GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
3 members and 1,398 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ky2786 Send a message via MSN to Ky2786 Send a message via Yahoo to Ky2786
Lightbulb Sorority Recruitment Ideas for new sorority

Hi, I am the rush officer/counseler for a new sorority started up at my college campus, I have to think of ideas for our rush week starting next semester so far i've come up with only one thing. Is there anything any established sororities could contribute to help me in my brainstorming?
thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this formal recruitment or informal recruitment? Do you need ideas for themes of specific rounds (i.e. philanthropy, skit, preference) or general themes/activities for informal recruitment events?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ky2786 Send a message via MSN to Ky2786 Send a message via Yahoo to Ky2786

we wanted to have something for everyday of the whole rush week.
I was thinking of just general themes or activities for the week. but ANY ideas you have would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

So this is formal recruitment, correct? What is your campus like? How big? Where, regionally? Frills or no frills for recruitment?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ky - you're going to get as much effort put into responses as you put into asking your questions. You're being SO general that people don't even know where to start. Slow down, put some thought into your specific questions, and put some meat in your posts. Right now, you're basically asking us to tell you everything we know about the subject of sorority recruitment, and you're going to find very few people willing to even start on that.

ETA: Also, try using the Search function. There are thousands of recruitment help threads out there already, so people don't bother repeating themselves.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

im sorry that my question wasn't specific enough for you. but this is a brand new sorority i have no idea what to ask and i thought my question was pretty specific based on the fact that i've never done this before.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

in reply to jesssigkapp, this may sound like a stupid question but what exactly is the difference between formal and informal, also...not to sound stupid again but frills? i've never heard of that...
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there other sororities on your campus?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky2786 View Post
im sorry that my question wasn't specific enough for you. but this is a brand new sorority i have no idea what to ask and i thought my question was pretty specific based on the fact that i've never done this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
ETA: Also, try using the Search function. There are thousands of recruitment help threads out there already, so people don't bother repeating themselves.

Again, you still haven't narrowed it down further then "everything about sorority recruitment". What is the purpose of your sorority? How new are you? Are you recognized by the school? How many members do you currently have, and how many are you shooting for? What is the idea you have already? How many days are your recruitments? Are your current sisters preppy, outgoing, silly, laid-back, girly, tomboys, etc?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:46 PM

also, are you local or national? If you're local, are you hoping to colonize with a national? Are you part of your school's Panhellenic?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
in reply to jesssigkapp, this may sound like a stupid question but what exactly is the difference between formal and informal, also...not to sound stupid again but frills? i've never heard of that...
Okay, in a nutshell, formal recruitment is, well, formal. Usually the Potential New Members (PNMs) are in groups lead by a recruitment counselor (sometimes referred to as a Rho Chi, Chi Rho, Rho Gamma, etc.). The PNMs go to all of the houses on campus and then whittle it down through a series of mutual selections and the whole thing is very formalized. You might want to check the recruitment stories section for some background on how this is done at different schools.

Formal recruitment is also usually organized by the Panhellenic/Greek Life, so if you are a brand new org and are not part of the panhellenic yet, then I doubt you would participate in this right off the bat.

Informal recruitment is much more relaxed. Sororites may or may not hold informal recruitment at the same time as one another. Usually PNMs can go to whatever houses they want or are invited to and do not have to visit ever house. Generally if a school has formal recruitment one semester, informal recruitment is done the other (if at all).

Frills simply refers to how elaborate the recruitment may be. At some schools skits complete with costumes and props are used. at "no frills" schools, they might not be allowed to have costumes or matching outfits during the parties.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-14-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ok, the sorority is about almost a month old. we did not have the chance to go in front of student senate until next tuesday so once we do that we'll be established and recognized.
we are a local sorority, social but also have academic requirements but are established as a social sorority.
our rush is going to be 1 week long. there are no other sororities on campus we are the first. we do not have a sorority house, of course because we are h the first sorority on campus. as of now we do not plan on colonizing with a national sorority. we currently have 16 founding members, we do not know how many girls will rush next semester, but we hope to have quite a few.
to be honest we have a mix of different personalities of the founding sisters, some are preppy while others are girly AND preppy so really i dont have one answer for that question, we are quite diverse.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I recommend you look through the recruitment stories forum. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different stories that describe recruitments at different schools. An introduction night, a philanthropy night, and a formal "pref party" -- often with desserts and/or mocktails are pretty standard, but often schools have different theme nights above and beyond those. I'd start w/the recruitment stories forum, and you can pick and choose what works with your sorority and your campus.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

ok thank you im sorry if you were upset because i didn't pose my questions the way they should have been.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ok thank you im sorry if you were upset because i didn't pose my questions the way they should have been.
No one was upset-you decided to get defensive. The thing is, these questions are asked over and over again and you might have done better to search through threads and forming your questions on some sort of solid basis. No one here knows anything about your school, your sorority, anything like that.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".