GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,424
2 members and 2,422 guests
Cookiez17, zmasnyandext391

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you are avoiding the states and not ZTA. : )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks DubaiSis--I love Greek trivia. Didn't someone do a few maps a while back showing where a NPC was located (visually)?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there's a DG one out there to show the chapter houses. I can't imagine the work!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

I thought it was also interesting to see the concentration of some sororities. The sororities represented in the most states or provinces (including DC) are

DG in 46
Theta, Kappa and Pi Phi in 45
Alpha Phi in 44
Chi Omega in 43
AGD in 41
AXiD, AOPi, AChiO and DZ in 40
ADPi,Tri Delta and KD in 38
Gamma Phi in 37
Sigma Kappa and ZTA in 36
ASA in 31
Tri Sigma in 29
Phi Mu in 27
AST in 26
Phi Sig in 24
DPhiE in 23
AEPhi in 22
SDT in 18
Theta Phi in 16

I also looked at which sororities are the largest regionally. These sororities have an average of 4 chapters or more per state or province:
Gamma Phi (4)
DZ (4)
ZTA (4.7)
KD (4.1)
Phi Mu (4.4)
Phi Sig (4.5)
Chi O (4.14)

And just to be clear, this is not stating anything approaching which sorority is best or even the largest. This only says how many currently active chapters a sorority has.

eta/feel free to post corrections. Thanks Just interested! But I won't add new additions. I'm not Irishpipes!
Do these numbers include Canada? Also, AGD re-colonized 3 chapters this fall!

ΑΓΔ
Old 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Clemsongirl made the maps. I liked them also. And, thanks, Dubais Sis for tackling the roster.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes it includes Canada and it should include any that were colonized this year. It doesn't include any that haven't been turned black from grey on Irishpipes NPC 2013/14 list. Next on the agenda (I mean after groceries, etc. today that I've been dragging my feet on) is comparing this list to the last one that was posted a couple years ago. If anyone can jump in and find it, I think many of us would find it interesting.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
At Clemson BYX is a social fraternity that operates just like all others social fraternities in conducting rush, having pledges and parties, etc. They just have more strict Christian tenets that need to be followed, i.e. no drinking unless you're of age, belief in the word of the lord, etc. They're more religious (see several chapters getting sued for expelling gay members) than other chapters founded on religious values, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Naraht beat me to it.
Ditto for the BYX chapter at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. My family has relatives and friends who are active brothers on that campus. While walking out their faith and keeping a strong faith-supportive environment are primary with BYX (aka Bucks) brothers, they are very much a real and social fraternity. They're actually one of the largest at UTK -- currently have over 100 actives and a huge house in the heart of Fraternity Park. They rush right alongside of IFC, and those who receive and accept bids, have a 10 week pledgeship. They're completely immersed in Greek Life and have done great on that campus. They took first place in Delta Gamma's Anchor Splash a couple of months ago and won several awards with whichever NPC sorority they did Homecoming with. Intramurals, formals, date nights and NPC mixers are all the norm. (I heard from a relative that several NPC sorority presidents have told the BYX social chair that more women sign up for BYX mixers than with any other fraternities -- the main reason cited by all is that the pressure to drink is off.)They have large turn outs to their events, both the social and the faith focused. Their Island Party last spring (a concert preceded by a week of sorority competitions) drew over 600 students. Likewise, their monthly All-Greek Praise and Worship services keep growing, now with over 200 IFC and NPC Greeks attending. The house can't hold them all and they spill out into the courtyard.

At least as far as the UTK chapter goes, brothers can hold NIC fraternity membership, BUT their status has to be inactive if they want to be active with BYX. They can't be active with both. Nationally, BYX is very focused on expansion, but my current understanding is that there are no plans at the moment to join NIC. On another note, and I know it's been discussed at GC, but Kappa Sig, Phi Delt and Phi Sig all left NIC in 2002 (though Phi Sig has since returned.) We have several Sig Ep alums in the family and one of them "heard" Sig Ep was considering breaking away. He hasn't seen anything from nationals to support that, though. I've no idea if it's true, and if it is, what kind of impact it would have. Kappa Sig has been breaking recruitment records ever since they left, so being non-NIC doesn't appear to be hurting them.

Well, back to the thread topic. Since BYX was brought up, I just wanted to throw in my support for them because, from what I've seen, they're a great fit for some men. With BYX nationals calling this year's growth " exponential," record pledge numbers being broken this fall and expansion plans for four new chapters annually, these Bucks boys are moving along and doing something right.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

as of right now....Sigma is at 106, not 113.....I just did an accounting on Friday....

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 12-23-2013, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Ditto for the BYX chapter at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. My family has relatives and friends who are active brothers on that campus. While walking out their faith and keeping a strong faith-supportive environment are primary with BYX (aka Bucks) brothers, they are very much a real and social fraternity. They're actually one of the largest at UTK -- currently have over 100 actives and a huge house in the heart of Fraternity Park. They rush right alongside of IFC, and those who receive and accept bids, have a 10 week pledgeship. They're completely immersed in Greek Life and have done great on that campus. They took first place in Delta Gamma's Anchor Splash a couple of months ago and won several awards with whichever NPC sorority they did Homecoming with. Intramurals, formals, date nights and NPC mixers are all the norm. (I heard from a relative that several NPC sorority presidents have told the BYX social chair that more women sign up for BYX mixers than with any other fraternities -- the main reason cited by all is that the pressure to drink is off.)They have large turn outs to their events, both the social and the faith focused. Their Island Party last spring (a concert preceded by a week of sorority competitions) drew over 600 students. Likewise, their monthly All-Greek Praise and Worship services keep growing, now with over 200 IFC and NPC Greeks attending. The house can't hold them all and they spill out into the courtyard.

At least as far as the UTK chapter goes, brothers can hold NIC fraternity membership, BUT their status has to be inactive if they want to be active with BYX. They can't be active with both. Nationally, BYX is very focused on expansion, but my current understanding is that there are no plans at the moment to join NIC. On another note, and I know it's been discussed at GC, but Kappa Sig, Phi Delt and Phi Sig all left NIC in 2002 (though Phi Sig has since returned.) We have several Sig Ep alums in the family and one of them "heard" Sig Ep was considering breaking away. He hasn't seen anything from nationals to support that, though. I've no idea if it's true, and if it is, what kind of impact it would have. Kappa Sig has been breaking recruitment records ever since they left, so being non-NIC doesn't appear to be hurting them.

Well, back to the thread topic. Since BYX was brought up, I just wanted to throw in my support for them because, from what I've seen, they're a great fit for some men. With BYX nationals calling this year's growth " exponential," record pledge numbers being broken this fall and expansion plans for four new chapters annually, these Bucks boys are moving along and doing something right.
As long as Beta Upsilon Chi allows duel membership (i.e. in BYX and in a "general" social GLO) they are not be eligible to join the NIC. However, a BYX chapter may join a campus’ IFC if that campus allows it. This seems to be the case at Tennessee.

For what it is worth, there have been “informal” discussions within the NIC regarding the possibility of grand-fathering organizations that allow duel membership. The GLO wanting to join the NIC would have to move to single membership, but the NIC would not require the individuals to renounce one of their memberships. In other words, if you were a member of both BYX and a current NIC organization, the NIC would allow the individual to continue to be a member of both. However, one or both organizations might require a member to “drop” membership in the other to remain a member. That membership issue would be up to the organizations.

There is a historical president for this. For example, Delta Chi initially was a “professional fraternity” for law students and some members also held membership in “general" / "social” fraternities as well. Delta Chi moved to single membership in the early 1900s which allowed them to become a member of the NIC. My understanding (I’m not sure on this, so perhaps a Delta Chi might be able to confirm) is that the members of Delta Chi who held duel membership prior to Delta Chi moving to single membership were allowed to “keep” both memberships.

Now the other side of the current duel membership discussion is that the NIC should require the individual with duel memberships to resign from one of the organizations. I suspect that could be a deal breaker for some GLOs that might consider joining the NIC.

As for Sigma Phi Epsilon leaving the NIC, I haven’t heard any specific talk about them doing so. (Doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.) But what is interesting is that since the NIC’s founding, many members have left and then rejoined later. And it seems like one or more NIC member is considering doing so at any given time.

I have heard that since Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta left the NIC, there have been “unofficial” discussions regarding one or both rejoining the NIC. As such, and given the history of GLOs leaving and rejoining, it wouldn’t surprise me if either fraternity returned -- or if one or both elected to continue to remain independent of the NIC (for the time being).

As for Kappa Sigma’s recruitment success, that really is not due to them leaving the NIC as the NIC does not have quotas or chapter totals. Kappa Sigma seems to simply be doing well with their process. And they have been opening more chapters in recent years as well. That has also contributed to an increase in their numbers.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sorry, but this is a no spoonfeeding zone. Read over the expansion threads and think about it.
Reading official individual NPC Sorority (Inter-)national websites may assist thinking, too.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
I think Clemsongirl made the maps. I liked them also. And, thanks, Dubais Sis for tackling the roster.
I have a bunch made up on my computer that I haven't posted yet(there's motivation to do them now!) but I don't think I had the original idea. Unfortunately I do not remember to whom I should give credit. I will post the maps I do have in a bit.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Map time! Some notes:
The maps are all different sizes, and I apologize for this. Any year that's left out on a map means the organization had no expansion that year. All my info comes from the expansion lists that LaneSig runs since 2008, which was the first year I found them on here. I've been doing the 26 groups in random order and I'll add more as there posted. I think everything is accurate but make no guarantees. Call your doctor if you experience a map lasting more than four hours, not available in North Dakota, etc etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't know what everyone was referring to in regard to the maps that were made, but these are awesome

I think we might need a separate maps thread......

@~/~~~~
Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Map time! Some notes:
The maps are all different sizes, and I apologize for this. Any year that's left out on a map means the organization had no expansion that year. All my info comes from the expansion lists that LaneSig runs since 2008, which was the first year I found them on here. I've been doing the 26 groups in random order and I'll add more as there posted. I think everything is accurate but make no guarantees. Call your doctor if you experience a map lasting more than four hours, not available in North Dakota, etc etc.

Damn. I love you, Clemsongirl! You rock my world.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

:blushes: Thanks, y'all! Here's the KD map while I'm at it: