GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,267
1 members and 2,266 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

^^I agree. I'm just used to more just ballet, tap, jazz than a mixture of them.
And what about the music?? Is that music just made up for these routines or are they real songs? I've never heard any of them before. Lots of them are pretty sucky.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
And what about the music?? Is that music just made up for these routines or are they real songs? I've never heard any of them before. Lots of them are pretty sucky.
Ditto on the tumbling. In my city, maybe 3/25 dance studios offered any sort of acro, so no one used it in any choreography.

From what I've heard, it's lifetime's music. They apparently have artists that record specifically for the show. They also dub in the crappy music. Many of the girls' numbers are actually performed to different pieces (thankfully!).
Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Ditto on the tumbling. In my city, maybe 3/25 dance studios offered any sort of acro, so no one used it in any choreography.

From what I've heard, it's lifetime's music. They apparently have artists that record specifically for the show. They also dub in the crappy music. Many of the girls' numbers are actually performed to different pieces (thankfully!).
Last season there were at least two songs by independent artists. The first was when Nia performed a solo to "LaQuifa" by Shangela from the third season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The other was a routine to "My Pumps" http://youtu.be/IkxEBXD8508 by Erickatoure Aviance, an independent performer. You can hear the original song and watch the video on her youtube channel http://youtu.be/msJa8AbYTjI there's a link to buy it on iTunes.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

A show like this will probably smoke out a lot of (would be) kidnappers and pedophiles. But at what cost? How many children will be victimized in the process?

Nothing is more dangerous to a child than putting her on display like this. Any parent should have an intuitive awareness of this. Young girls everwhere are being endangered by this show to the effect that everyone involved should be removed from society.

Even JonBenet Ramsey's father now believes that he made a mistake in putting his daughter on display. And I can't say JonBenet was ever exploited and sexualized to the extent the girls on Dance Moms are.

Children are being abused because we tolerate it. Indeed, we stand by and watch.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Last season there were at least two songs by independent artists. The first was when Nia performed a solo to "LaQuifa" by Shangela from the third season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The other was a routine to "My Pumps" http://youtu.be/IkxEBXD8508 by Erickatoure Aviance, an independent performer. You can hear the original song and watch the video on her youtube channel http://youtu.be/msJa8AbYTjI there's a link to buy it on iTunes.
Oh, I wasn't trying to say that they never use outside music I'll keep looking for the article I read, but they really steamed ahead with the lifetime music this time. They also definitely perform with regular songs (not awkward, lifetime jams) to some of this season. From what I read, it really has to do with royalties. I have no experience with royalties, I guess there are different costs for different songs? Will keep looking for the article!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedcursor View Post
A show like this will probably smoke out a lot of (would be) kidnappers and pedophiles. But at what cost? How many children will be victimized in the process?

Nothing is more dangerous to a child than putting her on display like this. Any parent should have an intuitive awareness of this. Young girls everwhere are being endangered by this show to the effect that everyone involved should be removed from society.

Even JonBenet Ramsey's father now believes that he made a mistake in putting his daughter on display. And I can't say JonBenet was ever exploited and sexualized to the extent the girls on Dance Moms are.

Children are being abused because we tolerate it. Indeed, we stand by and watch.
The question of "on display" has many permutations.

I come from a part of the country where kids' beauty pageants are a non issue. But kids, boys and girls, are involved in many things including (and not limited to) sports like tennis and soccer (tiny outfits at a public park), acting (kids going in alone to an audition room), kids who are in Boy/Girl Scouts, in art classes (high level art classes here for high schoolers do have nude models) and just wearing skimpy clothes in general.

The huge majority of these kids in the above are not abused. The parents are present. The moms of Dance Moms are present.

While I find beauty pageants banal at best I do not equate them with child endangerment. I don't believe that putting your child of display whether in sports, acting or dancing (as you put it) equates to an invitation to pedophiles.

As for the demographics (and they are available) for Dance Moms (which is highly rated) would bear this out.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
It seems that Lifetime has taken issue with the last two episodes, especially the ones called "Topless Showgirls". While part of me is extremely curious about what occurred in the episode (especially Holly's reaction to the piece), it really did make me question Abby's logic, and whether or not she was exploiting the girls. The girls basically looked naked. I'm glad that Lifetime pulled it.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hm. It's not on the website anymore. Actually, the costumes weren't any tinier than the others they've been wearing.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPARose View Post
It seems that Lifetime has taken issue with the last two episodes, especially the ones called "Topless Showgirls". While part of me is extremely curious about what occurred in the episode (especially Holly's reaction to the piece), it really did make me question Abby's logic, and whether or not she was exploiting the girls. The girls basically looked naked. I'm glad that Lifetime pulled it.
But that horse is way out of the barn! I don't know that it does much good to pull the show AFTER they have already aired it.

I saw the show. The tops were so covered in jewels that the girls did not look nude at all.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Melissa needs to get the sticke out over her engagement. Seriously? Threatening to sue her friends because they ask her about it? Oh brother! Also, she's a grown woman. She needs to grow up and stop getting Abby to run interferance for her. If she truly doesn't want to talk about it, she could just tell Chloe & Kelly to mind their own business.

Watching the show, it's very obvious that Abby plays favorites with Maddie. Come on! Abby favors her star (yes she's a talented dancer) but I don't believe the other moms are jealous of Maddie. I think they're upset that they pay good money for these lessons and Abby virtually ignores their daughters except to criticize them continuously.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless you are engaged to a mass murderer, married man or a convicted felon an engagement is something to be shared. Don't wear a ring if you don't want people wishing you happiness.

...until they don't...wish you happiness....
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Did anybody watch Dance Moms: Miami? While the episode was a little boring (the first DM epsiode was, too), I think it could be interesting. I like Angel and Victor, their positive critiques are quite a change from Abby. I'm interested to see where this goes!

In regards to the last episode of DM, I wish I could say I was shocked. It was bound to happen to Maddie eventually, but Abby's reaction was completely inappropriate. I felt so awful for the other girls who were reemed out for forgetting their dances, and didn't get an hour of crying. And even though Abby asked for her "paddling" (one of the MOST awkward moments of television I've ever seen), she never even took a step towards admitting her bias, or apologising. Also, Cathy- take a step back, reexamine your life. Stop criticising 12 year olds if you have issues with their mothers. You are entirely embarrassing. I was so happy for Chloe!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

When it comes to that crying, Abby needs to practice what she preaches.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If anyone had any doubts about Abby's favoritism towards Maddie, this episode should have cleared up that misconception ...unless you're Melisa. I felt bad for Chloe because not once did Abby acknowledge her for winning the competition or for getting the scholarship. Abby was obviously concerned only for Maddie and for her reputation. Holly is my hero for calling Abby out. Abby had no defense because she was wrong though she'll probably never admit it. Also, kudos to Melisa for knocking Maddie down a peg after she threw her tantrum over the scholarship. I recall her saying she thought she should have won because she thought she was the better dancer. Obviously the Joffrey ballet people didn't think so.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
If anyone had any doubts about Abby's favoritism towards Maddie, this episode should have cleared up that misconception ...unless you're Melisa. I felt bad for Chloe because not once did Abby acknowledge her for winning the competition or for getting the scholarship. Abby was obviously concerned only for Maddie and for her reputation. Holly is my hero for calling Abby out. Abby had no defense because she was wrong though she'll probably never admit it. Also, kudos to Melisa for knocking Maddie down a peg after she threw her tantrum over the scholarship. I recall her saying she thought she should have won because she thought she was the better dancer. Obviously the Joffrey ballet people didn't think so.
Did you see poor Chloe's face when they first went back there and Abby started crying? (before the rest of the moms came in) You could tell she felt neglected. I think Maddie is an amazing dancer, but I'm so happy Chloe ended up with it. She looks like more of a graceful ballerina.

KLTC