GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,005
1 members and 1,004 guests
Titchou

Old 06-08-2003, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Giving back to your Alma Mater

I attended my 15th class reunion (from college) a few weeks ago and one of the events was a banquet where we had a "competition" to see which class could raise the most money for the school. One of the statistics that came out was that only about 16% of our alumna give back to the school--a really low number.

For those of you who have graduated from college, do you give back to your alma mater? Why or why not? If you are not a giver, what would convince you to give back?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-08-2003, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Once my student loans are eradicated and eliminated and I no longer have to deal with Sallie Mae, then I will give back to Wittenberg.

They need a new psychology building and more minority student scholarships.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I plan to give back to my alma mater as soon as I have the funds to do so. I have already started by contributing to the Senior Class gift that we gave to the school. I think that it is important to give back IF you have the funds to do so. I also think that it depends on the relationship that you had with the school while you were in attendance. I had a great relationship with my college as far as classes, professors, financial aid, etc. so I believe that this influences me wanting to give back.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I plan to start giving back to Spelman, once I have the resources. Right now, I am active in the Alumnae Association and I attend the yearly scholarship fundraiser hosted by my chapter (this year I bought eight tickets). I rarely attend meetings, but I try to do my small part to help ladies from my area benefit from the Spelman experience.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
[B]Once my student loans are eradicated and eliminated and I no longer have to deal with Sallie Mae,

I second that!!!

Once Sallie and I are no longer on a first name basis and She don't send my no mo' letters about our relationship, then CSU, Fresno can get what I use to send to her...
Old 06-08-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
I plan to give back as soon as my resources allow me to. I used to work in the telefunding department raising money for the school. I hated when people acted like we were selling time shares or something. Hello it's your alma mater! Running a university is a very expensive endeavor, so they need all the help they can! So give back and help those who will come after you!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I pay my alumni dues every year, so I am a financial member of my university's alumni organization, even though is there is not a chapter in my local area.

Once I am able to, I will contribute on a larger level.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
I support my alma mater by being an active financial member of the local alumni association. We do things like offer scholarships, general fundraising for the University, recruiting, and host the touring choir when they perform in the area. Additionally, i give back DIRECTLY to the band , so i know my $$ goes where i want it to.

When i'm out of grad school and on more solid financial ground, i plan to go ahead and pay the life dues for our National alumni association (while to be honest with you, i don't know where that money goes or what it is used for).

Last edited by BLUTANG; 06-08-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

When I first graduated I didn't give back - I was very raw from the things that occurred when I was in school. Over time (and once Sallie was off my back) I have mellowed and became a regular giver and member of the alumni association until my recent unemployment. I have however remained active with programs on the local level even when I couldn't meet my annual financial pledge.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I would not give my alma maters a red cent. If and when they create a better enviroment for people of color and fire several racist professors I will think about it. Unit then ******

I personally did not have very positive experiences....
Old 06-09-2003, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Maybe

Most people who went to USC (University of Southern California) are balling. I'm not in that number, so I don't give back. I really need all the resources I can get. But I'm thinking about joining USCBAA.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I give back

I give back to my alma mater, although I have not in a while, just lazy. Yes, it is a predominately white school, but not too racist. I give back because people gave so that I could enjoy the school. One of the big traditions at my school (my alma mater is BIG on traditions) is to get your senior ring, and because of heavy donations the school is able to cover half the cost of the ring. When I make money I want to contribute to that too. I also had a real good time there.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to give back to my HBCU but since we bought a house and had a baby things have been kind of *tight*. I gave last year when I received a "we need your help" letter but I haven't given anything this year.

We do see a light at the end of the tunnel so hubby and I should start giving again soon. Yes hubby and I met at our HBCU.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

i do give back to my alma mater, Spelman. it's been the budget for several years but not every year since graduation. i'm working to give more to Spelman and the UNCF-The College Fund. since i'm always hypin' HBCUs, i gotta put my money where my mouth is
Old 06-10-2003, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not able to give financially right now, but I do give back. I'm part of an alumni group that helps mentor students who are studying to be in my field. I find it really rewarding and valuable. I'm sure the school would love the money, but the students get the immediate benefit of having someone to ask about the field, classes, and job prospects. It helps that I still live pretty close to my alma mater. So, I can ride down there for events and support the Black organizations as well.