GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,198
2 members and 2,196 guests
oncegreek, Xidelt

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Homosexuality - Do you consider this a disease, disorder, or condition?
Certainly *not* a disease, *perhaps* a disorder only in some technical medical definition that covers considerably more than the average layman would expect and I have no idea what a condition would cover.

And only "treatable" in ways that rip gigantic bleeding gashes in the psyche and the soul.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Too many posts to quote, but maybe the problem is that nowadays the word autism simply covers too much. I'm in my 40s and have always heard of people being autistic, but for the majority of my life it was only applied to those in the lower functioning end of the spectrum. Until it's ascertained how it occurs, perhaps it would be beneficial to have more names for gradations of the spectrum (like Asperger's).
Autism today *certainly* covers a wider range of neurodiversity. What's still unclear to me is that is whether the percentage of those who are autistic still increases if viewed with a constant definition of who is autistic.

High Functioning and Low Functioning are used in diagnoses, but again, trying to draw a bright line between them is difficult.

Last edited by naraht; 04-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Are you sincerely correlating homosexuality with autism?
Huh? Where did I indicate that there is any correlation between homosexuality and autism? I have seen *no* studies indicating that someone who is at either end of the Kinsey scale is more or less likely to be at any level on the Autism spectrum.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Huh? Where did I indicate that there is any correlation between homosexuality and autism? I have seen *no* studies indicating that someone who is at either end of the Kinsey scale is more or less likely to be at any level on the Autism spectrum.
I guess I don't understand why you're bringing homosexuality into the discussion of autism, period. The Kinsey scale goes from homosexual to heterosexual. The autism spectrum goes from mildly autistic to severely autistic. Are you comparing homosexuals to severely autistic individuals? Mildly autistic ones? What the hell, dude?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM

No no no no no. Don't get it twisted. He's just talking about those two things as two things whose causation can maybe be found on genes. Call them boodle and moodle, if it will raise fewer moral hackles.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure he brings up homosexuality because there has been discussion in scientific communities of finding a genetic test for homosexuality. I'm sure there are families out there that would have a hard time wrestling with their anti-abortion views would they find out their fetus was positive for a hypothetical homosexuality gene.

There was a recent study by the way demonstrating abnormalities in fetal brain development in patients with autism that were donated to science after death. The brains were compared to normal specimen, and researchers noted a jumbled appearance of the normal layers of the cortex in varying areas of the brain. This would explain the variable symptoms and severity in the spectrum.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014...ntent=03032014

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Certainly *not* a disease, *perhaps* a disorder only in some technical medical definition that covers considerably more than the average layman would expect and I have no idea what a condition would cover.

And only "treatable" in ways that rip gigantic bleeding gashes in the psyche and the soul.
Really? Interesting.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm sure he brings up homosexuality because there has been discussion in scientific communities of finding a genetic test for homosexuality. I'm sure there are families out there that would have a hard time wrestling with their anti-abortion views would they find out their fetus was positive for a hypothetical homosexuality gene.
We know the history and present day significance of social, psychological, and medical views and studies of homosexuality.

Naraht should have clarified if he, himself, is placing homosexuality in the spectrum of diseases, disorders, or conditions. That is what I was asking him to clarify and his response implies he, himself, is either being sarcastic or places homosexuality in the realm of "disorders". If he was making a general statement it is easy to clarify a general statement by stating that your post was based on centuries of world views on homosexuality as deviant, criminal, and socially, psychologically, mentally, and medically problematic.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe one of the doctors on here and help me with this one but, I read a study that Autism could be linked to the mother being obese when she gives birth. Is this true? I know very little about it other than the diagnosis (DSM-IV and DSM V) but, I was wondering what types of things apparently caused it? Is it genetic? Can it be caused based on health-related concerns of the mother or father? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ I only have anecdotal evidence, but I do know several moms with children that go the gamut on the spectrum from high functioning to low functioning. Not a single one was even a little overweight. Two of them have verged on being freakishly, awesomely fit. But again, that's just anecdotal.

If I misunderstood naraht, I sincerely apologize, but if he is calling homosexuality a disease, then I'm going back to what the hell, dude.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen anything about maternal obesity being linked, but meta-anyalysis can link anything.

As for naraht, I hope he was just being inarticulate.

ETA: http://www2.cfpc.ca/local/user/files....2011-2583.pdf

Found this study which does show and increased risk for obese mothers to have a child with developmental disorders. The questions remains, why?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 04-05-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I haven't seen anything about maternal obesity being linked, but meta-anyalysis can link anything.

As for naraht, I hope he was just being inarticulate.

ETA: http://www2.cfpc.ca/local/user/files....2011-2583.pdf

Found this study which does show and increased risk for obese mothers to have a child with developmental disorders. The questions remains, why?
Okay, thanks. I knew I read it somewhere. That would be a great research study for someone who is interested in developmental disorders.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I guess I don't understand why you're bringing homosexuality into the discussion of autism, period. The Kinsey scale goes from homosexual to heterosexual. The autism spectrum goes from mildly autistic to severely autistic. Are you comparing homosexuals to severely autistic individuals? Mildly autistic ones? What the hell, dude?
No. I'm comparing two situations where the genetic component is *far* too complex for it to make rational sense to think about a prenatal test and yet there are those of which I am *definitely not* a supporter where they talk about a "cure" as being able to do a prenatal test in order to do an abortion.

Please point out *any* posting I've made in this thread or any other which is opposed to anyone in any position on the Kinsey scale. Note, I do oppose the use of the Kinsey scale as I think using a single dimensional measure for sexuality is considerably to simplistic.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

So you are speaking in general and used homosexuality only because there are people (not you) who consider homosexuality a possibly detectable and preventable disease or disorder. You were drawing a comparison and homosexuality is the "disorder" that you found relevant for this discussion based on the debate over whether this is merely about "difference" (instead of disease and disorder) and whether anything should be done to attempt to reduce the likelihood of particular "differences".

I hope I cleared that up for you.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
We know the history and present day significance of social, psychological, and medical views and studies of homosexuality.

Naraht should have clarified if he, himself, is placing homosexuality in the spectrum of diseases, disorders, or conditions. That is what I was asking him to clarify and his response implies he, himself, is either being sarcastic or places homosexuality in the realm of "disorders". If he was making a general statement it is easy to clarify a general statement by stating that your post was based on centuries of world views on homosexuality as deviant, criminal, and socially, psychologically, mentally, and medically problematic.
There are people out there that want Homosexuality (or anywhere other than Heterosexuality) diagnosed prenatally by finding a gay gene to as part of a Cure for Homosexuality, despite both the considerably research that it is not a single gene and the fact that many people (including myself) find that sort of effort to Cure it repugnant.

There are people out there that want Autism (or anywhere other than Neurotypicality) diagnosed prenatally by finding a autism gene to as part of a Cure for Autism, despite both the considerably research that it is not a single gene and the fact that some people (including myself) find that sort of effort to Cure it repugnant. (and I'd like to see some become many!)

Does *that* clear it up?

Last edited by naraht; 04-05-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: remove first statement