GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,435
2 members and 1,433 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha Suspended at U. of New Mexico

Pending an investigation of a rape allegation and a hearing, the Lambda Chi Alpha chapter at the U. of New Mexico has been suspended, according to New Mexicio media stories:

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local...997750,00.html

Edited to add: An earlier article provides some details about the alleged incident:

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local...989194,00.html

It may be worth pointing out that alcohol appears to have been involved, according to the second article referenced above.

Last edited by exlurker; 08-12-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

This does NOT excuse what happened at all and kudos to the brother who alledgely (sp) stopped the alledged (sp) attack.....but what the HELL was that girl thinking taking a shower in a fraternity house????

Perhaps I'm naive, but never, ever in my collegiate days did I even have an inkling of a thought to shower in a fraternity house!! I don't think I walked into one by myself....for the purpose of you really don't know who those people are!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

AXiDTrish, the news reports suggested drinking had been going on, and it wouldn't surprise me if alcohol had impaired people's judgment -- I agree, it's no excuse for what allegedly happened. But it's another reason why parents, peers, and so on need to do their best to get the message out about possible effects of drinking too much.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with you!!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Knowing John Holloway from LXA IHQ, He is not one to mess with the sort of Person who does this.

But, from what I have read and discussed this is some sort of supposition to say the Least.

If it is true, then the individual should be prosecuted to the max.

But, Now My Question is, should the total Chapter be Held Responsible for the act of One Member? Especially when a member tried to intervene?

We as GLOs have become so PC that it is hard and We catch Hell no matter what We do.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
But, Now My Question is, should the total Chapter be Held Responsible for the act of One Member? Especially when a member tried to intervene?

We as GLOs have become so PC that it is hard and We catch Hell no matter what We do.
Personal Opinion: NO.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
However, the alleged victim was 19 years old, and the incident reportedly happened "after a night of drinking."

It does not clearly state that the drinking occurred at the fraternity house -- but GLO history would lead us to suspect that it did.

That's probably grounds for suspension in itself in many Nationals.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the individual should be held accountable for their actions, not necessarily the whole chapter. However, because this individual was a brother, the whole chapter will probably suffer a bad reputation because of it. This may be one of the reason's behind the chapter's closing. I am sure that it is to protect the wellbeing of these men, and the organization as a whole.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MReed1081
I think the individual should be held accountable for their actions, not necessarily the whole chapter. However, because this individual was a brother, the whole chapter will probably suffer a bad reputation because of it. This may be one of the reason's behind the chapter's closing. I am sure that it is to protect the wellbeing of these men, and the organization as a whole.
If I read the article correctly, the chapter has not been closed, but suspended. Not an unusual move by most universities and or GLO HQs when an alleged incident (risk management etc.) is under investigation. I am confident that both the University and Lambda Chi Alpha are making sure that any action taken toward the chapter - if need be - will be fitting.

Quote:
The suspension will remain in effect until the organization [Lambda Chi Alpha] schedules a hearing, Boeglin [UNM Dean of Students] said. The suspension means the fraternity is not allowed to hold social or philanthropic events.

The hearing would determine whether the suspension is lifted or continued.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

TSteven. I totally agtee.

If this Chapter has been a problem then certain Judgements should be made. I do not care whose GLO it is.

If there have been continual problems withj This Chapter, then there should be a judgment made and I will agree with it.

It has to stop some where. This not only holds a cloud over the Chapter, but The Fraternity and all GLOs.

Kids will be Kids is going out the window to be sure.

But, I am in hopes that "One Kid" will not ever destroy a GLO on any Campus.

I am more worried about All of the Members, Active and Alums that are there and who have been there and give their Lives and love for that Group.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But, I am in hopes that "One Kid" will not ever destroy a GLO on any Campus.

I am more worried about All of the Members, Active and Alums that are there and who have been there and give their Lives and love for that Group.
I think this is a view shared by most GLOs. Get rid of the bad apples not the whole tree.

As such, I have heard that more fraternities are starting to take a better look at the specifics of risk management violations/situations and where possible, they (IHQ) will hold the individual or individuals responsible. (i.e. suspend or terminate membership) Only as a last resort should a whole chapter be suspended or worse yet, closed.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MReed1081
I think the individual should be held accountable for their actions, not necessarily the whole chapter.
Assuming that there was underaged drinking involved -- which is not entirely clear -- a law has been broken.

I suspect, in the eyes of the school and the nationals, that makes anyone who knew about it an accessory.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.