GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,365
1 members and 1,364 guests
znathanhulzeo24
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My AI adventure

Hey everyone,

I've been working on getting information to become a PMN for AI...I feel like I've reached a wall. I've gotten replies from the National Headquarters saying they're going to pass my information on to the local Alumnae chapter however I haven't heard anything. It wasn't been that long so I'm going to sit for a bit longer before reaching out again. The part that frustrates me is I'm constantly being told I need a sponsor. Other than you gals I don't know anyone IRL that is Greek.

Patience is a virtue...I'm into this process for the long haul. I'm committed, even if this process is going to take days, weeks months or years.

I don't really have any questions, just wanted to post my thoughts.

Thanks for listening and any advice or pearls of wisdom you can throw my way is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Greek life may not happen for you if you don't have a sponsor.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM

If you don't know anyone in Greek life, why do you want membership in a Greek organization?

I fall into the category of people who think that AI should be pursued by the organization. I am not at all in favor of sorority shopping, which is what it sounds like you are doing. An important part of the sorority bond is the common collegiate experience. In my opinion, AI should be rare, and reserved for women who, despite the lack of common collegiate experience, will acclimate well into the organization. It is not, however, a second bite at the collegiate apple. That ship has sailed, and the alumnae experience is very different, which makes me wonder why you would want to AI if you don't know any sorority alumnae.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Given that information, you might considering putting AI on the back burner and lending your talents to other community pursuits. I don't see this ending happily for you if you don't know any Greeks in real life and/or there is not a collegiate chapter near you in desperate need of assistance because there are so few alumnae in the area to serve as advisers. AI among NPC sororities is very rare.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The very few instances of AI I know of (across many GLOs, not just my own) all have had one common factor: the AI was someone who was very well known by the GLO, had done many years of service for the GLO in some capacity (e.g. worked with the philanthropy, supported a collegiate chapter, etc), and had other ties to the GLO. And in every case, the GLO pursued the AI, not the other way around.

Just wanting it (for whatever reasons) is not sufficient. victoria, IMO you may be far better off investigating other community organizations which offer membership and service opportunities.

You asked, so there's my advice.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alum of a small local sorority. After I graduated and had been working for a few years, I found myself wishing I had the resources of an organized alum chapter and a larger network that the national sororities have. I found much of what I was looking for in the Junior League. I would highly recommend this organization to someone who is looking for some of the things you mentioned.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been a lurker for a few years and I just wanted to say something. I'm an AI. While I do agree that it is not for everyone, I do not agree with how advice is given to people. No it isn't for people who never got the college experience and just want to relive college. No it isn't for people who just want letters. I also do not like people sorority shopping. However to say that it is a rare process and doesn't ever happen simply isn't true.

I am a legacy and my mother invited me to join as something special to share with her. Typically AI's do fit into five categories

1. Pledged but didn't initiate
2. Years of service to said GLO or philanthropy and AI is a gift for service
3. local sorority that was absorbed.
4. Legacy
5. Friend in XYZ invited you to join.

Ok so just because somebody doesn't fit into one of the above categories does not mean that AI is impossible and should not be pursued. Each AI story is different. People have different reasons for joining. Each case is not the same. You can't say that AI never happens and that only the GLO pursues it and not the PNAM. That simply isn't true. Each sorority has their own policy. Some AI pretty frequently. Some have certain rules for it. Some don't at all. If you look back at this forum there are tons of success stories. Each woman had a different reason and way she joined.

If somebody truly has something great to bring to a sorority then why not? Do I think sororities have the right to be selective? Absolutely. Just as they are in the college setting.

Give people a chance. There have been many great AI's serving each NPC. Don't beat it down.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose26 View Post
I have been a lurker for a few years and I just wanted to say something. I'm an AI. While I do agree that it is not for everyone, I do not agree with how advice is given to people. No it isn't for people who never got the college experience and just want to relive college. No it isn't for people who just want letters. I also do not like people sorority shopping. However to say that it is a rare process and doesn't ever happen simply isn't true.

I am a legacy and my mother invited me to join as something special to share with her. Typically AI's do fit into five categories

1. Pledged but didn't initiate
2. Years of service to said GLO or philanthropy and AI is a gift for service
3. local sorority that was absorbed.
4. Legacy
5. Friend in XYZ invited you to join.

Ok so just because somebody doesn't fit into one of the above categories does not mean that AI is impossible and should not be pursued. Each AI story is different. People have different reasons for joining. Each case is not the same. You can't say that AI never happens and that only the GLO pursues it and not the PNAM. That simply isn't true. Each sorority has their own policy. Some AI pretty frequently. Some have certain rules for it. Some don't at all. If you look back at this forum there are tons of success stories. Each woman had a different reason and way she joined.

If somebody truly has something great to bring to a sorority then why not? Do I think sororities have the right to be selective? Absolutely. Just as they are in the college setting.

Give people a chance. There have been many great AI's serving each NPC. Don't beat it down.
So...you know that the OP doesn't fit into one of the AI categories, yet you are encouraging her to continue pursuing it? Please tell us what you suggest she do next.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just speaking about AI in general. I have seen so many people post about AI and they are constantly told that they shouldn't even try and that it is impossible. Greek life is a great thing. People join in different ways. And that's ok. In other posts on this forum women used to post stories about their AI journey and other posters were encouraging and excited to learn where the OP ended up. What happened to that? Even though somebody doesn't fit into one of the 5 categories doesn't mean they shouldn't even try. Some of those stories are women who had no connections.

Is it possible that the OP might not be successful? Sure. But she can at least try. If she wants to pursue it then it can't hurt her to try. Maybe she should look into the Junior League, Beta Sigma Phi etc. But telling her to give up isn't the answer. I would suggest just focus on 1 sorority. That perhaps she relates to the philanthropy or maybe the values align with hers. Contact HQ or the local group and go from there. I had a friend who did that and Nationals put her in touch with her local group. She had no prior connections. It wasn't impossible for her. Is that going to be the case for everybody? No. She was lucky. It may not work out for everybody but it isn't impossible. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have seen so many people post about AI and they are constantly told that they shouldn't even try and that it is impossible....
No one has said it's impossible.

Quote:
Is it possible that the OP might not be successful? Sure. But she can at least try. ...It may not work out for everybody but it isn't impossible. That's the point I'm trying to make.
I don't see how your point is different from what others have expressed here. There are difficulties the OP faces - difficulties that might prevent her from being successful in her pursuit. But no one here has said she shouldn't try or that AI is impossible. They're painting an accurate picture of what she's up against instead of blowing sugar-coated sunshine the OP's way. She has a right to know that, because of her circumstances, her chances might not be that great.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quite frankly - and obviously I am speaking about my org as well as others - I just don't get the "initiating women to be advisors" deal. Advisors by definition are people with greater knowledge than their advisees, and I don't see how a woman who was just initiated 2.5 seconds ago can be that. I think in this day and age, with email, texting and Skype, the concept that the advisors need to be THERE is ridiculous. Perhaps it's time for the organizations to catch up with technology, or to think outside the box.

And if this is happening - not in Hawaii (for anyone but AGD LOL) but in an area where there are AMPLE alumnae to serve in advisory roles - then the organization needs to address the real problem. Why aren't the alumnae who already exist stepping up? You need to fix that before you bring more women into the organization.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite frankly - and obviously I am speaking about my org as well as others - I just don't get the "initiating women to be advisors" deal. Advisors by definition are people with greater knowledge than their advisees, and I don't see how a woman who was just initiated 2.5 seconds ago can be that. I think in this day and age, with email, texting and Skype, the concept that the advisors need to be THERE is ridiculous. Perhaps it's time for the organizations to catch up with technology, or to think outside the box.

And if this is happening - not in Hawaii (for anyone but AGD LOL) but in an area where there are AMPLE alumnae to serve in advisory roles - then the organization needs to address the real problem. Why aren't the alumnae who already exist stepping up? You need to fix that before you bring more women into the organization.
I want to preface this by saying that I completely agree with you. However, there are some advisory roles for which I think a certain level of real world experience would be just as, if not more so, valid to qualify a person to advise a chapter. The prime example that comes to mind would be risk management. Someone with a working knowledge of legal and insurance concepts but no sorority experience might serve a chapter better than say a journalist who was a collegiate member.

That being said, I shudder to consider an AI being recruitment advisor.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I agree to some extent and my last Chapter Advisor at one of our chapters up there was doing it from downstate, via Skype. She did go to that school, had family in the area and had to travel to the area for work a few times a year. That helped a lot. There are requirements though, especially with finance, that are tough to meet that way. To be bonded, we are supposed to have two signatures- one alumna, one collegian- on every check written. That is very difficult to do with only remote advisors. The person has to be willing to go that area at least once in a while.

There's also just a different vibe when they are advising by Skype. When I was a Chapter Advisor, I lived nearby and could drop in on events all the time. There was value in that. There was value in hanging out at the house office for "office hours" one night a week. Women would wander down just to chat about all kinds of things. I was able to pick up on themes and vibes that I wouldn't have been able to detect from a once a week phone call with the President or a once a month executive council meeting. There is value in being able to form a relationship, see people face to face, etc. I could see leadership qualities in certain young women and encourage them to reach for higher offices. I was better able to figure out what the chapter needs were.

We can give anybody the knowledge of how things should work. Having someone nearby to coach and mentor them on a more continuous basis has value. A woman who works at the University or owns a local business can serve as a mentor whether she had a sorority collegiate experience or not. Anybody can open a handbook and read the way things should be done. Advisors provide more than knowledge.. they provide continuity over many years and maturity to crisis situations. And, if you can find a combination of women who have experience with your organization to serve remotely and a few newer women who can be there locally, you can groom those local women to take over with time.

If we want to get past the "four years and out" mentality, I think we need to focus more alumnae membership. This is an area where the NPHC orgs are way ahead of us.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post

If we want to get past the "four years and out" mentality, I think we need to focus more alumnae membership. This is an area where the NPHC orgs are way ahead of us.
^^^
Yeah, this!
*nods emphatically*
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that Gamma Phi has a pretty welcoming policy toward AI, and our alumnae chapters even get "extra points" for sponsoring an AI. Our AC has initiated two AIs in recent years...both worked for the college where we had a new chapter. One got to know our resident CLC during colonization, and the other was a very close friend of an active alum. Both women attended schools without Greek systems, and both women jumped right into advisory positions with the chapter. In both situations, the AC approached the potential member. Sponsoring an AI is very involved, and I wouldn't be eager to do it for a stranger.