GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 703
0 members and 703 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2002, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Convention

Is anyone going to the Convention in Orlando?

I am thinking about it - if anyone has gone before - what is a convention like? Favorite things about attending?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be there! This will be my fifth.

There are a lot of things about convention that I love (seeing chapters win awards, great keynote speakers, getting to see old friends) but the one thing that always gives me major chill bumps is hearing 500 women sing "Grace" at one time. It's breathtaking!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh geez. I bet that's amazing.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I'll be there (as delegate for my alumnae association). This will be my 13th. My mom, sister, and now my niece are all Alpha Xis. We use convention for our "ladies get together".

Lots of things are wonderful about convention. Beeing with 500+ women participating in initiation. Seeing sisters who live in other parts of the country who you only see every 2 years on convention. Rose Banquet is ususally incrediblely beautiful.

There are programs about all kinds of aspects of fraternity life aim at both collegiate issues and alumnae issues. There a speakers who inspire and inform.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I would really like to go! I haven't been yet. I was never our chapter's delegate, and since school I've been too poor in money and/or time. But hopefully I'll make this one.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
I would love to go, but am currently without chapter. Could I still go with my old one? How does this all work if you're an alum now? I wouldn't know what to do or where to go since I've never been able to go and am a premature alum. Someone fill me in!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking We can all go

Any Alpha Xi Delta can go to Convention.

It's true that each Collegiate Chapter must send a delegate and while Alumnae Associations aren't required to send a delegate - most do. The delegates are the voting members of the "National Chapter". The National Chapter votes on things like changes to the National Constitution, they elect National Council, etc.

There is a lot for non-delegates to do... non-delegates can attend the National Chapter meetings (they have a voice but no vote), there are key note speakers and banquets every day where National Awards are given, there a many programming/break out sessions for everyone to go to. There are usually around 20 different sessions for you to choose from - some geared towards Collegians, others geared towards Alumnae Association Members, and still others that just apply to women.

There is also a service project that you can sign up for. Typically, the voting delegates have not been able to do the service project because it usually happens during one of the Chapter Meetings. The project is always focused on Choose Children within that local community. It's very cool.

There is also usually one afternoon of "free time" so that you can see the sites. Being in Orlando where there is so much to do I'm not sure how I will ever choose what to do during our free time.

Other activities include sing-a-long sessions (for those that just love to sing or for chapters that want/need to learn new songs), some of the chapters with many members attending may have a reunion, there is always a Greek Store set up with TONS of Alpha Xi Delta merchandise, and the list goes on.

Shoot, if we find out that many Greek Chatters are going to attend, we could put together our own reunion if we wanted.

Okay - the commercial must end now.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

AlphaXiGirl - Thanks for all the info. I am a grad student and an alum and was thinking about going to Convention. After reading you post ( and the post of others) I am saving money now. I think it is something that would be awesome to be a part of.

Do you know of special hotel rates? I clicked on the link on the home page and the rates were rather spendy. Usually a group having an event will arrange some special deal but I cannot seem to find any info.

This is off topic - but I think I will be relocating to the Raliegh,NC area after graduation. There does not seem to be an alumae association there - does anyone know how difficult it is to start one or how to get started?
Old 11-20-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

The hotel rate posted by Alpha Xi Delta is the negotiated price but there is nothing that says that you have to stay at that hotel.... only the delegates HAVE to stay at the hotel. Remember, we're going to Orlando and the hotel is right at Sea World - and it's a very nice hotel. It can be pricey but if you want, you share a room with someone and split the price. If you don't have a roommate in mind, Fraternity Headquarters will pair you with someone.

As far as alumnae associations - it only takes 5 alumnae to form an association. I know that there are women from my chapter in Raleigh.... with Elon being so close, I'm sure that you could get the members pretty quickly. (We also had a chapter at NC State in the 80's). When you are ready to form the association, just give Fraternity Headquarters a call - they will give you all of the information that you need.

Take care.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to Convention this year- yay! For the questions about costs for alums - I know our alum group has a budget that I think can pay for the registration for a few people to go.

Maybe in June we regroup here and figure out how we can meet up in Orlando!
Old 04-10-2003, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
From the posted convention schedule:

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/convention.asp

There seems to be time before the Welcome Banquet. I'd like to propose that we meet at the doors of the banquet room at 5pm. That should be a centrally located place. Depending on how many of us there are we can then arrange to meet again elsewhere.

Paige
Old 04-10-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Dang, for a FEW people? Our alum group has a budget that doesn't even pay for the entire cost for ONE person to go.

... So jealous ...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-AlphaXi
From the posted convention schedule:

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/convention.asp

There seems to be time before the Welcome Banquet. I'd like to propose that we meet at the doors of the banquet room at 5pm. That should be a centrally located place. Depending on how many of us there are we can then arrange to meet again elsewhere.

Paige
Great idea. Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Ladies - I will be arriving Friday afternoon and wont be attending the Housing Corp meeting - so I will be free all day Fri and most of Sat. Once I find out my room number I will post it and maybe some people would like to get together?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh yeah - is anyone else going to the Sigma Chi Sweetheart ball?