GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,155
0 members and 1,155 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2001, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation GRR! My friends make me mad!

I was telling a few of my friends about how excited I was about Rush, and about how I was learning a lot of important info from the sorority websites and this board, and they retorted "sorority girls are snobby". I was so pissed! I was like "That's just a stereotype. In every organization there are some nice people, and some snobby people. But you can't generalize by saying things like that." And they just were like "whatever" and laughed at me. They really make me mad sometimes. It's not like they were trying to be mean, they are just always sarcastic and such.
My whole relationship with them seems to be sarcastic. That's just another motivation to rush: so maybe I can have sisters that treat me better than my friends from highschool do. That sort of incident makes me wish that my friend Jenn was here (I moved away from WV when I was 15). Jenn and I have been best friends for a decade. We went through it all together. But she's going even farther now---to Cal Tech. So the only way I stay in touch with her is via email.
Oh well, sorry I'm babbling. Just thought I'd get your opinions.

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 07-26-2001, 01:21 PM

Arrow

I know what you mean. My high school freinds even to this day view me a lot differently than they did a few years ago. Oh well, they don't know what they are/will be missing.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear that your friends are giving you a hard time about rushing! I've been in the same boat, so I can definitely empathize. This is the way that I look at it: if someone wants to buy into a stereotype without even attempting to find out if the rumors have any merit, then that person is ignorant and it's his/her loss.

You, on the other hand, have heard the negative things about Greek Life and have chosen to research further and judge for yourself. Along the way, you've found that things aren't always what they seem. That makes you the bigger person in my book!

Don't let your high school friends get you down! You're about to start a whole new chapter in your life, and I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who can't wait to offer their friendship -- minus the sarcasm and negativity! Good luck, and keep us here at GC updated!
Old 07-26-2001, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Don't worry about them. None of my friends could believe when I rushed and actually decided to pledge. They had the same stereotypes and since I've always marched to the beat of my own drum, jaws hit the floor when they heard the news. Quite a few were really intimidated when I came back with a million stories of rush and all my new sisters, but when they realized that it wasn't going to affect our relationship they got excited for me and a bunch of them decided to rush, too. Go for it and have fun!
Old 07-26-2001, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Yup. I know these feelings very well! I think all of my friend's jaws dropped to the ground when I told them that I was going to rush! LOL I guess I don't fit that "stereotypical sorority girl" type, and they thought I was nuts to go through with it! I didn't decide to rush until the very last minute. (And I'm being serious. I barely got my resume in on time!) I roomed with my best friend from high school, and I know she thought I was insane. It really hurt me because her mom is really anti-greek, and when she found out that I had pledged a house she teased me endlessly. She also got into a fight with my friend from across the hall. My friend's mother made fun of her sorority, and even stooped so low as to say "When you're done playing with your sorority 'friends' why don't you try making some time with your non greeks friends?" ARGH. Tinkerbell I just hope that you find some better friends in college! Most will probably sympathize with you since their eyes will already be opened to the real world. I know in high school I didn't want to be greek, and that's only because I didn't know anything about it then. Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Good luck!

------------------
If the angels up above
Could hear us sing our song to you
They'd see that in our hearts
We're Pi Phi's from the start
Old 07-26-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Ex, it is great to see this post!!!!!! I Knew it ment something to you even after your bad experience! That is what led me out of one Fraternity and into another! I did the local and then was colonized as LXA. I have never looked back and am still involved up to my receeding hairline! Iam going back to blond while I know some that are going back to flesh!
You know you have a Brother here if ever need to bend an ear. Shame you are not closer and we could bend an elbow!!!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-26-2001, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

My friends are totally the same way. My roomate last year (who is also going to be my roomate this year) is soooo hard to deal with regarding Greek life. She's a "feminist" so she's decided that she's opposed to sororities and frats because they seperate the sexes, plus she thinks they're all superficial and pointless. The thing is, she's never taken the time to actually research any of these opinions. I told her she was being prejudiced and she just got mad, but it's true. She was frustrating me so much one day, talking about how my IQ was going to go down if I rushed, etc, that I was just like: "Ok, so it's alright by you if women unite against oppresion from men, but it isn't ok if women unite to celebrate sisterhood and the common bonds that tie us together?" That shut her up for a while, thank goodness!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

My best friend from high school told me over Xmas break after I pledged that, "I think sororitites are cults." So my retort was, "Then don't join one...Of course, those fraternity boys you spend so much time with are just *totally* different. Oh I get it, sororities don't give you free beer, right?" And she shut up. Unfortunately, you will always run into people like that. Just laugh...cuz it's funny how stupid people can be! Besides, there's no use getting angry and upset when really nothing you say is gonna change their minds. Just let it roll off your back.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 07-27-2001, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Most high school friends tend to drift apart and have different interests when they get to college. Keep your chin up, you have an open mind and a positive attitude. I'm sure that your decision to go Greek will be great for you whether they agree or not.