GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,904
0 members and 2,904 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
So...chapters can only exceed quota if they are under total...but, they can exceed total by pledging to quota?
The simple answer is yes. However.. now there are quota additions too. On some campuses, if a young woman has maximized her options (accepted all possible invites and included all chapters possible on her preference card) and appears on someone's bid list but is going to be unmatched because the groups fill quota before they get to her, they allow some quota additions. So, you will see, as recruitment results come out, some will report that they got quota +2 or quota +3. The woman who is a quota addition will not know that she is one. The new member class as a whole will realize that some of them are quota additions, but nobody will know who except those involved in bid matching.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It is the number of new members that each chapter is allowed to take which is based on the number who are going through recruitment. Each campus decides how they are going to set quota. It used to be common to take the number of PNMs who signed up for recruitment and divide by the number of chapters. That didn't end up being very fair though because some of those women would drop out. Quota is generally set further down the process now and sometimes is based on how many signed bid cards. So, if there were a 200 PNMs who signed bid cards and 10 sororities, quota would be 10. Each chapter could take 20 PNMs.

However, there is another number, called Total, which complicates things. Total is a maximum chapter size, essentially, that is set by the College Panhellenic. If Total is 100 and a chapter reaches or exceeds that number when they take Quota, then they are done recruiting! However, if they are below Total, they can do Continuous Open Recruitment (COR) until they reach Total. Chapters can exceed Total by taking Quota, but then they can't take any more women.

The system is designed to try to keep the sororities about the same size with the philosophy that if all the chapters are strong, then the Panhellenic system is strong. If two chapters had 200 members, 5 had around 100 and the other 3 had 50 or so, things wouldn't be equitable. Despite these heroic attempts to keep chapters around the same size, some chapters still struggle with numbers though.

Is the information about quotas and size of each chapter available anywhere online?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazd View Post
Just curious if anyone knows! I'm pretty sure that Ole Miss gets the award for the largest quota at 90.

I believe last year University of Southern Calif had all 9 chapters pledging quota of about 60, and SDSU all 7 pledging quota of 68ish. I'll take a stab that Cal State Long Beach may also have had all 7 pledging quota of 43 or so?

(my numbers may not be entirely accurate. feel free to correct me if you know more!)

Love to see College Panhellenics get recognized for truly outstanding recruitment efforts!
Long Beach's chapters did not all pledge quota last year.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
Is the information about quotas and size of each chapter available anywhere online?
If the campus has a Greek rating system with ratings posted online, it sometimes lists the number of members in each chapter.

Since quotas change from year to year (and since the fraternities don't use them) those aren't included in that sort of site, although if Greek life is a huge presence at the school there might be listings in the school paper as to who made quota.

Plus, you can always look on GC.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
It depends on the school. Some of them post grade information in a report that includes how many members are in each chapter. Sometimes you can get an idea if they have composites posted on the chapter websites (composites, in case you're not familiar with them, are like a class picture from elementary school.. an individual portrait of each member arranged into one large composite), although that doesn't clue you in as to how many were seniors the year before and have graduated. Hard firm numbers are rarely posted online. Some schools, Auburn I know for sure, posts the whole list of new members and which chapter they joined. I get an annual membership report because I still volunteer for Alpha Gam so I know Total and last year's quota for the schools with Alpha Gam chapters. UGA's Total is 170 and Quota was 55 last year, per that report for the last academic year. Quota changes from year to year (Total can too, technically) since it's based on the number of PNMs at a given point during recruitment.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
MegLan just reported that all of the sororities at Oklahoma State --11 -- just made quota (46). Bid Day was today (Saturday, Aug 11). Don't know who had quota additions, etc. so don't know the final numbers,.
I haven't seen final number either, and that would be very surprising (but great!) if it is true.