GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 986
1 members and 985 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Toujours_Jolie
Medical School recommendations

I will be applying for medical school soon, but because I took my science prerequisites early in my college career and have not kept in contact with those professors I won't be able to get many recommendations from science professors. Did any medical school students or applicants face this problem, and if so, how did you overcome it? I was an English major...does that make any difference ? Thank you for any information you can give me.

Jolie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
The science courses are important preparation for the MCAT but it is not required to be a science major to apply to medical school (a fact that many medical schools will publish in their catalog). It is more important that your recommendations be from someone who knows your abilities-- communication skills are being emphasized more in medical schools as are analytical abilities. It may be non-traditional but it will make you stand out more (and that's a good thing) to have a recommendation letter not speak to your abilities in the lab!

Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Toujours_Jolie
Thanks!

I know that it is not necessary to be a science major, but some schools say that they want recommendations from science professors (irrespective of the applicant's major). There probably can be exceptions though because, like you said, it's more important to have recommendations from people who can really vouch for your abilities than a science professor who cannot. Thanks for the advice/info !

Jolie
Old 03-29-2004, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
The reason that a school may suggest a reference from a science professor is to speak to your knowledge/ abilities/ determination to do research. It isn't just how good you are identifying bacteria under a microscope but how versed are you in the research process? The curiousity to seek new knowledge, determination and drive to see a project to completion are important to anyone wanting to be a physician. Some possible alternatives would be if you took any upper level experimental psychology courses or sociology courses on qualitative research.

As a nurse practitioner who has worked with many medical students, I would welcome you. Liberal Arts majors make fine physicians too!!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Many medical schools look favorably on summer research interships and programs. If you have received scholarships in the past for biomedical research, then the persons that accepted you in their program will be able to write letters of recommendations.

If you have never had a scholarship of this sort, you had better blow the top off the MCAT, or at least connect with the national medical school program ASCAVM (sp?). The administrators there can help you enter.

NO ONE WHO APPLIES ALONE CAN ENTER MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! All applicants have some level of help from somebody. Medical schools just do not gather random people off the street. They want to make sure if you are accepted into their program, you will successfully finish the program... It makes them look good. That is just the nature of the beast.

And they interview...

I would say you ought to connect with folks from your current university and start asking them millions of questions...

I work at the University of Washington, School of Medicine, Department of Comparative Medicine.

Moore-Sanders, Ph.D.
Good Luck.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-15-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm applying this summer, too. I need two science professors, one non-science, one research advisor, and a personal reference, preferably from a physician, for my top choice school. I just went back to a couple of my assembly-class professors and was like, "Hi, you don't remember me, but I got an A in your class, here's my transcript and resume, write me a letter?" And they did. They're used to that sort of thing. Good luck with your applications; are you taking the MCAT on Saturday? Gee, I'm so excited I could just scream...
Old 05-07-2004, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone,
Good to hear some news from people in my situation.

Just wondering how everyone thought the MCAT was. I for one thought it was difficult in some areas. Overall, it was what I expected. However, I'm not confident in how I did. Just wanted some advice on what I should do or what ya'll are doing if you find yourself in a situation like mine. Okay, as I said, I don't think I kicked MCAT behind or anything. So I'm kinda scared about my scores. That isn't the main problem though. I want to register for the August MCAT just in case, but then if I don't end up needing to take it I don't think I'll get a full refund. My main concern is not being about to take the test at LSU and having to take it in Lafayette or Hammond (about 45min-1 hr) away. I really want tko register to just hold my spot.

Just wondering ya'lls opinion.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Toujours_Jolie-

If the school says, 2 sicence, 1 humanities rec, then DO NOT deviate from what they ask for. If you do, they will toss your app out the window because you can't follow directions.

I applied once, and got wait listed (I'm applying again). I was told by my advisors to always follow directions, always edit and spell check, and to be early with your applications. I did not miss any deadlines, but I was behind my schedule, and I think that is one of the main reasons I am not in school today!

Thetalove-
As for taking the Aug MCAT, you can register now and get a refund if you decide not to take the test. The rule of thumb is below 27: re-test, 27 and above: apply and see where you get. 27-28 is a grey area, and up to you. You are lucky because there are 1 or 2 Lousiania schools that only accept residents. If you decide to re-take the Aug MCAT, keep in mind that schools will not look at your application until it is complete. Re-taking in Aug means you will behind schedule compared to the majority of the applicant pool, and that can hurt you (since most schools start interviews in Sept).

hope that helps!