GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 861
2 members and 859 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Bloomsburg U: Assault Alleged (Tau Kappa Epsilon}

When brothers fight among themselves . . . article is from Aug. 17 '09 BloomUToday online:

http://www.bloomutoday.com/default.a...utoday&he=.com

Excerpt (the actual article has a considerably more detailed account of what allegedly happened):

According to charges filed by Bloomsburg Police two Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity brothers are facing charges after they allegedly assaulted another TKE fraternity member.

. . . Cleary
[the member alleging that he was assaulted] produced medical records and photographs of some of his injuries and told police that he suffered from a concussion and has to have surgery on his hand to repair it. Since the incident Cleary said that he was asked to move out of the fraternity. Cleary also said his "so called" fraternity brothers had conversations with him about not reporting the incident to police. Cleary's mother told police that she confronted Gentile and High and they admitted to assaulting her son.

Criminal charges were filed by Bloomsburg Police on August 10th. Andrew High age 20 of Roslyn, PA and Anthony Gentile age 25 of Wilkes-Barre, PA were both charged with simple assault, disorderly conduct, and harassment. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for September 15th.

Last edited by exlurker; 08-17-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

From reading the article, it sounds like a group of guys got too drunk and acted like a bunch of idiots, which led to a fight, which can happen even amongst friends.

It's not really clear from the article, but a contusion on the eye sounds like a black eye, maybe he got cut too, I don't know. Needing future surgery on his hand? Was he punching too, so hard that he broke a bone? Like I said, not clear, but he didn't file charges that night, or the next day when he got checked out because he felt dizzy.

Usually, this type of incident blows over, apologies are made, and it is laughed about later. In this case, Mom got involved and now charges are filed.

I'm a mom of 3 sons, and if I heard this story (and I've heard stories similar to this over the years, just not with hospitals - although stitches could have been in order once if it hadn't been on an eyebrow ), I would tell my son to work it out with his brothers, that if he hadn't gotten so pissed drunk, he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Maybe I'm just weird.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

No you are not weird. I agree. Drinking while dumbass is a common occurrence on college campuses. Hey it was even so back in my college days. I believe the President (Gentile) was walking the "victim" back home and trying to calm him down and the "victim" would not be calmed down. I would suspect the "victim" being intoxicated was taking things too seriously and lashed out at the nearest person. The brothers who embarrassed the "victim" should apologize to him in front of the whole Sorority and then they should all go have a beer or two together. That is if they are of age, of course.