GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,305
0 members and 2,305 guests
No Members online

Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Hypothetically speaking, let's say that at certain schools, following your National's RMF policies could be considered social suicide because of the longstanding traditions on that campus and the prevailing campus culture.
And purely hypothetically speaking, said Inter/National would be well within their rights to pull such a chapter's charter after sufficient attempts to correct the risk management problems.

Last edited by amIblue?; 05-14-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
And purely hypothetically speaking, said Inter/National would be well within their rights to pull such a chapter's charter after sufficient attempts to correct the risk management problems.
Absolutely. And hypothetically speaking, they wouldn't be the first very strong national to do so at such a campus.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Kappa Gamma just announced via Twitter that they were chosen to colonize at Elmhurst College in fall 2013
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg233 View Post
Kappa Kappa Gamma just announced via Twitter that they were chosen to colonize at Elmhurst College in fall 2013
Hooray!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's kind of unfair.

There are several entities involved in chapter closures: the collegians, the HQ and volunteers, the alumnae, the campus Greek community, and the Greek Life department of the college. Very rarely, if ever, is it completely one single entity's fault.

Considering part of my chapter's "outlined expectations" were to get from 13 to 40 members in 3 months (after formal rush had already occurred) and for those same 13 members to pay off a $5000 debt incurred to HQ by previous members, in that same amount of time, I would case a Blanche Devereaux side eye at that phrase. Plus, if the ranking sites are correct, the risk management issues in the chapter seem to have been going on for years, including when they were Lily Pulitzer poster children. If you weren't busted for it 4 years ago, why on earth would you think you'd be busted for it now?
My comment was certainly not directed at you. It was directed at those Collegians (possibly former) viciously attacking the team from headquarters. I've been attacked for holding a member to standards she chose to forget, and a woman like that in my experience has always laid the blame anywhere else but herself. That is what I meant. Feel better?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg233 View Post
Perfect fit!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Any news on who was chosen at Georgia College and State University?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
My comment was certainly not directed at you. It was directed at those Collegians (possibly former) viciously attacking the team from headquarters. I've been attacked for holding a member to standards she chose to forget, and a woman like that in my experience has always laid the blame anywhere else but herself. That is what I meant. Feel better?
Well, no, because you didn't see my point. Unless you KNOW that those collegians who wrote those comments were in exactly the same place as the ones you spoke to, you really have no call to say it's all their fault.

And hypothetically speaking, if you want to get any respect for putting your foot down on serious RMF issues, you do it when the horse puts the first hoof out of the barn, not when he has merrily gone galloping and is three states away.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, no, because you didn't see my point. Unless you KNOW that those collegians who wrote those comments were in exactly the same place as the ones you spoke to, you really have no call to say it's all their fault.

And hypothetically speaking, if you want to get any respect for putting your foot down on serious RMF issues, you do it when the horse puts the first hoof out of the barn, not when he has merrily gone galloping and is three states away.
One might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Alpha Tau Omega will colonize at Samford University in the upcoming year.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I completely agree that RMF issues should always be addressed as soon as they start - in an ideal world. But are you saying that because the issue has been ongoing and it wasn't stopped right away, that they should just turn a blind eye to it going forward? Just because they didn't close the chapter immediately, or otherwise address the issue immediately, doesn't mean they should never address the issue.

If I walk around all day with a piece of lettuce in my teeth, and then I finally notice it, I'm not going to just leave it there because it's too late to not look stupid in front of all the people who saw it already.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
I completely agree that RMF issues should always be addressed as soon as they start - in an ideal world. But are you saying that because the issue has been ongoing and it wasn't stopped right away, that they should just turn a blind eye to it going forward? Just because they didn't close the chapter immediately, or otherwise address the issue immediately, doesn't mean they should never address the issue.

If I walk around all day with a piece of lettuce in my teeth, and then I finally notice it, I'm not going to just leave it there because it's too late to not look stupid in front of all the people who saw it already.
No, the point is that the responsibility is shared among the collegians, the advisers, and HQ. The latter two groups can't turn their heads for years and then act surprised that the issues have escalated.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of y'all sure seem to know a lot more about the situation than I do, hypothetically speaking, of course.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Congratulations to the members of the recently chartered Zeta Psi chapter at the University of Chicago.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Some of y'all sure seem to know a lot more about the situation than I do, hypothetically speaking, of course.
I have no idea whether this particular situation fits that. I'm saying that automatically branding the collegians "self-involved, irresponsible, whiney, crybabies" unless you PERSONALLY worked with that chapter is out of line.