GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 310,156
Threads: 114,993
Posts: 2,161,556
Welcome to our newest member, mpg
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 AM
KerriMarie KerriMarie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 447
School with the reputation of cutting half of PNMs?

Hi - on the Sorority subreddit, a PNM claims that her "smaller Southern" school with a very small Greek system cuts over half of PNMs on the first day of Recruitment. While I don't believe her, I wonder what school she could be at and why they have this reputation. She also thinks the school "doesn't have rec letters."

What small Southern school could this be?
__________________
The owl, the key, the fleur de lis... rah rah for KKG!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,055
Well, it's possible a large number could be released if PH lets women who don't meet the minimum GPA requirements of the groups go thru recruitment. And smaller schools often do that along with many women being first time college students which can mean they don't really "get it." NO school requires recs. Only national orgs do that so it would depend on which groups are at that school.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Remiechi Remiechi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 17
Could it be Elon? And do you think they actually mean that the “top” chapters cut more than 50% due to RFM?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:26 PM
ForrestGrump ForrestGrump is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 19
My alma mater is a small liberal arts university with a small Greek system (currently four sororities and three fraternities). The university has a special program for students which gives "points" for attending a variety of campus programs, events and trainings throughout the year. Score enough points and the university will give you a couple thousand dollars off your tuition. The university decided a couple of years ago that fall formal recruitment would be included among the programs for which students could earn points. Students now earn points for attending the Sisterhood round of parties (open to all registered for recruitment) and the Philanthropy round (first round of invites). Last year, almost 140 women registered for fall recruitment, but more than half of them dropped by the end of the Philanthropy round, and only about 65 women actually attended Pref parties. While the university feels that it's a great opportunity for freshmen and transfer students to meet people and learn about Greek life (and campus life), the GLO's have more mixed feelings. Yes, some women who were iffy about joining a GLO might be swayed once they've attended parties and seen all of them up close. But a lot of time, effort and money is being expended on participants who aren't really interested, and the high drop rates can impact RFM.

So this isn't really an example of the school "cutting" PNM's; more like giving women an incentive to participate and then removing that incentive before Preference. And no school cares about recommendations -- that is something determined by each chapter, based on it's national's policies.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,764
Lots of people just love to say this to make their Greek system seem more exclusive than it really is.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2019, 05:31 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,985
Yep. I've actually seen this said about the school I went to.

This usually means:

The person saying it was cut heavy and withdrew.

The person saying it was cut heavy, got a bid to a chapter she did not really like, and is trying to make herself feel better.

The stronger chapters DO CUT HEAVIER with the RFM in place but that does not = 50% of PNMs not getting bids.

Certain chapters will at times have to make a 50% cut (I've seen it that high before for the most historically strong chapters on a campus.) That does not mean every chapter is. Most of them are not and generally speaking, most universities (even your Bamas, IUs, etc.) have placement rates in the high 90% range.)
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:22 AM
KerriMarie KerriMarie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 447
Yeah, she got cut despite a great GPA and campus involvement, etc. I tried to let her know that until she figured out why she got cut by all chapters on the first day, a re-rush wasn't likely to be successful. That's when she told me about half of all PNMs get cut by all chapters on the first day, because there just aren't that many spots.

I didn't try to discuss further.
__________________
The owl, the key, the fleur de lis... rah rah for KKG!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,362
There is noooo way that happens! "Not enough spots"?
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2019, 06:47 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,404
Agree with Carnation. Calling baloney on your PNM.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,381
Perhaps she meant, not that many spots.......in the next invitational round........for high-return chapters.........due to RFM.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

Connect. Impact. Shine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,072
Just to make it clear...

Are there schools where less than half of the women participating in Recruitment who meet the objective requirements set by the school are offered bids by one of the sororities? (and if so, what school has the smallest percentage being offered bids?)
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Are there schools where less than half of the women participating in Recruitment who meet the objective requirements set by the school are offered bids by one of the sororities? (and if so, what school has the smallest percentage being offered bids?)
You've been on GC for a long time; you know that the way your questions are worded are not going to be answered. Simply too many variables at play in recruitment.

One example: women who voluntarily withdraw from recruitment when they don't get invited back to their desired chapter(s). Can't be offered a bid when you don't play all the way through. How does that affect the answer(s)?

Again, your questions would benefit from better refining your search terms. You have a tendency to pick up the broadest brush possible and then paint. I know you think I am picking on you, and I'm truly not. I'm being a responsible analyst and trying to help you. If I were the one asking, I would break down the questions into much more definable terms.
__________________
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
You've been on GC for a long time; you know that the way your questions are worded are not going to be answered. Simply too many variables at play in recruitment.

One example: women who voluntarily withdraw from recruitment when they don't get invited back to their desired chapter(s). Can't be offered a bid when you don't play all the way through. How does that affect the answer(s)?

Again, your questions would benefit from better refining your search terms. You have a tendency to pick up the broadest brush possible and then paint. I know you think I am picking on you, and I'm truly not. I'm being a responsible analyst and trying to help you. If I were the one asking, I would break down the questions into much more definable terms.
How does that affect the answer(s)? It doesn't.
Variable 1: Number of women who sign up (and meeting the school and Panhel's objective criteria) to participate in Panhellenic Recuitment. As far as I can tell, at most schools this is a specific number. It doesn't matter whether they drop immediately after signing up, suicide at their final choice or continue on all the way to becoming a pledge.

Variable 2: Number of bids offered by the Sororities participating the Panhellenic recruitment at the end of period, regardless of whether they are accepted by the girls. (Which should be more or less equal to the sum of the quotas)

Are there cases where Variable 2 is less than half of Variable 1. I'm not looking to find out whether for Alabama's 2016 rush the ratio is .4135, I'm looking for round numbers.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2019, 02:19 PM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
How does that affect the answer(s)? It doesn't.
Variable 1: Number of women who sign up (and meeting the school and Panhel's objective criteria) to participate in Panhellenic Recuitment. As far as I can tell, at most schools this is a specific number. It doesn't matter whether they drop immediately after signing up, suicide at their final choice or continue on all the way to becoming a pledge.

Variable 2: Number of bids offered by the Sororities participating the Panhellenic recruitment at the end of period, regardless of whether they are accepted by the girls. (Which should be more or less equal to the sum of the quotas)

Are there cases where Variable 2 is less than half of Variable 1. I'm not looking to find out whether for Alabama's 2016 rush the ratio is .4135, I'm looking for round numbers.
I have to ask: have you ever taken a basic research class?

ABSOLUTELY the answers will be affected by the way the questions are posed/written! Your examples are, for lack of better words, not related to your original questions. Sheesh. Sigh.

Good luck.

ETA: note to self: stop trying to help him/her.
__________________
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:48 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I have to ask: have you ever taken a basic research class?

ABSOLUTELY the answers will be affected by the way the questions are posed/written! Your examples are, for lack of better words, not related to your original questions. Sheesh. Sigh.

Good luck.

ETA: note to self: stop trying to help him/her.
Nope. (College was 30 years ago and my degree is in Mathematics) And I felt that I wasn't looking for exact enough answers to require the questions to be that exact.

I believe that my questions as stated was basically were equivalent to "At what schools does a woman who formally participants in recruitment have less than a fifty percent chance of getting a bid?"
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PNMs and "cutting" chapters. KSUViolet06 Sorority Recruitment 93 05-28-2017 02:38 PM
How does your school handle bidless PNMs on bid day? KSUViolet06 Recruitment 96 02-12-2013 09:51 PM
PNMs and high school service carnation Recruitment 2 07-10-2006 12:27 PM
PNMs at the Same School honeychile Recruitment 11 08-15-2003 08:20 PM
Are there PNMs from YOUR school are on GC? ZetaLuvBunny Recruitment 32 08-11-2003 09:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.