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Sandy...

I know that being Greek isn't a big deal on your campus. Does DS have a house? Has the campus thought of inviting another NPC group? How did AGD get invited?
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98
Thanks Sandy...

I know that being Greek isn't a big deal on your campus. Does DS have a house? Has the campus thought of inviting another NPC group? How did AGD get invited?
Delta Sigma does not have a house as the cost of living in Hawai`i is insanely high and the upkeep of a house would be next to impossible for the alums to maintain.

The Hawaii Alumnae Club was first established here in 1936. Since there is technically no NPC on campus, there was no NPC or UH invite. The hard work of our alums (who have lots of influence on the campus and in the community) led to the colonization in 1991.

To be honest, CAPS (the department that runs student orgs) does not get too involved with Delta Sigma. Aside from grade release forms, scheduling rooms for chapter use, and following their guidelines for student orgs (no hazing, etc.), we're pretty much independent from them and they have no say if another NPC wants to colonize.

If another NPC wants to colonize on campus, they'll need strong alumnae support. It took 55 years for the Hawaii alums to finally establish themselves on campus. My guesses is that there is interest out there with other NPCs...I mean, who DOESN'T want to brag that they have a Hawai`i chapter? But that's the down side too. If they don't have alums here to do the hard work, they often won't send in reinforcements because we're so isolated.

I'm sure hawaiiagd might know more about Delta Sigma's early days as she was a part of the first few initiated classes.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hard to believe that Wakaba Kai is dormant--they absolutely ruled the campus in the late seventies.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Hard to believe that Wakaba Kai is dormant--they absolutely ruled the campus in the late seventies.
The first time I rushed I really liked the girls in Wakaba Kai. I thought I was definitely at home when I met them, and my pledge class was awesome.

And then the hazing started...and it was simply not worth it.

I believe their last successful pledge class was in 1999, I think. They've had a few pledges here and there, but haven't held rush for the past two years. I guess their alums are too busy to bring the sorority back to life....

They'll be back, though. They always come back.