GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,369
2 members and 2,367 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Alternative Punishments

Hello,

I am looking for alternative punishments for poor GPAs. We currently require you to be put on a very strict academic plan (which will not change) but also ban members from intramurals, fun homecoming events, and taking a little. I am interested in finding positive punishments (like additional community service) instead of taking these things away, particularly because one girl in question is a senior and this is her last chance to participate in these event, her circumstances this year are completely different than last year, when she had her only bad semesters, and in all other aspects, she is beyond an ideal chapter member.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 AM

Making community service a punishment defeats the whole purpose of doing community service - i.e. instilling a love for it in people. Plus giving them more to do cuts into study time.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

No. No no no no no. You do NOT punish members for poor GPAs. You HELP your members. What's the incentive to improve scholarship when you've taken all the membership positives away? Having a little, for example, can help the big; they can study together. I've seen that work well.

Instead, you structure an academic plan for the member that rewards improvements with privileges/participation in events/recognition etc. You have the member write her own "terms" or "plan". She knows what she needs to do to improve. Some members need to study in groups, others do best solo in a quiet location away from distractions.

Many members need support (e.g. tutoring, test taking strategies, etc) that can be offered through various campus centers. I don't know where you are so I can't be specific. And for the ones who are just not serious about improving, I'm sure you know what needs to be done.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Completely agree with 33Girl and AZTheta. I have another perspective on requiring additional non-academic "punishments." These women are struggling academically. Why are you going to put more stress on them by requiring that they turn away from their books to do busy work for you? Your job as Academic Chair is to help them succeed NOT to teach them a lesson. Focus on ways to help your sisters achieve better grades not on shaming them for not meeting your academic requirements.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by heragirl View Post
her circumstances this year are completely different than last year, when she had her only bad semesters
In addition to what the very wise women above have said, if there were extenuating circumstances, and those things are no longer in play, why do you need to "punish" her? I know some national groups have policies like no vote at chapter and you have to follow those guidelines, but if someone didn't make grades because a family member died or something, just let it go. Obviously you have to check with your alumnae advisers, but try to get everyone on the common sense train.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Seconding (thirding?) a lot of what's said here. There is nothing wrong with smaller consequences, especially as mandated by your National org but that's not enough. Academic success if a very personal thing and many people aren't aware of what they need to do different. They need to have ownership for their success. I'd suggest more along the lines of sitting down with them and evaluating their need for a plan. If it's a study issue, help them set goals and maybe identify resources on campus they need to utilize (writing centers, academic success, tutor). If it's a personal issue help them navigate that by referring to counseling and if it's confusion about major send them to their adviser. Too often it's treated as "you need to get off academic probation because the sorority said so" as opposed to "we need to help you figure out how you can maintain these standards because these will help you succeed in life"
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with all that has been said. If the poor grades weren't caused by something within the member's control, like partying too much, punishment of any kind is not the answer.
One thing you could suggest is reducing course load, changing majors, etc. Some people take on more academically than they can handle and need to understand that 12 hrs per semester with good grades beats 18 with bad ones. What passes for "advising" in most colleges these days isn't, and the chapter could fill that gap with some advice based on a deeper knowledge of the student's situation, aptitudes, etc.