GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,564
0 members and 2,564 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

When Delta Zeta was a local

Now I don't have my notebook full of notes with me, but I came across a bit of history I never knew! Correct me if I am wrong, but when Delta Zeta was a local they chartered tri-Delta but later went back to local status and became the NPC Delta Zeta! Alums of that chapter were also granted alum status of both organizations (of course this was before the rule was made about being a member of just one NPC).

But I am interested in knowing more about this chapter! Obviously, it was tri-Delta's chapter at Miami University.

I also found out that Kappa Delta was debating about being absorbed by another NPC in its early days but I forgot which one it was.

Needless to say, I am happy DZ and KD are around as they are. I love that there are so many NPC sororities.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

I will have to go more into this when I get my notebook. My reference is the 1968 Baird's.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

According to our history "Ordinary Miracles" written in 1997, there was talk of Kappa Delta merging with Kappa Alpha Theta shortly after we joined NPC ( between 1912-1915) after realizing how small we were and the road we had to climb. Obviously it did not happen. I think I am right and can be corrected but I understand Kappa Delta is one of the few NPC groups never to merge or absorb in anyway with another NPC group, even on a chapter to chapter basis.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
I think I am right and can be corrected but I understand Kappa Delta is one of the few NPC groups never to merge or absorb in anyway with another NPC group, even on a chapter to chapter basis.
How interesting! I always thought there were just as many, if not more, NPCs that weren't involved in mergers/absorptions. I don't think DG has ever merged with or absorbed a chapter, have they, DG experts?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Beta Phi never merged with another group. We did absorb one chapter. There was a chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha's (Iota Chapter) that became the Virginia Alpha Chapter of Pi Beta Phi around the time that the Association of Education Sororities was formed. (Several groups had to choose either NPC or AES and divest themselves of chapters at schools not in their domain. I think Tri Delta has at least one chapter that was a Tri Sigma chapter.)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm...I wonder why the Baird's manual would say that about the DZ chapter. Any Tri-Delta's know of this?

My notebook says Tri-Delta had a chapter established at Miami University in 1911. It absorbed a local, called Delta Zeta. Later this local revived and became the NPC Delta Zeta. On page 482 in Baird's it also says that alums of this particular chapter were Tri-Delta and DZ alums.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello PAS:

Delta Zeta was founded in Sept 1902 when the first few women matriculated at Miami of Ohio. Per the October 1902 edition of the The Miami Student campus newspaper:

“A Sorority is Announced

‘On September 19th six of our progressive Co-eds organized a sorority. It is a local organization at present, but our girls hope to have sufficient success to warrant them putting chapters in other schools.’”

So the group began with the goal of becoming a national organization. Delta Zeta was incorporated in the state of Ohio on 24 October 1902 (date on incorporation papers).

The October 1903 edition of The Miami Student has the first mention of a newer group QT. Soon this group would adopt the Greek letters Phi Tau. In the very earliest pictures of Phi Tau sisters, there is a Tri-Delta pennant on the wall.

I think all but one of Delta Zeta's founders had transferred from and/or graduated from another university to Miami so they were older and ready for teaching careers and marriage. Only Julia Bishop and Luella Crugar returned in the fall of 1903. They were determined recruiters and by March of 1904 Delta Zetas had had two more initiations and had established rooms at Hepburn Hall. Things were small back then – by December 1904 DZ had 11 members and 1 pledge and Phi Tau had 10 members and 2 pledges.

In 1905 DZ and Phi Tau collegians each approached different sororities of the newly organized Inter-Sorority Conference (later National Panhellenic Conference) to discuss affiliation. Apparently Miami did not have sufficient female population to encourage a national. No national was ready to come to Oxford. So after much discussion and the counsel of administration advisors to both groups, the girls were encouraged to merge and petition a national organization again. I would just guess that a member or two of Phi Tau was a Tri-Delta transfer (just a hunch) because it was decided by the college girls to combine as Phi Taus and repetition Tri-Delta. The Delta Zeta alumnae were a little bit heartbroken but they understood the desire of the college girls to be in a national group before they graduated. And so it was – the Delta Zeta constitution, ritual and ritual items were burned and Bliss Glenn, Mary Belle Martin, Mary McSurely, Arminta Baughman, Florence Kerr, Marjorie Grant, Daisy Minnich, Angeline Haworth, Helen Daniels and Lorena Beard were released to become Phi Taus in the fall of 1906.

I have a recollection that an edition of “The Sorority Handbook” by Ida Shaw Martin, told a story of these women holding the distinction of having been initiated into two national sororities. Tri-Delta being established with 25 chapters nationally when DZ and Phi Tau merged in 1906, and Delta Zeta being a national by the time Mrs. Martin published the story. You mentioned page 482 of an edition of Baird’s. I could not relocate the site in the editions I have downloaded of either “The Sorority Handbook” or “American College Fraternities”.

But Delta Delta Delta did not come to Miami and absorb Phi Tau until 1911. So the Delta Zeta collegians who were released to become Phi Taus would have graduated by then. Perhaps most affiliated with Tri-Delta as alumnae. Also by then Delta Zeta had done its Phoenix (spring 1908), written a new ritual and constitution, then established itself as a national and a member of NPC (1909). So DZ was the first national sorority at Miami of Ohio. Tri-Delta was the second national sorority at Miami in 1911, with Tri-Sigma and Chi Omega coming in 1912.

Delta Zeta never merged with Tri-Delta, Delta Zeta merged with Phi Tau and then reestablished as a separate sorority before Tri-Delta absorbed Phi Tau. Ida Shaw Martin would later play a major roll in NPC mergers that did involve Delta Zeta.

Last edited by BetaIotaDZ; 07-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Phi Tau badge from Miami U.

BG
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Those coffin shaped badges always creep me out a bit!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! So crazy! Thank you so much BetaIotaDZ! I can't believe they burned their ritual...I mean, I understand why--but I am a sucker for ritual and I would have locked that up in a vault and waiting until I could resurrect the sorority. Ha. But that is just me.

Wow...So I know I will never know the answer, but I wonder if DZ's ritual was different...well I suppose it obviously was since the first was burned and than there was a merger...anyways, what an interesting history! DZ must be such an interesting sorority to be a part of! So many adsorptions and history to read about!