GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,611
0 members and 1,611 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Jackson, Mississippi

I'm going to be there one night in a couple of months from now, so I've been looking into a hotel and someplace to grab dinner. The downtown looks, well, kind of deserted on Google Street View. Is anyone familiar with it who could give some suggestions?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Native Mississippian here. The Hilton on County Line Rd. in Jackson would be good. They do have security to watch the cars. A little farther north of Jackson is Madison. The Embassy Suites there is also a good option.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

If your business is near downtown, the Old Capitol Inn is great and the nearby Fondren area has great restaurants like Walker's. It is the "hip, happening" midtown area.

I agree with MSKKG that the Hilton on County Line Drive is good and only a few minutes drive from downtown. I think they have a Dragos there (great chargrilled oysters) as well as some good restaurants just down the road.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends is originally from Jackson. She suggested Barrelhouse, Chapley’s for fine dining, Bravo if you’re craving Italian, Walkers, The Manship Babalu tacos or The Mayflower. (I’ve eaten at The Mayflower — get the crab bisque.) Also agreed on Drago’s.

She’s going back to her HS reunion and found a cute 2br cottage on airb&b for $120/night.

Last edited by ChioLu; 04-17-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd avoid downtown at night - it is desolate.

The Fondren area is very artsy and fun. Brent's Drugs (www.brentsdrugs.com) - has a great soda fountain/food. It was used in the movie "The Help". Other fun stores as well. The Belhaven neighborhood is very neat if you have time to just drive around - Eudora Welty's house is there. It's right near the Fondren neighborhood. It's just residential but a very old area so there are neat houses to see.

One thing to note - Jackson has a decently high crime rate, even in good areas, which is why many of my friends have left for Madison/Ridgeland. I have relatives still in Jackson in the nicer areas, but they have been daytime robberies (at open air shopping areas like Highland Village), not sure if it's still going on but it has been an issue in the past, as my friends/relatives have noted. This isn't to scare you, but to make you aware.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My visit to Jackson happened a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't able to get a room at the Old Capitol Inn or even the King Edward, which I'd been checking out, even months and months in advance--maybe because it was the weekend of Jackson State's homecoming and the state fair. I brought a sandwich with me the first night, but later the group I was with had lunch and dinner at a few places on Farish Street.

Unfortunately, never got to have any comeback sauce, I don't think, so I'm going to try making it at home, even though that wouldn't be the same as having it in the place where it originated.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Native Mississippian here. The Hilton on County Line Rd. in Jackson would be good. They do have security to watch the cars. A little farther north of Jackson is Madison. The Embassy Suites there is also a good option.
I stayed at the Hilton in July. Their breakfast buffet is greatly expanded from the traditional Hilton breakfast. It was a pretty active place.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma