GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,410
1 members and 1,409 guests
speedsters

Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, my daughter said her schedule states 2 pref parties. I remember reading somewhere, maybe here(?), that there was talk of cutting one pref party.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome All PNM mom's! This year my DD is on the other side meeting all your precious ones. She said things went well. There will only be two choices of preferences if girls maximums options. Compared to last year, when they had three. Some may wind up with one only preference!
Please encourage your daughters to stay in the process IU has 22 wonderful Sororities! Good Luck keep updating us on your daughters progress.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone my daughter is rushing as well. She said it was a bit cold but she had a great time. She is our second daughter going through the rush process at IU. On her schedule it says Preference Round 1 & 2 then optional 3rd round and optional 4th round. Unsure what that means. My oldest was a RG and they had 3 Prefs. I am thankful she's keeping an open mind and not stuck on her Legacy house. Tomorrow is a long day for them hopefully they stay warm. Good luck to all the PNMs, Moms and families.

Last edited by PNMmom18; 01-03-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O3X...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-03-2018, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNMmom18 View Post
Thanks for sending this! I wonder if the optional designation is tbd based on numbers? I wonder what the Rho Gammas said about that. I will wait until Friday to ask. Don't want to stress her out.

At Iowa, the chapters made the cut first, then you selected from the available houses on your list. My understanding is that it is the opposite at IU and the PNM picks 16 and hopes that they get an invite from the houses they picked. Is that correct?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey everyone my daughter is rushing as well. She said it was a bit cold but she had a great time. She is our second daughter going through the rush process at IU. On her schedule it says Preference Round 1 & 2 then optional 3rd round and optional 4th round. Unsure what that means. My oldest was a RG and they had 3 Prefs. I am thankful she's keeping an open mind and not stuck on her Legacy house. Tomorrow is a long day for them hopefully they stay warm. Good luck to all the PNMs, Moms and families.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPiPhi View Post
Thanks for sending this! I wonder if the optional designation is tbd based on numbers? I wonder what the Rho Gammas said about that. I will wait until Friday to ask. Don't want to stress her out.

At Iowa, the chapters made the cut first, then you selected from the available houses on your list. My understanding is that it is the opposite at IU and the PNM picks 16 and hopes that they get an invite from the houses they picked. Is that correct?
Those are optional additional parties for the sororities who have larger PNM pools at preference. PNMs can only attend a maximum of two preference parties at IU this year.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPiPhi View Post

No. The PNM ranks her chapters and the sororities rank the PNMs. It's a lot more complex, but basically with RFM, the PNM only gets invited back to the parties of the chapters she ranked high if she was high enough on those sororities' lists. Although the process is called mutual selection, a PNM won't get an invite back unless she's ranked high enough on that sorority's list, no matter how high she ranks them. (She can also be invited back to her bottom choices if they ranked her high enough but some of the sororities she ranked higher did not rank her high enough to get an invite.)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Heard late from my D. She said she had fun and overall last night was a good way to get familiar with what to expect. She enjoyed all the houses she visited. Said she was double rushed twice, the first house and then one other. She liked it at the first house because she felt it calmed her and the other girl down a bit and make it easier at the next house when it was just her 1x1. The last visit was with an unhoused chapter. She said those girls were really sweet but it was difficult because the way the room was set up it was very hard to hear and several times she had to ask the member to repeat her question because she couldn't hear it.

She was more excited about today's list of chapters to visit. Especially her 1st and 4th house she goes to today. I know these two will be high on her list but she understands that might not work out so keeping an open mind with all of them.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know the number of girls that actually started? My D called us tonight, had a very good day today and really enjoyed her visits. Before going back to school she was given a PNM number but that changed, she said she moved up 4 spots. Her roommate moved up about 40 and another friend near the end of the alphabet moved up over 100 spots. We take that to mean that at least 100 girls who registered never started the process either for GPA or other reasons.

Despite the cold, she said she is having fun. Her roommate however is sick and as soon as today was over went straight to bed. Feel bad for everyone having to deal with this bitter cold.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Despite the cold, she said she is having fun. Her roommate however is sick and as soon as today was over went straight to bed. Feel bad for everyone having to deal with this bitter cold.
It's brutal out there, for sure. I hope all of the women can get some rest tomorrow evening, I think the parties are over mid afternoon.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Hoping that everyone's daughters, nieces and friends made it through the first round jitters and the brutal cold. My daughter called me this morning when she got her list. She is tired already but eager to see the process through. These are some loooong days!

After first round she had 4 absolute favorites. Three of those are included in her 16 schedule. She was disappointed about being cut by one of her top 4 but I am happy that she is embracing my advice about staying positive. I know it can get a lot worse as the process proceeds and her favorites may change a few more times as she meets more women.

Hoping that the rest of you, following your loved ones progress, are receiving positive news.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Mixed news from my daughter. She was only asked back to 5 and one of those is one she had no connection with at all and had as 22 on her list so was surprised to see them. Only three that she had in her top 16 are on her list including her favorite.

Most of her friends are off at their parties so she is alone in the dorm as her first one isn't until late this afternoon. She wasn't expecting a full list but thought she would have had a few more. She is a legacy at one chapter and put that on her registration form so wondering if that hurt her. We doubt its a GPA cut as she had a 4.0 last semester.

We will see what happens this round, and if her feelings change at all about all 5 that she has invites to. She felt a good connection to two on her list, average connection on the other two and zero connection to her last one. We will see if that changes after this weekend.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

@BBH, as everyone always says, it takes just one. If she had a 4.0 last semester, she is clearly a smart young lady. Hopefully, she will stay positive and find a home at one of those still on her schedule. On a positive note, she did not have to stand outside in sub zero temps for an hour this morning....a part of this process that my daughter is quite unhappy about! Best of luck to her!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Mixed news from my daughter. She was only asked back to 5 and one of those is one she had no connection with at all and had as 22 on her list so was surprised to see them. Only three that she had in her top 16 are on her list including her favorite.
If you read some of the recruitment threads, you'll note that many times a chapter a pnm feels no connection to initially turns out, through the course of recruitment, to actually be her "home". Remind your daughter that she's met the tiniest of tiny fractions of the members, and keep an open mind. Hope it all goes well for her!