GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,307
1 members and 1,306 guests
g41965

Old 02-21-2001, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
Unhappy Still hopeful in Richmond

I was recently declined an invation for membership with your sorority at this time and I'm feeling kinda sad. This was my first experience in expressing my interest in Delta Sigma Theta. Many of my friends (who are your sorors) have told me that they too did not make it on their first try and I guess that made me feel a little better. I have great support from my friends who are Deltas. They encourage me to continue my public services and try again. The only thing that I continue to think about is the fact that, from what I'm told, most alumnae chapters only do intake every 4 to 6 years. I am excited about possibly becoming a member and I look forward to possibly contributing to Delta's many, many causes. I guess what I need is more words of encouragement because feeling rejected is not such a great feeling.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Korkscru,
I am glad to see that you are not discouraged through this setback. As my sorors told you, continue to take part in public service initiatives and maintain your academic success and all other things that you should do as a focused young lady. When it is time for you to enter the Sisterhood, it will happen. Do you have any idea why it may be that you were not afforded the opporunity to join at this time? If so, work on that area that you may need improvement. Again, this simply may not have been your particular time. However, this is no reason to give up hope!! I wish you luck in your endeavor and don't forget if it comes easily and without sacrafice, you won't appreciate it as much.

A Diva

------------------
P.H.A.S.A.D.
D.S.G.H.O.S.T.S.
LAMBDA
4/15/00
Old 02-22-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks CrimsonRage. I appreciate the words of advice. I am no longer in school. I obtained my M.A. in 1997. I feel that I may have been declined membership due to the fact that I have only been in this area a short time ( a little over a year). I wish that I could go into more detail about what happened, but I don't feel that the message board is appropriate. But it is something typical and something that can be easily rectified. What are your thoughts about the amount of time that alumnae chapters take between intake processes?
Old 02-22-2001, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, you may feel free to email me privately with further information. My address is Phasad14@hotmail.com. I have to run now, but I will be back to answer your question about Graduate Chapters and my thoughts.

------------------
P.H.A.S.A.D.
D.S.G.H.O.S.T.S.
LAMBDA
4/15/00
Old 02-22-2001, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by korkscru:
I was recently declined an invation for membership with your sorority at this time and I'm feeling kinda sad. This was my first experience in expressing my interest in Delta Sigma Theta. Many of my friends (who are your sorors) have told me that they too did not make it on their first try and I guess that made me feel a little better.

I have actually never attempted membership, but I can imagine that you are disappointed. I know I would be. I know many who were declined membership the first time, but when they were extended membership, it was just that much more sweeter. Keep doing your community service and try again. Good luck to you!!!
Old 02-22-2001, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

korkscru,
My mother is a member of an NPHC sorority. Her experiences in gaining membership were a little different from yours, but it was a long road never the less. She could not pledge as an undergrad because of her very busy course load and after class work schedule. After she graduated she was invited for membership 2 times but declined because of the money and because she had 2 small children that needed more of her time. The 3rd time she was invited (at the age of 37!!) she was finally in a position to accept. She has been a member of her sorority for over 20 years and loves every minute of it. Sure, she wishes that she could have joined at an earlier age, but she is a full fledged member NOW, with all of the "rights and previledges" of such membership. Don't get discouraged, as people frequently say, membership is for life, and you have a lot of time ahead of you.
Old 02-22-2001, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Keep your head up, and don't give up. You will find that a lot of my sorors didn't make it on the first try. As a matter of fact, out of eight of my line sisters, two of them made it on there THIRD try and four on thier second. Just remember that "If first you don't succeed, brush yourself off and try again". You can email me if you like at
DableST_1@greekchat.com
Old 02-22-2001, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I feel for you korkscru. Rejection is never easy when it's something you desire greatly. This probably wasn't your time. I am a great believer that everything happens for a reason.

Since you are new to the area, now you have time to attend more Delta functions.This gives them a chance to get to know you better and vice versa. Also, you can continue your public service in the area, so by the time you are being considered for membership again, you'll have a longer service history in the community.

I hope this helps you feel a little bit better. Remember your sisterfriends are with you in the journey to Deltaland.

your sisterfriend,
lilmama
Old 02-22-2001, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Korkscru,

I have been in the same situation that you are in. I submitted and was declined an invitation for membership. I can't even tell you how hurt I was, but I have come to realize that it was not my time.

I have continued my public service, and will continue that even if I am never granted membership into the sorority. But I am hoping that one I am able to try again, and again I will try. So, I hope you look at this as a learning experience, because that is what I did.

------------------
Peace
KL
Old 02-22-2001, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I most definitely intend to continue my plight. I really don't give up eaily and I realize that this was just a minor setback. I guess this kind of experience keeps in mind that I am not invensible. I have received great support from a couple of the alumnae Deltas in this area who were a part of the intake process. Their words of encouragement (along with everyone who replied to my post) were like pain-relievers. I am very critical of myself. I'm a counselor and I realize that this is due to my own experiences in life. And it's often difficult to take my own advice. But I realize that it was just not my time and I am not alone in this kind of experience. Can anyone give their comments on the issue pertaining to the amount of time that alumnae chapters take in order to do membership intake? Is 4 to 6 years an average time that they do this? Is this time mandatory or is this strictly based on a specific chapter? I guess the fact that I was declined membership at this time wouldn't seem so bad if I did not have to think about waiting another 4 to 6 years in order to try again. Comments Pleeeez!!
Old 02-23-2001, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
korkscru,

I sent you an email

------------------
Peace
KL